Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's 2oosDAILY (Read 14 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pens and others.

Probably will only run 3 today in the hottest part of the day, of course,

PADRunner

Morning Jerry, 4 on the mill this morning group race tonight an 8k.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning Penguins.

I got in another 2 miles before work this morning.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Brilliant

Good Morning Penguins!

Jerry, stay cool.

PAD, have a great race!

Robert, nice running.

I'm going to run with my running club this morning.  5 miles or so. Then TRX class later.  Then tonight out with the running club to watch Run Free.

hog4life

Hey everyone, DW did 1.9 last night starting C25K, then I did more to end with 6.6

Today will me a rest day.

hog4life

Alright, I got a story, I know there has been countless threads, so I won't start another. I was talking to one of my running buddies yesterday, and he told me a story that he was attacked by a dog while out on a 10 mile run. He lives out in the country and was about 2 miles from his home. The dog was in a chain-link fence that had the double gates for the driveway. The gates were bent and twisted, so there was a large gap at the bottom. The dog charged him so quickly, that he never had time to stop running. He was bit very badly 3 times, all on the same leg. Bleeding like hell, nowhere to go, no trees, no cars, no neighbors. Finally a lady drove by that managed to use her car as a shield to help him escape. He ended up at the ER, police report filed, and 6-7 weeks for the wounds to heal. It took the police 3 weeks to find the dog because to owner was hiding the dog. Then the owner moved and got off the hook!

I would have killed that fucking dog!! I'm sorry, I am a dog owner of a large breed(Doberman), and if my dog ever mauled someone like that, I would kill that bitch myself. My buddy is scared to death now, and won't run there again, even though the shitheads moved. So after hearing this, I had my wife buy me some pepper spray to start carrying!!

Do you carry something?

The dog was a PIT BULL!! Another straw in my basket of why I dislike and don't trust that breed.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have Pilates and 6 miles tonight.

Mitch, that is so sad!  And it's bad because the dog would never have been so vicious if he had not been kept chained and behind a chain linked fence.  Hope your friend feels better (mentally and physically) soon.

Damaris

Zelanie

Mitch, that sucks!  I am sorry for your friend.  I think D2 has had a nasty dog run-in lately as well.

Brilliant- Enjoy the group run and movie day!

Jerry- Enjoy the itty bitty sauna run.

PAD- Good luck tonight!

Robert- Good to see you back!  I remember you had registered for an ultra a while back.  Is that still on?

D- Have a good run and Pilates!

I have a tempo run tonight (well, tempo intervals).  I haven't done one of those in a while.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey Penguins!!  Quick fly-by for me, as I have a million things to do and I have a service engineer here to fix the LC that I think I actually fixed yesterday.  Talk about timing!  But hey, I'm under warranty, so I'm not complaining.  Just wanted to say hey!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Do you carry something?

The dog was a PIT BULL!! Another straw in my basket of why I dislike and don't trust that breed.

No, I don't carry anything when I run.  But there are pit bulls in the neighborhood where I volunteer and walk the kids home.  One of them lives behind a 4ft fence; I know he could get out if he wanted to.  Another one lives behind a big fence but once he was out...I had 2 kids and one other volunteer with me and we sort of inched along the other side of the street as he watched us.  One day you'll be reading about me in the newspaper, I'm sure.  (I don't tell my husband these stories because that would be the last day I ever volunteered there)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Pitbulls are NOT aggressive by nature. That is a myth created by asshole abusers that train them to fight.

Damaris

Brilliant

Pitbulls are NOT aggressive by nature. That is a myth created by asshole abusers that train them to fight.

Yes, but that's why we have to be aware...you don't know if the one you're running across is owned by someone kind and gentle, or one of the abusers.  

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I did 1.1 miles and a 20 minute "recovery yoga" video.  I'm going to try to streak for September because looking back I felt really good during the Holiday streak last year.  I also want to like stress test my tummy issues.  1.1 miles = no problems at all, and I didn't take a TUMS beforehand.

Mitch - that dog story is really scary.  Luckily there are very few loose dogs in NYC because people don't really have yards.  I have had a dog on a leash lunge at me while its oblivious owner was texting.  I told the owner to watch their damn dog.  At least the phone flew out of the owner's hand.  I hope the damn thing broke, but I didn't stick around to see if that was the case.  I carry nothing - though pepper spray might be good for the groups of teenage boys by the projects.  (It is illegal in NYC though) They've never physically bothered me, but some of their comments, oh boy.

Allsion - how are the TRX classes?  when I was in PT for my shoulder they made me do a bit of TRX and it was hard!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, but that's why we have to be aware...you don't know if the one you're running across is owned by someone kind and gentle, or one of the abusers.  

Normally, I would say the ones left out on the street are not owned by someone that cares about animals, period.  So always assume that the ones that are loose (any breed) will be prone to attack so assume the worse.  They might be strays or lost dogs, but in my experience, if not lost, the owner is not a good careful owner.  IMO.

Did you see that the LA Marathon was switched to Valentine's Day?  Much cooler weather.

So scary!

Damaris