Beginners and Beyond

First Sub-30 5K (Read 93 times)

One of my goals for 2013 was to get a 30 minute 5K. I've come close (30:19, 30:46) but just couldn't get over the hump. So last night, I decided to give it another go. We got a nice break in the weather: 50 and sunny. Perfect. I've not been running long (Since last August) so the pace required to pull it off was quicker than is comfortable for me.

Mile 1 felt really good and I was surprised to see a time of 9:06.01. Mile 2 was where I was started to feel it. I developed a small stitch and self doubt crept in, but I managed 9:13.6. The last 1.1 to me was what running is all about. Digging deep and finding the determination to push through. At about 2.7, the all-too-familiar 'oh crap, i'm gonna puke' feeling set in, but quickly went away- thankfully. Mile 3 ended at 9:12.7 with the final 0.1 at :50.8. Grand total? 28:23.3.  I couldn't believe it! Not only did I reach sub-30, but in my opinion, I crushed it. And I'm pretty damn proud.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Nice job! As you continue to learn what you can really run through as far as discomfort and labored breathing, your times will just keep getting faster. It looks like it's time for another goal since you got this one so quickly.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

runmomto3boys

You absolutely crushed 30:00!!!  Congratulations!!!!  You should be thrilled!

Jess runs for bacon

Hot damn you killed it! Congratulations!!

Just B.S.

Good job!

Philliefan33

Congratulations!  I"m still chasing my sub-30, so it gives me hope to see someone hit that milestone.

robinde

Awesome job!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Indeed you killed it.  And if you did that on your own training run, even moreso.

Typically you'll do bett in a race than solo training.

If I were you, I'd enter a 5k near you and you may go even lower.  Usually the race environment will produce best results.

Congrats!

Randy

Thanks everyone. It feels good to be to the point where running is enjoyable. I'm REALLY looking forward to racing this year and (hopefully) not being in the very back of the pack!

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Woo hoo!!! That's awesome!!!!

I'd love to see sub-30 this year myself!

I agree that you should go test yourself in a race! Bet you'll kill it!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

Dude that's not just your opinion - in anyone's opinion, you crushed it! Great job!

Nicely done! I did that last week after it started pouring down rain at 1 1/2 miles. rainstorm=running faster who figured. What a great feeling, congrats!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Nice race!

GinnyinPA

Nicely done, especially without a race environment to push you.  As you get more miles the speed really does seem to come.  I did my first 5k right after finishing c25k and got 30:14.  Two months later I did another and ran 28:08.  The effort felt the same, but I was running twice as much each week. That made all the difference.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats!

Damaris