Beginners and Beyond

Discovery Monday Penguins (Read 23 times)

on my way to badass

Re: 9.3 distance- Training partner lives on a country road. Her block has almost no traffic. 1 loop is 4.65. Today we did 2 loops.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

GinnyinPA

Stonefence - good job on the early 9.  Nice to find places with no traffic.  I'm still working on that.

PAD - which plan are you following?  I've seen plans that go from 24 weeks (about two months are building base) to 12 weeks (for people who are already in good shape.)

Jerry - I'm glad you enjoyed your volunteering.  Will that be you running next year? Hope you get a run in later.

Mitch - enjoy your rest day.  I'm glad the foot isn't still hurting.

Damaris - enjoy your pilates/yoga.  I'm glad you aren't too sore.

Z - have a good walk.  Two weeks is a long rest, but probably a good idea after a first and very difficult marathon.  The mental break is probably as helpful as the physical break.

sapf - enjoy your yoga.  I really need to do more of that.  I am so stiff, I'm sure it affects the running.

HopesMom - hope you get a walk later.

AFM:  today is supposed to be long run day, but given the uncertain weather, I'm not sure that will happen.  I could do it on the TM, but I'd rather be outdoors.

PADRunner

PAD- That quote was my marathon approach, haha!  Always nice when training plans start off with RD! What plan are you using?

Nothing special, kind of a hybrid finish before the sun goes down and don't die Higdon plan. I've got a HM at 9 weeks  (12/14) I'm starting a little early. I might do another at 16 weeks. I started base building a couple of months ago and am comfortable @25-30 now.  A slow gradual increase and peak at 45.

I've been reading about splitting the long runs and I may do that later on for anything 14+. Maybe 60% morning 40% evening.

Robert31320

Team TJ

That sounds good.

It's okay. I did 5 miles in the same shoes yesterday, and natta!

Running for TJ because he can't.

obiebyke

Hi y'all. W5D1 is the plan for after work. My lower back and right hammie are super tight from gardening this weekend, so hopefully that'll loosen me up. Almost to continuous running with no walking intervals!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins! Although I think for most it isn't morning anymore.

I have an Insanity and a 2 mile run planned for today. It looks like I will be doing a lot of treadmill miles because we already have snow and ice all over the road. Pretty soon we will be in the negatives and I am not too keen on that idea either. No matter what though, I plan on getting in my miles where I can.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! My race went spectacularly well. The weather was perfect and I don't think I could possibly have paced it any better! Very happy camper, I can go peacefully into surgery tomorrow morning knowing that I kicked running's ass this week, haha Smile

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

Rest day for me.  I'm not too sore but am taking it easy.

Damaris, I'm glad you're not too sore either!

Zel, enjoy week 2 of your rest!

Obie, have a good run today!

Rach, snow and ice already?  Where are you?

Ginny, I hope your weather improved enough to get outside.

PAD, hope your gym classes went well.

StoneFence - nice 9.3!  I Iove "no traffic" routes.

Lauren, congrats on the race!

on my way to badass

CONGRATS Lauren! You kicked running's ass into the next continent.Well done.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Brilliant -- I live in the interior of Alaska right now. It's noon now and it's only 28° outside. This is very close to our high for the day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

After 2 RD's, it started pouring about 30 seconds into our run.  Very fast pace for us.  Maybe I should have skipped the gym.

Good luck tomorrow, Lauren.  Hope you can kick butt soon.

GinnyinPA

When I got into the car, it started to rain and continued for the 15 minutes or so to where I intended to start my LR.  Accuweather said it wasn't supposed to last though, so I waited a few minutes, then set off just as it stopped.  It was very damp, and the street was a bit slick, but otherwise it was a good run.  I did a modified version of the local HM course, so I ran 12 instead of 13 miles.  I've run it before and it felt harder than my previous runs, but then, I haven't been running hills lately as much as I usually do.  It also ended up being faster overall than most of my long runs, probably in part because I didn't end up walking any of it except when I drank water.  Partly it was that I needed a bathroom badly and unless I ducked into the corn fields, I wasn't going to find one until I got back to where I'd parked the car.  It's pretty good motivation to keep moving;-)