Beginners and Beyond

WWW.WednesdayPenguins.run (Read 39 times)

Sloooow.

IMO, it's bad.  But watch it and see, otherwise you will be wondering about it forever.

I haven't even started the last season of Dexter, and I have loved that show for years. I haven't completely loved a season since Trinity though.

You ladies and gentlemen have been busy today. I took a rest day yesterday as I had my post op appointment. Today is scheduled 3 miles, which will be on the treadmill as the other half is working a 24 hour shift. I'm going to be good and set the treadmill to 5mph. He is also working a 48 hour shift Saturday/Sunday so I will have to  switch my long run from Sunday to Friday, if I want to run outside. Weather is beautiful here, lows in the upper 40 and highs in the 70's. I wish it would stay like this all year.

Gustav, hope the easy 4 goes well. I'm a newer convert to pumpkin. I made a really good pumpkin chocolate chip bread last week.

Bin, hopefully little ones levels will continue to drop! Did your cough start before the smog, or after it? Could it possibly be some lung damage from that?

Awood, cold AND rainy doesn't sound too pleasant!

Philliefan, have fun with your speedy run tonight.

Kristin, lol @ running back and forth on your block. I've done that a couple of times to round up. You will get a PR in the fall, I'm sure!

Docket, have a wonderful 4 tonight with your hubby.

Scotty, weather sounds lovely for you. I think you are due a rest day though! You have a busy weekend ahead of you if I recall correctly?

Zelanie, enjoy your rest day.

Jimmy, hope your steady work out goes well. Never seen PLL, but hey, you ENJOY your chick shows! My other half watches some chicky shows.

HopesMom it's starting to look a lot like Christmas! Christmas gigs sounds like fun.

Jack, sorry about the tired legs. Hopefully the 60 minutes knocks it out of them.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Coralie, I felt the same way.  Since the Trinity season, every season has gone down until you're begging someone to kill Dexter in a show of fury to end it before the series did.  ha.

Damaris

tracilynn

My sister makes that pumpkin roll every Thanksgiving and it really is heavenly.  Very dangerous for me.  She always gives me a leftover roll to take home.  You are suppose to slice It and get several servings per roll but I usually eat the whole damn roll Evil.  It's so so good.  yay Thanksgiving is only a month away!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I don't think I've ever watched any of these show, and I had to google javelina.  What am I missing out on?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I don't think I've ever watched any of these show, and I had to google javelina.  What am I missing out on?

Breaking Bad is very good. I'm not much of a tv watcher and I have not seen any of the others.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Depends on what you like.  I watched Dexter for a while and then stopped, don't know why,  Just didn't interest me any more. Criminal Minds is good, but it started getting way too crazy for me, can only take so much of that 'mad killer' stuff at a time, I guess.   I tend to watch a lot of crime-solving shows like the NCIS series, and I like the Sherlock Holmes show, and Blue Bloods and stuff like that.  Also tend to watch a lot of comedies.  And since our cable company now has "ME" TV in its lineup, I watch a lot of the old shows I grew up with, lol...Daniel Boone with ole Fess Parker, Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen, The Saint with Roger Moore, Route 66, Peter Gunn, etc.   Some of the younger folks here probably never heard of those shows, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm mostly sports and comedy.  There's enough drama in the world.  I don't really need to pipe it into the house.  Personal preference I guess.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

tracilynn

Alaska the new frontier is my new favorite show. I think it's on Discovery channel Sunday nights. We DVR it. Its About a family living in Alaska through the winters, trying not to freeze or be eaten, raising their own food,  chickens and cattle , planting gardens in the summer, raising cattle, fishing, hunting bear And lots of cool stuff they totally live "off the land," and off grid.  Very cool show.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4.5 @ 10:00.  Should have done LR, but wasn't prepared and still have this head cold. A few snowflakes in the air.  Got our winter RW Care package today. Gloves, headbands, beanie, arm warmers, socks, etc.  Still can't stay logged in to RA, Daily Mile, or Runkeeper, can't figure it out.  Hate logins.  FB and Gmail are okay.

GinnyinPA

Gustav - that was a long run for intervals.  Hope your 4 easy went well.

Bin - I'm glad your daughter is doing better.  Good job on the early 6.

Awood- good for training, but not much fun when you're out in a cold rain.  I still haven't had to run in the rain.  But if I ever get back to training for a long race, I will probably have to.

Margo - which plan are you following?  I hope the tempo run went well.

Kristin - did you walk between the tempo portions?

Damaris - hope your run with your husband.

