Beginners and Beyond

Race Report MonDailies (Read 23 times)

GinnyinPA

I've run with pacers twice. The first time it was the pacer's first time pacing and he had no idea how to maintain pace while maintaining a conversation. His speed was all over the place. I left him after about a mile. The second time was better but he was trying to bank time in case of extra distance so he was about 10-20 seconds per mile faster than I expected. I lost him at a water stop, so went my own pace and was pretty consistent for the first half, then I slowed down. He passed me at mile 25-26. I ended up a minute and a half behind. Someone in his group told me they finished exactly where they were supposed to.

URD. We adopted an 8 year old lab/golden/??? mix from the Humane Society this afternoon. We pick him up tomorrow.

delicate flower

Sluggishness in a marathon taper feels like post-covid shot.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've run with pacers twice. The first time it was the pacer's first time pacing and he had no idea how to maintain pace while maintaining a conversation. His speed was all over the place. I left him after about a mile. The second time was better but he was trying to bank time in case of extra distance so he was about 10-20 seconds per mile faster than I expected. I lost him at a water stop, so went my own pace and was pretty consistent for the first half, then I slowed down. He passed me at mile 25-26. I ended up a minute and a half behind. Someone in his group told me they finished exactly where they were supposed to.

URD. We adopted an 8 year old lab/golden/??? mix from the Humane Society this afternoon. We pick him up tomorrow.

Congrats! Please share pics when you bring him home!

Damaris

Nice! Are you in MSP now? And are you still way south (like in Bloomington area?)? You just missed TCM yesterday, which I heard was a pretty great day - albeit a bit warm towards the end of the race. You should run it some year! With all the hills you do in your neck of the woods, miles 20-25 would feel like a breeze to you (it's a very slight incline those miles, but then a merciful downhill to the Capitol/finish area!).

Yep, just arrived a little bit ago. I'm in Eden Prairie. I knew about TCM when I booked my trip, I was very tempted...not this year, but sometime. I've heard good things.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

3,5 miles. Saw 10 deer & a fox. The fox was not cooperative, so no picture.

I've had experience with pacers in 2 races. First was in my second HM. I was way under prepared, think less than 150 miles for the 3 months prior to the race. Somewhere around mile 9 or 10, I started leapfrogging the 2:10 pacers (I was doing run/walk). They were dead on, I finished just behind them in 2:10:03 (totally unexpected 9 minute PR).  Next pacer experince was a few years later. I was sort of dreading the race after reviewing the map and hoping it was wrong since there was no mile 13. I did my first mile in 9:24. I have no clue what the pacers did theirs in, but I lost them early in the first mile and never saw them again. I should have been able to see them during the race, but nope. Oh, the map was not wrong and the race was not even 13 miles.