Beginners and Beyond

A marathon with a stop sign? (Read 86 times)

GinnyinPA

One of the nearby HMs crosses a busy highway twice.  I haven't run it, but I would imagine that runners often have to wait for traffic.  None of the local races close the streets off completely to traffic.  The races are small and early morning there isn't a lot of traffic, but it is there.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Ginny, this is unavoidable in small local races.

When they advertise a race as world-class and charge as much as they do, they better plan a course that doesn't require stopping for traffic.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Do they at least put the portapotty's at these traffic stops so you can make better use of the down time?

B-Plus

also, it's very disingenious to claim that wave release and corral seeding could fix any of this.  They were stopping people every few minutes, it looks like. And these were not back of the packers who got stopped.

I don't know if the organizers were actually clueless that all cars were being let through in previous years, or just pretending. This is pretty ridiculous for a race that tries to bill itself as a big player and with that pretty high registration fee. But hey, it's one of Forbes top 10 destination marathons!

Cyberic

I don't know if the organizers were actually clueless that all cars were being let through in previous years, or just pretending. This is pretty ridiculous for a race that tries to bill itself as a big player and with that pretty high registration fee. But hey, it's one of Forbes top 10 destination marathons!

Do you run it?

LRB

But the problem is starting again after stopping.

Exactly!

Do we know what mile this occurs at?

Simply put, I would avoid this race at all costs. Otherwise, there is no one else to blame but yourself should you happen to be one of the unfortunate few who get stopped.

B-Plus

Do you run it?

I've done the half. No stops!

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Early in the race - Between 3 and 5K, in the third mile.

Still ridiculous.

It happens to be Canada's second-largest marathon, well behind Ottawa but slightly ahead of Toronto Waterfront.  As far as I know, neither of the other races plans to introduce "controlled intersections", aka runner stoppage, the way Vancouver does.

Do we know what mile this occurs at?

RSX

2 of my 50 state marathon friends have run 1 that starts in Maine, goes through New Brunswick, then back to Maine. Their bottleneck was stopping at the border twice. That race is heading for year 3 and that sounds so cool

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

But hey, it's one of Forbes top 10 destination marathons!

Ah yes, the Bible of Marathon Racing.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

It happens to be Canada's second-largest marathon, well behind Ottawa but slightly ahead of Toronto Waterfront.  As far as I know, neither of the other races plans to introduce "controlled intersections", aka runner stoppage, the way Vancouver does.

On the other hand, the Montreal marathon could be a much prettier route. By not wanting to disrupt traffic or having controlled intersections, they chose a pretty boring course. Not that I mind, personnally, I live here, but it must be pretty low on the Forbes list as a destination marathon, whereas in Vancouver they chose to make it go past all the nice things to see.