Beginners and Beyond

Five days you work, One whole day to play - It's Saturday! (Read 45 times)

delicate flower

WHOA, NELLY!!

You were not content to only smoke the old dudes, you had to smoke the youngsters too!

WTG!

Thanks...as far as the coach goes, I asked him twice "Are you sure you really want me to race a 5K?"  He insisted I'd be fine but I had my doubts.  I know to trust him though.  I've got a 10K next Saturday too.

Short RR:

My warm up felt better than I expected, but there was definitely some fatigue there.  I lined up a couple of rows back because I was expecting something like a 21 minute 5K.  Tired legs, plus I have a cold.  I ran "comfortably hard" from the start and not at 5K effort.  I just didn't know how my legs would respond.  I didn't count the people in front of me because there were so many of them.  So for the first mile, I was just cruising, feeling good, enjoying the run.  Lots of people around me were sucking wind already, so I knew they were doomed.   My Garmin was being a dick.  I had no pace reading, then it was in the 9's, and my HR would not connect.  So, I stopped looking at it.  I hit the 1.5 mile turnaround feeling good, so I picked up the pace a little and starting passing people, and more people, and suddenly there were only three people in front of me.  A course marshall at mile 2 yelled "12:30!" and I thought, "Oh shit, that's close to a PR."  So, I stepped on the gas and gave it my all the last half of the race.  I passed another guy (kid) and was running side by side with another for the next half mile.  I pulled ahead into second by a few steps with a quarter mile to go, but he had another gear and flew past me, but I knew I was well ahead of the next person.  The race timer at the finish line shouted "19:01" as I crossed and I was like holy shit.  I collapsed in the grass for a few minutes, totally spent.  Splits were 6:20, 6:30, 6:06.  The old PR was over two years old and I am thrilled to have beaten that.

Garmin only got 3.03 miles, but the course is certified and I see other people on Strava got 3.1 miles, so this counts.  I also figure my HM and FM PR's are both long, so screw it.  Even if the course was short, which I don't think it was, this would equate to a 19:35 which would be my second best 5K.  Hell of a race either way and I don't know how the hell I pulled this off.

<3

Cyberic

Thanks...as far as the coach goes, I asked him twice "Are you sure you really want me to race a 5K?"  He insisted I'd be fine but I had my doubts.  I know to trust him though.  I've got a 10K next Saturday too.

Short RR:

My warm up felt better than I expected, but there was definitely some fatigue there.  I lined up a couple of rows back because I was expecting something like a 21 minute 5K.  Tired legs, plus I have a cold.  I ran "comfortably hard" from the start and not at 5K effort.  I just didn't know how my legs would respond.  I didn't count the people in front of me because there were so many of them.  So for the first mile, I was just cruising, feeling good, enjoying the run.  Lots of people around me were sucking wind already, so I knew they were doomed.   My Garmin was being a dick.  I had no pace reading, then it was in the 9's, and my HR would not connect.  So, I stopped looking at it.  I hit the 1.5 mile turnaround feeling good, so I picked up the pace a little and starting passing people, and more people, and suddenly there were only three people in front of me.  A course marshall at mile 2 yelled "12:30!" and I thought, "Oh shit, that's close to a PR."  So, I stepped on the gas and gave it my all the last half of the race.  I passed another guy (kid) and was running side by side with another for the next half mile.  I pulled ahead into second by a few steps with a quarter mile to go, but he had another gear and flew past me, but I knew I was well ahead of the next person.  The race timer at the finish line shouted "19:01" as I crossed and I was like holy shit.  I collapsed in the grass for a few minutes, totally spent.  Splits were 6:20, 6:30, 6:06.  The old PR was over two years old and I am thrilled to have beaten that.

Garmin only got 3.03 miles, but the course is certified and I see other people on Strava got 3.1 miles, so this counts.  I also figure my HM and FM PR's are both long, so screw it.  Even if the course was short, which I don't think it was, this would equate to a 19:35 which would be my second best 5K.  Hell of a race either way and I don't know how the hell I pulled this off.