Scotty - I'm with you.  I like the old series too, though I've never heard of Me network.  I do watch some of the old comedies and dramas when I can.   I don't have HBO which limits me on a lot of the hot tv programs.  I don't like psychotic killers either, so didn't mind not seeing Dexter.  Sounds like yesterday was a hard day, but nice, with both a run and the gym.

Melanie - enjoy your concert tonight.

Jimmy - enjoy your run tonight.  Hope all goes well.

HopesMom - one advantage of doing Christmas concerts - a lot of the music is familiar already.  Makes it easier to memorize.  Have fun.

Jack - hope your run goes well, whichever you end up doing.  I knew you were doing Tucson.  It's a pretty town, though I'm not too sure about the course you're running.  Long downhills can be hard on the body.  Personally, I would have chosen Lost Dutchman, since I like being in the desert more than in town, but I know you were impatient to do your first full.

Cherie - I've run into javelina while hiking, and it can be a bit scary.  They have a bad rep, probably deserved.  Still, it's always fun to run into unusual wildlife on the trail.  My oddest was a coatimundi.  Scariest was mama griz with cub.  (Obviously, not around here. Wink Do you do mostly trail running or streets?

Coralie - what did the doctor say about your ear?  Is everything healing well?  I hope you get to enjoy a good long run this week.  Switching days is a good idea, if it means you get to enjoy the outdoors for your long run.

AFM:  I did 5 on the TM.  It was hard, but it felt really good.  Running only once or twice a week means I'm still losing fitness and gaining weight, but more slowly than if I weren't doing any running,

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Traci: I like that one. It's also on our dvr. Did you see the one where there changed the outhouse? Good stuff, that.

Ginny: the course starts in Oracle and finishes in Tucson. You are right about the hills. I changed my mind and I'm off to do 12 very easy pace.

SheCan

Breaking Bad is very good. I'm not much of a tv watcher and I have not seen any of the others.

We're at the beginning of the 4th season also.  Didn't like season 4 episode one.  Seems the flow was interrupted, but I'm sure we'll get back into it quickly.

Also I'm a biggest Loser fan.  That show helped me so much when I was first starting running.  I've liked it every since.  I like a lot of reality shows (I know I'm such a loser!)  Modern Family and Suburbatory are my favorite comedies-- I like movie comedies better then sitcoms.

Awood-- glad I mentioned the Javalina's then.  They're cute aren't they?  The babies are adorable!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

Cherie - I've run into javelina while hiking, and it can be a bit scary.  They have a bad rep, probably deserved.  Still, it's always fun to run into unusual wildlife on the trail.  My oddest was a coatimundi.  Scariest was mama griz with cub.  (Obviously, not around here. Wink Do you do mostly trail running or streets?

Yikes @ mama Grizzly with at cub!  Scary dangerous.  I don't think I've ever seen a coatimundi other then in the zoo and stuffed one in nature shops.  You had exciting times on the trails.  I've seen one bear ever and 3 thousand deer, turkey, quite a few coyote, and javalina-- but they've never scared me.  Scariest thing I saw on my run was a guy almost pulled a gun on me recently.  He was really embarrassed when he seen it was just me and started making all sorts of apologies.  I run on the road, but on the edge of town, and on trails both Ginny, mostly been on the roads lately because the trails have not been cleaned up since a really heavy, late monsoon season.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

Late checkin for me. Took another RD in prep for the half this weekend. I don't watch any of them TV shows.

Traci, you can call me to come get the pumpkin roll, no need in you eating all of it.

Philliefan33

Late in replying to Awood, Zelanie, and Ginny...but just in case they are still here:

I'm running my second HM on Nov. 16th. I have been using a 20- week Running Wizard plan. This is the first time I've been able to (mostly) follow a plan; the Ryan Hall plan that I tried for the first HM had more speed work than I could handle. I don't know if the RW plan is a better "fit" for me or if I've just finally gotten strong enough to handle it, but this time through has gone better. I feel more prepared for this HM than for my first.

I will put in a little plug for the RW plan. Take it with a grain of salt, since I have very little experience at following plans.   The plan is semi-customized for each runner based on theit starting point (determined by recent race times and a couple ofquestions) and the goal race. It goes through different stages:  aerobic, hills, anaerobic, coordination, and taper. Along the way there are explanations of what each workout is meant to accomplish, common mistakes, even adaptations if needed.  Each week, the runs are ranked so that if you have to miss a run you can juggle to keep the most important runs. One potential downside is that you have to pay for the plan, but I feel like the $40 was well spent in my case. That's only $2 per week--quite a bargain for what I've learned.