Beginners and Beyond

So I Ran with Dean Karnazes Last Night (Read 114 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Agreed

Bart lives by my house, he's an awesome dude. I've (tried) run with him a few times. Dean was at the RW Half last year but I didn't get to talk to him. IIRC he ran the races barefoot. I'd rather have him run with his shirt off.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

#artbydmcbride

I am waiting for the opportunity to run with Pam Anderson as she gets ready for her marathon debut...hehe.

She is almost ready to start trainng!

http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/2013/09/24/pamela-anderson-yet-to-start-training-for-new-york-city-marathon/

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

She might be a good endorsement for  a sturdy sports bra company!  Big grin

Runners run

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

+1

She might be a good endorsement for  a sturdy sports bra company!  Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

She is almost ready to start trainng!

“I really haven’t attacked the running thing. I’ve never been a runner. I’ve never even run across the street hardly before.”

We are about five weeks out from NYC, if the above statement is true and she has not done any running yet, it may not be pretty.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Would love to meet him someday.  So far my only brush with running fame is running with Benson Cheriyout

Goorun

Thanks for sharing. I think Dean has gotten a lot of crap over the years from possibly over-hyping how awesome he is, but he really runs it like a business. I think it's allowed him to do it more full-time than other people of his caliber. I'm glad he's seems like a genuine nice guy.

Yes it is a business and he is an awesome promoter. Very, very good at what he does. From what I heard he is a nice guy too, but he is not an elite runner by any stretch of imagination. He does a lot of publicity stunts and motivate a lot of people to start running (good). He is/was a decent ultra runner who won some races where he had not much competition. He is at best an average marathon and shorter distances runner.

I'm not putting him down. I just get annoyed when people call him elite runner. (Not that you did).

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

“I really haven’t attacked the running thing. I’ve never been a runner. I’ve never even run across the street hardly before.”

We are about five weeks out from NYC, if the above statement is true and she has not done any running yet, it may not be pretty.

Big grin

this won't end well

RSX

Yes it is a business and he is an awesome promoter. Very, very good at what he does. From what I heard he is a nice guy too, but he is not an elite runner by any stretch of imagination. He does a lot of publicity stunts and motivate a lot of people to start running (good). He is/was a decent ultra runner who won some races where he had not much competition. He is at best an average marathon and shorter distances runner.

I'm not putting him down. I just get annoyed when people call him elite runner. (Not that you did).

Would you call him an elite ultra runner? Dick Beardsley may be the best speaker on running that I have seen in Boston, but I thought Karnazes was just below him in terms of promoting the sport.

Goorun

Would you call him an elite ultra runner? Dick Beardsley may be the best speaker on running that I have seen in Boston, but I thought Karnazes was just below him in terms of promoting the sport.

I wouldn't, but if others think that he belongs to the ultra running elite I would not spend time to arguing with them. There might be as many points for it as against it.

There is no doubt, that he is the reason why many left the couch and are runners now.

Birdwell

Not anymore at least, but he did win a few little races back in his prime. Badwater, Vermont 100, as well as top ten finishes in a few places too.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on the guy.

Goorun

Not anymore at least, but he did win a few little races back in his prime. Badwater, Vermont 100, as well as top ten finishes in a few places too.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on the guy.

see my note about lack of competition.

I personally know/ran with guys who would beat Dean in his prime on any given day at a competition/distance of his choice. If I drop names, people would have no idea who these guys are. He is unbelievably good at what he does and yes, he is also a decent runner.

Birdwell

see my note about lack of competition.

I personally know/ran with guys who would beat Dean in his prime on any given day at a competition/distance of his choice. If I drop names, people would have no idea who these guys are. He is unbelievably good at what he does and yes, he is also a decent runner.

I agree about the competition thing. I discount one of his wins at badwater, because he came in second overall.

the ultralist has had many (way to many, IMO) discussions about dean and his skills (Or lack thereof).

There are people here on RA who would kick the trash out of him.

Goorun

I agree about the competition thing. I discount one of his wins at badwater, because he came in second overall.

the ultralist has had many (way to many, IMO) discussions about dean and his skills (Or lack thereof).

There are people here on RA who would kick the trash out of him.

on any running forum.

I see no reason for hate. Sure, he is Richard Simmons of running, but he gets a lot of people of the couch and makes good living of something he loves. I respect that.

Before I got into running 3.5 years ago I windsurfed for 25 years and the name Dean Karnazes sounded familiar. Sure enough he was the same guy who was often in the windsurfing magazines back in the 80s and early 90s. He was a pretty good windsurfer, maybe better than he is a runner !

Sounds like he still windsurfs some which would be great for his core and upper body.

Im also confused in the photo on page 1 who is Bozydeco and who is Dean ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "