Beginners and Beyond

gdi. (Read 60 times)

delicate flower

LRB beat me to it.

<3

LRB

I was just mentioning to someone that I haven't needed hand warmers to run with this year. This is after going through like 30 of them the past two winters, keeping in mind that they were reusable!

#randomthoughts

onemile

I have only worn screw shoes for 2 or 3 runs!

delicate flower

I wonder what a "feels like" temp of 14 does to race performance (my last 10K).  Next weekend (my next 10K) is looking like 35 degrees.  I would think it's easier to race in the latter.

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I wonder what a "feels like" temp of 14 does to race performance (my last 10K).  Next weekend (my next 10K) is looking like 35 degrees.  I would think it's easier to race in the latter.

If only due to less clothing. (at least it would be for me)

onemile

The actual temp in the lower 20's?  My coach said 6-7 seconds per mile as this was what it was for my last two 5k's.  I didn't feel the weather was a factor though.

GinnyinPA

I find it harder to breathe if it's too cold, especially if there's a wind.  35 should be ideal.

LRB

If only due to less clothing. (at least it would be for me)

Yep, with a solid 2.5 - 3.5 mile warm-up, I can race in shorts in temps as low as 25. If it is so cold that I have to wear pants however, that means I am heavily layered up top and on my hands, and my performance will likely be affected.

DavePNW

Someone told me the cold slows you down because your body uses some of its energy to keep you warm, or some such BS. That someone IIRC was you. Although my 5k PR was the coldest day I've run here. Anyway, after how you killed it in the cold, I am frightened to see what you will do in the 30's.

My unrelated dilemma: I am looking at another 10k in 2 weeks. Not sure what I am expecting because it is the same course as my last one, one month later. Anyway: training schedule actually has a cutback next week, then a hard week following. Do I flip the weeks so the race is at the end of the cutback week, or do I keep them is & try to shuffle/cutback the hard week a little? (Of course I could blow off the race; the plan builds in races, but not till later.) Race is Sat.; hard part of the hard week is 10 w/5 LT on Tues, and 21 on Sun. Does not seem like a good idea to insert a 10k in there.

It's only week 6-7 of an 18 week plan (ugh, I have a long way to go), so maybe not that critical either way.

Dave

LRB

Someone told me the cold slows you down because your body uses some of its energy to keep you warm, or some such BS. That someone IIRC was you. Although my 5k PR was the coldest day I've run here. Anyway, after how you killed it in the cold, I am frightened to see what you will do in the 30's.

My unrelated dilemma: I am looking at another 10k in 2 weeks. Not sure what I am expecting because it is the same course as my last one, one month later. Anyway: training schedule actually has a cutback next week, then a hard week following. Do I flip the weeks so the race is at the end of the cutback week, or do I keep them is & try to shuffle/cutback the hard week a little? (Of course I could blow off the race; the plan builds in races, but not till later.) Race is Sat.; hard part of the hard week is 10 w/5 LT on Tues, and 21 on Sun. Does not seem like a good idea to insert a 10k in there.

It's only week 6-7 of an 18 week plan (ugh, I have a long way to go), so maybe not that critical either way.

Being so far removed from n00bness, most of us here can race during a moderate mileage, or even a high mileage week relatively easily. I would keep the plan as is and run the race.

onemile

So you are going to race a 10k on Saturday and then run 21 miles on Sun? That sounds like fun.  

Do you feel like you need a cutback now?  If not, I think switching the weeks might be best. Although personally I'd skip the 10k altogether if the marathon is your goal.

delicate flower

Someone told me the cold slows you down because your body uses some of its energy to keep you warm, or some such BS. That someone IIRC was you. 

I suppose what I should have asked was, "How much will an extra 20 degrees help my race time?"

<3

delicate flower

The actual temp in the lower 20's?  My coach said 6-7 seconds per mile as this was what it was for my last two 5k's.  I didn't feel the weather was a factor though.

Actual temp was low 20's, but there was a steady chilling breeze.  I don't how much the cold hurt me if at all, but I definitely felt the chill.

<3

Cyberic

Me too. As Sly mentioned, less clothes, so more freedom of movement, IMO.

Cyberic

"How much will an extra 20 degrees help my race time?"

Ask Damaris. She loves racing in extra 20 degrees.