Beginners and Beyond

My Newest Racing Lesson: Don't Jump to Conclusions (Read 165 times)

Love the Half

Kristin:  Thanks.  Yeah, I like the floaters too.

Damaris:  The picture is deceiving.  If you were standing there, you'd think it is flat.  It's a very gradual slope.  And the compression socks are an experiment.  I'm going to use them on all of my hard workouts in July.  Then, I won't use them during the entire month of August and I'll see if I notice any difference.

Oski:  I think the dropoff to the 6:15 was probably a combination of the two - especially given the 6:05 on the slight downhill on Mile 3 when I'd run 6:01 on a slight uphill on Mile 3 at the WV 5K Championshiops two weeks earlier.

Socks:  Heh, heh.

Zelanie:  There is a fine line between staying within yourself vs racing for position.  I probably did a bit of both in this race.

Jay:  Yeah, the bling is the thing on occasion.  Go run a race on a hard course where a PR is impossible and it's the only thing.

LRB: If I thought the kid was in any real danger, I would have stopped but he looked fine other than puking from running too hard.

Bozy:  You wouldn't have wanted to see me shirtless five years ago.

Scotty:  Thanks.  Paces are all relative as we know.

Irish:  Thanks

George:  That is the key isn't it?  What place are you in when you cross the line?

Meaghan:  It doesn't sound like much in terms of elevation but it's just enough to affect your pace.

Tracy:  Thanks.  If I'm running slower, my hell strike is more pronounced.  It is very clear in half marathon pics.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Could mile 2 have been long and mile 3 short?

Nice racin' congrats on a successful outing...that's stiff competition for the 50-59 AG.  I hope I can put up those kind of times when I get there.  Congrats again.

**Ask me about streaking**

MrNamtor

Great RR. I always feel bad though because I go to the bottom to see what your time is. One day I'm expecting like a 17 minute 5k from you or something like that.

I see you applied the fast start-slow middle-fast end formula to your race (well kind of). I guess the pure form of that is your last mile is faster than your first? But you came pretty close to that.

TakeAHike

Nice race, especially on tired legs. It is fun to return to old races that mean something to you. Congrats on the strong finish and AG win. I'll be curious to hear what you think about the compression socks when you are done with your experiment.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Ric-G

congrats! that was some good racing and taking what the day gave you. agree that it isn't always about a pr...adjustments are part of the fun and challenge.

marathon pr - 3:16

workinprogress11

Great racing!  Congratulations on the AG and Masters wins.  I'll be interested to hear the results of your compression sock experiment.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm wary of the compression socks for running too.  Keep us posted on your experiment so that I can feel less inclined to join masses that have switched to them.  Those cone turn around spots are definitely awfully, and breaking your rhythm like that takes so much out of the legs.  Nice job getting the most out of yourself on some tired legs.  What kind of marathon training cycle are you going to run for Nov?

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Dr. Cornsitter

That floater makes you look like you're going a million mph.....oh wait, you were. Congrats! What a great outcome for a race you expected to just run for "fun." (I know you hate that idea, but you know what I mean.)

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.