Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race Number 88: Race To The Pantry 5K. (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20race%20reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2087%20Race%20To%20The%20Pantry%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 88th race of 2018 was the Race To The Pantry 5K on Dec 15, held in Canyon Lake, Texas. This event supports Community Resource and Recreation Center (CRRC) food bank in Satler, TX.  There was also a 10K.  About 92 participants with the majority of them doing the 5K.  Race site was about a 45-minute drive from where I live, with a start time of 8 a.m.  I arrived with about 45 minutes to go and got a few photos before the start.  The community hall where we started and finished was all decked out very nicely for the holidays.

The race shirt

photo IMG_1551_zpsarpxioc7.jpg

Race Management company Athlete Guild did the timing and results. 

photo IMG_1484_zpsciphqqqc.jpg

Front entrance of the community center, where packet pickup was, plust pre-and-post-race activities.

photo IMG_1497_zps5vsymulu.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

Race Day volunteers

photo IMG_1498_zps45r2odxj.jpg

photo IMG_1499_zpszruatvpl.jpg

My friend Don with his friend.  This race was Don's 102nd race of the year.

photo IMG_1485_zpszqjejso1.jpg

My speedy friend Sammy

photo IMG_1486_zpsdtqtlorq.jpg

Inside the community center area, with friend Joe. 

photo IMG_1487_zpse6oxi38z.jpg

Medals awaiting their recipients post-race

photo IMG_1493_zps0mjr8g6o.jpg

Very christmasy in the center

photo IMG_1500_zps6oqdr3bi.jpg

photo IMG_1501_zps6lbde3oa.jpg

Our MC

photo IMG_1502_zps08zfpa6j.jpg

photo IMG_1488_zpsgdfigxva.jpg

photo IMG_1489_zpsdcmwbmzd.jpg

photo IMG_1490_zpsugth8uqj.jpg

photo IMG_1491_zps37cdiwdh.jpg

photo IMG_1494_zpsztbtawe5.jpg

photo IMG_1495_zpsnrjwlx9c.jpg

photo IMG_1503_zpsbtwt92nt.jpg

photo IMG_1504_zpsednkth5x.jpg

With my friend, Yeti the Wonder Dog.  Joe is Yeti's human.  The stuff this dog can do is amazing.  He makes Rin Tin Tin and Lassie look like slackers, lol.

photo IMG_1496_zpsuivp3evt.jpg

This was the speedy guy that was first in my age group for the 5K

photo IMG_1505_zpsmd4zu19x.jpg

photo IMG_1507_zpsk5nyhch1.jpg

Waiting to start

photo IMG_1508_zps1o9kqtvn.jpg

ON THE COURSE

10K participants started about 10 minutes before the 5K people.   10K did a loop course while the 5K did an out-and-back course.  I heard from some of the 10K folks post-race there were a couple pretty good-sized hills along their course.  The 5K course pretty much had long inclines, nothing I’d really call a ‘hill”.  I did this event last year and it was cold and cloudy and windy.  This year we had bright sunshine, blue skies, and a bit of a wind; much better than last year.  Temp near 48 at our start time. I ended up with a 34:06 chip time, which was good enough for 2nd in my 60 – 64 age group.

The course was open to traffic.  Small community,. so most residents knew about the race and the drivers were pretty polite and patient about it all.

photo IMG_1509_zpsnmey1tmy.jpg

photo IMG_1510_zpsyh6ou1ns.jpg

photo IMG_1511_zpsdfejevdq.jpg

photo IMG_1512_zps4ubewwex.jpg

Yeti loves to run.  Here is he, pacing Joe.

photo IMG_1513_zpszcxkm6p8.jpg

Our scenery...homes like this along the way and there was a creek to our right going out, our left coming back

photo IMG_1514_zpsxhtsirwf.jpg

Made the turn-round and am now heading back to the finish. 

photo IMG_1515_zpsuzt18wm6.jpg

photo IMG_1516_zps6hnr9ntx.jpg

photo IMG_1517_zpsxnb5rzpf.jpg

Looking back toward the turn-round, into the sun.  We had a very bright day.

photo IMG_1518_zpsk9twlhgw.jpg

photo IMG_1519_zpspizpyzr0.jpg

After that last photo, nonstop back to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

After getting a dry base-layer shirt under my outer-layer, I then wandered around a bit and got some after-photos and also enjoyed some very nice post-race goodies that included sausage wraps, some really good beer from local Guadalupe Brewing Company, and various other snacks. My friends Bernadette and Don did this one too – their 102nd race of the year for each of them – and, as usual they placed in their age groups. Bernadette was first in hers.

One of the 10K folks finishing

photo IMG_1523_zpsh5pbglwn.jpg

I ran quite a bit on the course near this little lady in the back and her Dad coming in

photo IMG_1524_zpskckrfnuk.jpg

photo IMG_1525_zps5cpmmfil.jpg

Happy finishers,  volunteers, some of the medal winners, etc

photo IMG_1521_zpskc7o2ldr.jpg

photo IMG_1522_zpsfteg7lmb.jpg

photo IMG_1526_zpsf4smjow9.jpg

photo IMG_1527_zps07uuzvsh.jpg

Army National Guard was present.  Had a nice chat with these two great people.

photo IMG_1528_zps7hzdcc2h.jpg

Inside now enjoying the goodies and the awards ceremony

photo IMG_1529_zps5vbfdrvk.jpg

Thank you, Guadalupe Brewing Company.  Good beer!

photo IMG_1530_zpsjy85r7gp.jpg

photo IMG_1531_zpseiworgdj.jpg

photo IMG_1532_zpspnenihwd.jpg

photo IMG_1533_zpswytjof6e.jpg

photo IMG_1535_zpsnjmmvo63.jpg

photo IMG_1536_zpsx3hzsbtu.jpg

photo IMG_1537_zps6xo77en4.jpg

Another great doggie and human.  Doggie got along well with Yeti.

photo IMG_1538_zpsnfcm0ntp.jpg

photo IMG_1540_zpst4bydehj.jpg

photo IMG_1542_zps9r3ichdi.jpg

photo IMG_1543_zpsmctcflgw.jpg

overall winners got nice placques

photo IMG_1539_zps3oqme430.jpg

Including the little lady who was sitting at the same table  as I was

photo IMG_1545_zps31e4ztvn.jpg

photo IMG_1549_zpsfohfocpu.jpg

Others got medals

photo IMG_1544_zpsfdoxruls.jpg

2nd in my age group.

photo IMG_1550_zpsozfoioiz.jpg

photo IMG_1546_zpsd906ln4y.jpg

photo IMG_1548_zpsl2zook0c.jpg

Yeti calmly took everything in....lol....dog cracks me up,  paws crossed and mellow...

photo IMG_1547_zpscpwajzua.jpg

When Santa is not there yet....

photo IMG_1534_zps1lzmns79.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a very friendly event done in a friendly community atmosphere.  The community hall was a nice place for the before-and-after ongoings; everyone could enjoy the many displays of holiday items in the hall and also had nice-and-warm indoor restroom facilities, much better than the usual race porta-potties.   Nice post-race goodies, pretty nice quality race shirt, and lots of friendly people.   I certainly would recommend this one to others and definitely would do it again.

Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us:  organizers and volunteers, sponsors, vendors,  the law enforcement folks out there for us, keeping us safe, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Big shout-out for what all of you do so we participants can have an event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt