Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 42: District 9 and District 10 Veterans 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 42nd race of 2019 was the District 9 and District 10 Veteran’s 5K held on June 29 and put on by San Antonio Sports (sanantoniosports.org), with a mission to transform lives in the San Antonio community through the power of sport. Hosts for this event were our District 9 and District 10 City Councilmen and the event had a whole lot of sponsors.  This was a free event held at Virgil Blossom Stadium, and athletics complex of the North East Independent School District (NEISD).  The first 2,000 registrants got chip-timed bibs.   I’m not sure if the event ended up having 2,000 there on race day, but there sure were a lot of people in attendance, as these free council district events are quite popular.

My wife was in attendance too, walking this one as we began this anniversary day for us – the 35th anniversary of the day we met back in 1984 in Honolulu, Hawaii.  My wife is a saint for being able to put up with me for that many years.

We live quite close to Blossom Stadium, only a few miles, so with an 8 a.m. start time we were able to sleep in a bit and then head on over.  Got there with just under an hour to go to the 8 a.m. start time, and got a few photos.

With my wife before the start.  Happy 'Day We Met" 35th Anniversary

photo IMG_0603_zpsdsrvsmgn.jpg

Welcome to NEISD

photo IMG_0613_zpsfntp7ntn.jpg

...and the event

photo IMG_0615_zpsktiju9ha.jpg

photo IMG_0616_zpsshfcnu4j.jpg

RRP Timing folks.  Soler Sports - the sign behind them - were the folks who laid out the course for us.

photo IMG_0625_zpslk0ovewd.jpg

photo IMG_0626_zpsv5jhkusw.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc

photo IMG_0605_zpsn31adkqm.jpg

photo IMG_0606_zpsyedthpig.jpg

photo IMG_0607_zpsjcano7pd.jpg

photo IMG_0608_zpseprhqxsf.jpg

photo IMG_0609_zpsgg3ovghk.jpg

photo IMG_0610_zpsukq07xi4.jpg

photo IMG_0614_zpsrtncb58o.jpg

photo IMG_0611_zpsgp1f45eh.jpg

photo IMG_0612_zpsz3nbgy1g.jpg

photo IMG_0617_zpsgxlrtaam.jpg

photo IMG_0619_zpsjl8y3kpk.jpg

photo IMG_0620_zps7r86hadz.jpg

photo IMG_0621_zpsbobb3mnj.jpg

photo IMG_0622_zpsgffywqum.jpg

photo IMG_0623_zpsnjzwjenk.jpg

photo IMG_0624_zpshlazakyi.jpg

photo IMG_0627_zpsgha7sqhn.jpg

photo IMG_0628_zpstqds58up.jpg

photo IMG_0629_zpsbg4crflh.jpg

photo IMG_0630_zpsrd9o7rif.jpg

photo IMG_0631_zpsfcfarqsr.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo IMG_0635_zpsg1ttjujy.jpg

photo IMG_0632_zpsgtccynbz.jpg

photo IMG_0633_zpszr3qxsek.jpg

photo IMG_0634_zpsanbpak2l.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Blossom Stadium is a pretty large sports complex with a football type stadium with a track that goes around it; tennis courts; soccer fields; and a natatorium with Olympic size pool, diving boards for diving competitions, and so forth.  It is also the ‘bus barn’ area for a lot of the NEISD school buses, so a large parking area for the buses near the stadium.  The course took us through part of the parking lot area and then along the outside of the stadium; onto a road going past soccer fields, then down to a turn-round point; then into the back part of the complex, taking us along a short grassy area, then back onto one of the stadium roads; then into the stadium, doing a half-loop around the track; exit the stadium, and we were back on one of the roads we had started on and proceeded to the finish the same way we had started out.  I ended up with 34:51, averaging about 11:14 per mile, which is pretty much my usual pace these days.

