Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Also known as Fat Thursday (Read 35 times)

From the Internet.

I think I might win this game...yay?

Boston area checking in, I probably don't win but am certainly a top contender, lol.

6 miles easy this afternoon. Tomorrow may be kind of a wash - was supposed to be MLR/workout but it's going to be thunderstorms all morning. I'll run SOMETHING but may not be what I wanted!

GinnyinPA

I ran 6.5 on the TM during our afternoon storm.

RunningOnSand

ROS, would it make sense to have the mileage discussion with your coach post marathon and after taking some time off? Just thinking if you are a bit burned out on the more intense training, it may seem like an ideal solution to run more miles at an easier pace, but maybe it's a case of thinking the grass is greener.

I was wondering this, too (the grass is greener scenario). I’m hoping if I can drop some of the intensity and just run easier mileage it’ll help (after the marathon). Also, per your question yesterday about time vs mileage with my coach: he does a lot with time (aka run x minutes) so maybe he thinks I’ve gotten faster and can cover more ground? I don’t think it could amount to more than a few miles per week though. 🤷🏼‍♀️ And, I’m hoping that I do better than planned on the Tunnel (per LRB’s thought of a race going well to help get out of the slump).

RunningOnSand

Re: col: Minneapolis is actually pretty high, especially for a midwestern state. But it is nowhere close to some of you.

RunningOnSand

Other than a bit of time between cycles, my time off from marathon training generally only comes as a result of injury. I don't recommend that option.

So you are running workouts almost year round? 

RunningOnSand

Good morning!  I ran/walked 5.3 miles to work.  Today was a couple of degrees cooler, lower humidity and there was a breeze.  It was almost pleasant.

How are you feeling?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I was wondering this, too (the grass is greener scenario). I’m hoping if I can drop some of the intensity and just run easier mileage it’ll help (after the marathon). Also, per your question yesterday about time vs mileage with my coach: he does a lot with time (aka run x minutes) so maybe he thinks I’ve gotten faster and can cover more ground? I don’t think it could amount to more than a few miles per week though. 🤷🏼‍♀️ And, I’m hoping that I do better than planned on the Tunnel (per LRB’s thought of a race going well to help get out of the slump).

I am the same whenever I run by time.  I would have to get super fast to be able to cover a lot more ground on an easy run.  And my easy pace has not really varied much in 5 years.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Me too, lol.

Damaris

RunningOnSand

Me too, lol.

oy! How do you guys not get burned out?

also, was meaning to mention the photos yesterday, HC. Crazy! (and gorgeous)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

oy! How do you guys not get burned out?

If you race frequently, it's pretty hard not to run quality workouts and expect to race well.  I avoid burnout by changing focus on my primary race distance. every few years.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

When I am healthy, yes; other than a few weeks post-marathon, I try to get in one workout a week. Usually some kind track intervals. Because the other thing I am doing during that time is racing 5k/10k.

Quite the opposite of a burnout problem (mentally anyway); just running easy every day gets pretty boring.. Physically, I have no idea what’s good for me.

Dave