Beginners and Beyond

The Gow School 5K RR (Read 69 times)

delicate flower

Yeah, I wasn't clear there.

He didn't ask my name, or offer his, or attempt any of the other friendly gestures competitors normally make after a race.  Instead, he fired off an acidic "how old are you?", and then cemented the sour-grapes implication with "want to trade?".

Not very sporting of him.  Cool trophy.  I've never known a race to hand out cats before.

<3

Don't call me Buttercup!

You won a 5K in the middle of a 14 mile run?  (I read that correctly, yes? 7+ miles from your home, you ran there and back?)   I bow down to you. LOL   Congrats! ;-)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Ric-G

congrats jay and a fun read...that trophy does look heavy....nice job!

marathon pr - 3:16

SheCan

That's an awesome trophy!  Looks like it'd be a pain in the butt to carry on a 7 mile run though... just sayin...

And don't you know it's really inconsiderate to be born after someone else.  How dare you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

OK, I'm slow. 

At first pass, I read that literally.

LRB

I congratulated the 2nd place guy on a nice race, and he immediately started whining.  "How old are you?"  "36."  "Want to trade?"  "No thanks."  Dude... I get smoked by younger guys all the time and don't complain about it. 

Really doe!  I get smoked by younger, older, same age, same sex, opposite sex, those guys in the push rims, kids on skateboards, you name it!  lol

I could understand not being too thrilled with the finish time.  There is a window in which we operate and you sorta, kinda always want to be in it despite the conditions.

Having to ask which way to go absolutely should never flippin' happen but alas, it does all the time.  If you have to start wondering which way you have to go or God forbid, actually say it out loud, that is time lost.  And sometimes you never get it back.

As it is, nice race and nice way to get the miles in!

outoftheblue

Think how pissed that #2 guy would have been if you told him you just kind of knocked this 5K out in the middle of a long training run.

Congrats on a great race under really tough conditions.  I can't imagine racing in the snow.

Life is good.

Thanks for the kind words, all.  Smile

Baboon - sometimes there are even trophy dogs!

Zelanie

Yeah, today I think I'll take my MLR up a notch and maybe run the middle 3.1 at 5K pace over the snow.  That might be a good workout.

Congrats on the fantastic win.  How funny that Mr. 2nd place couldn't be a better sport about it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What an ass, Jay!  Thanks for the trophy picture!

Damaris

Love the Half

I have had the occasional bad race when I didn't say a word to anyone.  Just got in the car and went home.  That's still no reason to act like a d-bag to other runners and I don't think I have ever asked anyone's age.  Either you beat me or you don't.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Jay, late to the party here, but great race! Sounds pretty fast to me under those kind of conditions. A win is a win is a win. Perhaps you should've given the hardware away to the 2nd place guy, to save yourself the hassle of running all the way home with it. NOT!

Dave

happylily

Congratulations, Champion!

It's nice to do something just because you can. It's what freedom is all about. Freedom of mobility, good health, power. It's great that you're able to appreciate it, Jay. I agree that despite the finish time which wasn't a PR, it was still a pretty fine day for you.  Oh and I'd much rather be passed by younger people, than by people older than me. Not sure why this guy was whining like that? What a sourpuss...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RabbitChaser

Great job, Jay! Congratulations on your win! Thanks for sharing the RR.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nice little tempo run in the middle of your 17-miler. Must have been tough lugging that little trophy home and uphill at that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.