19:01!!! Wow! You're fast, buddy! Can you imagine how good you'd be if you didn't spend all that time and energy in water and on two wheels?

Cyberic

Was out shopping for the kids, and I walked by a rack of shoes 50% off in  a sports store. There was a pair of Nike Free RN flyknits my size, light grey. Tried them on, because 50%, and brought them home. Dunno if I'll run with them of walk with them, but the knit is a very comfortable upper, and hopefully I'll love my new shoes Smile. First time I buy Nike running shoes.

GinnyinPA

Phil - I'm amazed you could PR a week after a marathon. My legs barely waddle a week after.  Excellent job.

13.2 miles for me on a cool (48) and cloudy day. I'm not looking forward to the colder weather. I like 40s and 50s.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Just under 4 miles because IDGAF. 9 deer.

Baboon, congrats!

onemile

Short RR:

If everyone else got 3.1, clearly your GPS crapped out. Nice job and congrats!

LRB

Phil - I'm amazed you could PR a week after a marathon. My legs barely waddle a week after.  Excellent job.

He does it after every marathon. It's annoying. 

LRB

5K result is in: 19:01, for an 11 second PR. 3rd OA. What the hell is happening??  Waiting on awards now.

A sub-3:00 marathon apparently.

Nice work!

LRB

I ran 8. I waited so long to get started though till I didn't get anything else done. Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted?

delicate flower

He does it after every marathon. It's annoying. 

I can see that.   

<3

I had my half today, and it went really well!  No PR, but honestly, I wasn't expecting to, and I did better than I thought I would, so it was all good.  Up until about 5 days out, the wind was supposed to be wicked -- the race is in a beach town (which we visit frequently and love), so it's usually a little worse anyway -- but ultimately there was NO wind.  Upper 30's at the start, but absolutely beautiful!  It was also my 1st solo race.  Hubs and DS1 had tickets to a concert a couple of hours away, and my race was a little less than a couple of hours away, so we each did our own thing.  Kinda cool.  Booked myself a nice little hotel room and chilled.  The hotel was perfectly situated, walking distance to lots of restaurants, and literally within less than 10 minutes of start and 1 minute of finish.  Definitely on my radar as a repeat race.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats, nurunner!

Phil, nice placing (OA and AG!)

Ran 5 outside in 79F and 62DP.  Felt hot for some reason (normally that's Winterish for us).  Meh.

Damaris

Coastal

Congrats Nurunner.  Sounds like a great place and race.

Baboon -- cruising the first half of a new PR 5K???  Go out and hammer that 10K into submission next weekend.  Oh, yeah, congrats on the placement .  It's fun beating the young kids.  I get a kick out of the double take you get when pulling up along side.  Of course, gray hair helps.

ZZy:  Nice work out.

Got in two miles on the TM.  Can't get into the PT until the 20th so going to need to work on flexibility by myself till then.  Hips, quads, hams are really tight.  Going to take some work loosening things up.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats Nurunner.  Sounds like a great place and race.

Baboon -- cruising the first half of a new PR 5K???  Go out and hammer that 10K into submission next weekend.  Oh, yeah, congrats on the placement .  It's fun beating the young kids.  I get a kick out of the double take you get when pulling up along side.  Of course, gray hair helps.

ZZy:  Nice work out.

Got in two miles on the TM.  Can't get into the PT until the 20th so going to need to work on flexibility by myself till then.  Hips, quads, hams are really tight.  Going to take some work loosening things up.

What's hurting again?  I missed it.  Ugh, waiting until the 20th sucks!

Damaris

Baboon- Nicely done! Congrats on the PR!

Coastal- What happened?

Well I tried to run today. Wednesdays run didn't go so well and was in some pain with this hip flexor. Kept it really conservative with just 2m. No pain but some tightness. Will give it a go again tomorrow for something short.I'm loosing my freaking mind. I know its only been a week off but I feel like I'm loosing all my fitness (I know I'm not). You know; you think taper crazies are bad...this sucks. My hope is that I can resume some easy running while this thing fully heals up. Will probably be starting my HM cycle in Jan so I need to be 100% and in decent aerobic shape.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???