Beginners and Beyond

What, no Thursdailies yet? (Read 31 times)

RunningOnSand

I'm also highly motivated by food. I love food.

Re: short/long races, I coached for a local Girls on the Run chapter, and at the end of the 10 week lesson all the girls (grades 3-5) run a 5k with their "run buddy". Running a 5k for most of these girls is super challenging, as it's really more of a life coaching program than a run program. Anyway, the last time I coached it their 5k ended up being 4.25miles!!!! Obviously most of the adults were NOT racing it, but for kids who are really struggling (and my girls were), at like 2.8 miles I was like, "c'mon girls! We are almost there! Run it in!"....and they all hated me b/c it was 1.5mi longer.  I guess the volunteers weren't properly guiding runners on where to turn.

I ran 6 today in the snow. It was glorious! I ran it with my dog, though, and I felt really bad b/c about 2.25 mi in (on an out & back route) she started limping and I had to get the snow out of her pads. So we turned around right away, I brought her back, and then continued on my run. Next time I'll have her wear her boots. I was going to run in the Polartec tights but it would have been too warm for them (it was almost 30).

Q; Have any of you had tendinitis in your hamstring?

KCRuns

Q; Have any of you had tendinitis in your hamstring?

Are you having issues?

I have something in my hamstring, though I don't have any official diagnosis, I think it's tendinitis.  Mine responds well to rolling and aspercreme and I'm getting better about dynamic stretching before and good stretching after my runs which I think has helped.

RunningOnSand

Are you having issues?

I have something in my hamstring, though I don't have any official diagnosis, I think it's tendinitis.  Mine responds well to rolling and aspercreme and I'm getting better about dynamic stretching before and good stretching after my runs which I think has helped.

Yes. Although I also don't know what it is and also don't have any official diagnosis. It's pretty high up in my hamstring, almost to where it meets my glute. And it seems to be aggravated when I sit for long periods of time, and I can feel it more when I'm trying to get off my shoe (by putting my heel down and flexing and trying to get my heel out first--w/o any help from my hands, if that makes sense). Or sometimes when I climb the stairs. Or sometimes when I run. But not sharp pain. What does yours feel like?

Do you roll your glute then? I can never seem to really get into my hamstrings with a foam roller. I'll look up the aspercreme. And I really need to up my game of stretching.

LRB

It's pretty high up in my hamstring, almost to where it meets my glute. And it seems to be aggravated when I sit for long periods of time

I've been dealing with the same thing since my half in September. I feel it the worst when I lift my thigh parallel to the floor, then extend my foot. It alternates from glute pain to hamstring pain and is exacerbated by speed. I'm almost 100% sure it's the car I drive at work that won't allow it to heal, so I'm looking forward to being off for nearly two weeks next month.

LRB

Do you roll your glute then? I can never seem to really get into my hamstrings with a foam roller. I'll look up the aspercreme. And I really need to up my game of stretching.

From what I am told, you are not supposed to roll directly over a sore spot. But the genius who said most likely never had to deal with sciatica pain.

Whilst sitting on your foam roller with both butts, try crossing one leg over the other, then leaning into the glute of the leg that is crossed, then rolling it. That gets directly into the piriformis, which sometimes is the culprit of the pain you're feeling in your thigh. Sometimes.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Bah, dentist appointment this morning threw off my schedule. At least I have clean happy teeth and good X-rays!

Ran an hour easy around 1:00. I was hungry by that point. You can tell where I decided what I was having for lunch by looking at where my HR picked up, lol. I am HIGHLY food motivated!

Hope it was something nice!

I ran this morning and I've been hungry ever since. 