A little past 1/2 mile for me

photo IMG_0636_zpslhd2cqyh.jpg

photo IMG_0637_zps7nd3ubfz.jpg

photo IMG_0638_zpsufhslgqa.jpg

photo IMG_0639_zpswdkr9wvb.jpg

photo IMG_0641_zps4cuyjddb.jpg

photo IMG_0642_zpsjqjppuex.jpg

A little past the halfway mark for me

photo IMG_0643_zpszntfcld1.jpg

photo IMG_0644_zpswvy5a69x.jpg

This lovely lady is good...I wanna be able to take a quick nap too when I run...  

photo IMG_0646_zpsuiquiggr.jpg

photo IMG_0647_zps6v6mvlj6.jpg

photo IMG_0648_zpsiwnuydbw.jpg

Past Mile 2 now....on the stadum track...

photo IMG_0649_zpsp8fdrxlh.jpg

photo IMG_0650_zpsp9thxoht.jpg

photo IMG_0651_zpspuw0cm42.jpg

After that last photo, nonstop running to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water and a banana, did a cool down walk, sipping and eating, and then it was time to get some “happy finisher et al” photos.

photo IMG_0652_zpss9wzgjuv.jpg

photo IMG_0653_zpsdg0sc32z.jpg

photo IMG_0655_zpswh51muzp.jpg

photo IMG_0660_zpsmfcqlxuh.jpg

photo IMG_0656_zpsm4hzn9mu.jpg

photo IMG_0657_zpsrqlvg3qc.jpg

photo IMG_0658_zpsrddqge9g.jpg

photo IMG_0659_zpslrnvs0bx.jpg

My wife walked the course, finishing in 44:58 chip time, averaging 14-something minute miles.

photo IMG_0661_zpsveuwn5wm.jpg

My speedy friend Albert was 1st male in 70+ age group

photo IMG_0662_zpsexmlztft.jpg

photo IMG_0665_zps9gydozhm.jpg

These two speedy little guys were right near me as we all went to the finish line.  Here with their very speedy Dad, who did 7-something minute miles.

photo IMG_0666_zpsekcf9zvm.jpg

Good running, guys!  See them over the year at several races, and hope to seem them at races in the future.

photo IMG_0667_zpsfyhbtrkz.jpg

Thank you, San Antonio Sports crew

photo IMG_0668_zpsiemehcan.jpg

photo IMG_0669_zpseqy1i1wz.jpg

photo IMG_0670_zpsc6hpjfng.jpg

photo IMG_0672_zpsbckvuung.jpg

photo IMG_0675_zpsywk5preb.jpg

photo IMG_0676_zpsec5x1j5n.jpg

photo IMG_0677_zpspdzo6fjb.jpg

Thank you, volunteers

photo IMG_0673_zpsyjyfokko.jpg

photo IMG_0674_zpsp1h9shal.jpg

EPILOGUE

My friends from Soler Sports did a great job in laying out a pretty darn nice course for this one with what they had to work with.  We weaved all around, making a lot of turns but it was done is such a way that people going out could not interfere with people already heading back to the finish; and it was sure better than doing loops around the huge parking lot, which is what I first thought the course would be when I saw the location for it on the registration site. The way the course was laid out, we also got to see many parts of the complex that most people don’t see or know about, so that was pretty cool too. Nicely done, Roger and Lisa.

Event was well organized – I never saw any “crowding” for race day packet pickup, everything seemed to flow very smoothly and San Antonio Sports had all their stuff done well too – stage setup, announcements done, volunteers all in place, etc – and several sponsors were there as well, giving away some nice freebies and there were also finisher medals. RRP Timing did a great job with the results, they were electronically posted just about immediately after you crossed the finish line.

I think this was the inaugural race for this one and from my point of view, where I was at any given time before, during, and after, it seemed to go pretty darn well.  Definitely would do this one again and would recommend it.

Mucho thanks to all the people and the organizations that made this one happen for we participants, including San Antonio Sports; Soler Sports; RPP Timing; all the sponsors supporting this one,; police officers and medical staff onsite; NEISD folks;  and anyone I may have missed or did not mention here. Thank you all so much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt