Beginners and Beyond

Freaking Map My Run vs Garmin. (Read 52 times)

RunningOnSand

I think you know the difference between an 8:17 pace and a 9:23 pace. Which did it feel like?

Look at your track. It will show if one of them did something funky like lose signal and then pick back up, cutting a corner and giving you less distance and thus slower pace or bounced around giving you more distance and thus faster pace.

Honestly it felt more like an 8:17 pace. I did look at my satellite track and no super weird mishaps. I'll look on MMR and see if it gives me something weird.

Quickadder

• I have been using MapMyRun and find that it usually fairly accurate - within 2%. Comparing with other runners using Garmin, we tend to be pretty close when running straight lines such as road races. However, when we get on the twisting turning trails, Garmin seems to cut corners and ends up with shorter distances by 10-20%.

GC100, if you were running streets I'd suggest going with the Garmin. If on trails then use MMR. You could download the data from both to Strava and compare.

Having said all that, the latest update to MMR can create problems. If you pause MMR and move location before restarting it will add the distance between without adding any time. Found that it was necessary to wait until I was ready to start before opening MMR to avoid this happening.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47