Damaris

LRB

Anyway, my brain went from zero to one hundred just shortly after 2:00 am this morning and I was unable to get back to sleep until after 4:00. When my alarm went off at 5:20, I was like bitch please. I took my gear to work and ran after I got off instead. 6 miles at the park. It was darker than shit at the end. Like, outer space, black hole dark. #spooky

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes. Although I also don't know what it is and also don't have any official diagnosis. It's pretty high up in my hamstring, almost to where it meets my glute. And it seems to be aggravated when I sit for long periods of time, and I can feel it more when I'm trying to get off my shoe (by putting my heel down and flexing and trying to get my heel out first--w/o any help from my hands, if that makes sense). Or sometimes when I climb the stairs. Or sometimes when I run. But not sharp pain. What does yours feel like?

Get a massage. I've had issues in that area but I don't think you can get hamstring tendonitis?  Maybe it's just sore.

Mine was from firing up the muscles in the order they shouldn't.  For example, my hamstring was firing up more than the glute and the calf, so every time I ran, the hamstring was getting sore because it was doing all the work while the others were lazy.  A massage and some exercises made the hamstring relax and let the others carry part of the load.

Damaris

LRB

Get a massage. I've had issues in that area but I don't think you can get hamstring tendonitis?  Maybe it's just sore.

Mine was from firing up the muscles in the order they shouldn't.  For example, my hamstring was firing up more than the glute and the calf, so every time I ran, the hamstring was getting sore because it was doing all the work while the others were lazy.  A massage and some exercises made the hamstring relax and let the others carry part of the load.

Yeah massage works great. My one MT puts her middle knuckle into my ass cheek, then pushes deep while flexing my leg until I let out a silent scream that could break glass! Damn it hurts, but the next day, I'm good as new...until I run, sit at my desk or drive again.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah massage works great. My one MT puts her middle knuckle into my ass cheek, then pushes deep while flexing my leg until I let out a silent scream that could break glass! Damn it hurts, but the next day, I'm good as new...until I run, sit at my desk or drive again.

Movement is life for those muscles, ugh.

Damaris

KCRuns

Same.  I have a knobby wooden roller stick that does a good job.  My foam roller helps, but the knobby roller or a tennis ball get the exact spot better for me.  I find sitting and driving are more aggravating than running.  It rarely bothers me while I'm running (unless I stop and then start again), but does get stiff afterwards if I don't stretch.  It's worse if I run and then go sit at my desk for a while.  If I have time to walk around for a little while first, then it doesn't seem so bad.  Strangely enough, it feels better when I also pay attention to my calves, so I don't know what that's about, but it's all connected somehow.

Half Crazy K 2.0

No motivation to run, plus kind of wiped out from last week. Probably not the smartest idea to do 52 miles, especially since I haven't been over 40 this year. Did a strength training workout.

I have the ass pain, it seems to vary where. I have gotten no relief from the foam roller or tennis balls, if anything, it seems to irritate something more. I find pigeon pose and figure 4 stretch help, as well as other stretching. I can also tell that I have been totally slacking in core work, because that tend to bring it on. And until this week, I have really slacked on the core work. Driving can also be torture.

workinprogress11

Last year I had a 2.9 mile 5k, a 3.26 mile 5k, and a 12.5 mile HM. That last one was certified but had a misplaced turnaround cone. It was actually some kind of northwest regional USATF championship race, so there were a lot of fast people who were very, very unhappy. Me, I was having a shitty day so I was glad to end it early.

All of my PRs were longer on my Garmin. My marathon PR was exactly 27 miles. It was the Chicago marathon so I have to believe it was measured correctly and I just ran some really crappy tangents.

LRB

All of my PRs were longer on my Garmin. My marathon PR was exactly 27 miles. It was the Chicago marathon so I have to believe it was measured correctly and I just ran some really crappy tangents.

Holy shit. I think I would jump off a bridge if I saw that after a marathon. lol

DavePNW

Plus the signal bounces off all the buildings and whatnot. IDK if that makes it longer or shorter. There are enough people here who have run Chicago to get a good statistical sampling. Including Damaris who has run it a billion times; of course she makes it longer by running back & forth looking for alcohol stations and photo ops.

Dave