Beginners and Beyond

Friday: Let The Weekend Begin (Read 35 times)

RunningOnSand

I personally think vitamins and random stuff sold on Amazon are not efficacious. BUT even placebo effect can be powerful. Glad you are feeling better

I'm curious--do you think vitamins and supplements are effective at all? (Not a snarky question--just genuinely curious, from the perspective of our resident scientist Smile ).

sdWhiskers

RD today. I've run 10 days in a row which is enough TYVM.

The radio on my drive to work reminded me that this is Easter weekend.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sheesh, I blink and y'all do two more pages?

I'm now involved in an emergency issue in 9 cases that the bitch at work has.  Emergencies she knew at 11am yesterday but still waited until 5pm to send an email to the boss and still took today off.  So, bossman asked me to work on them, no biggie.  But, ever since my emails started flowing (lots of people are out today), bitch started calling me every 5 minutes.  Sorry, you were out today you don't get to talk to me while I solve this.  Either you're in or you're out, IMO.  I can work the magic alone without constant interruption. Wish I had taken today off, lol.

And that's my work whine for the day.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

I'm curious--do you think vitamins and supplements are effective at all? (Not a snarky question--just genuinely curious, from the perspective of our resident scientist Smile ).

Published research for the most part does not support it. Vitamins taken in from food, yes. But not through supplements. Same with things like fish oil and probiotics.

A second issue is that in many cases, you have no idea what you are really taking. Or how much, because regulations are much more lax than pharmaceuticals. "Dose makes the poison". Do you really need to take 5,000 % of Vitamin xyz?

I only take iron.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I was seriously lacking in my Iron and Magnesium, like for the past 6 months or so I wasn't even really eating things like red meat or fish and only sometimes chicken.

I do believe in the vitamins for helping when you're not a good eater and you aren't eating what you should be. And as for joint supplements, I read a lot of articles and reviews from people I follow, crazy people who train and run ultras and they swear by them. I'll trust the people who actually use the stuff over the "research". 

As for the thing on amazon, I was originally searching for B2 or B3 vitamin, I think it was B3 and no pharmacies had it. So I went on amazon and found this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017TTZVB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked at the ingredients and read the reviews, and decided to try it.

It was about 5 or 6 days after starting on these when I noticed the pain, stiffness and even the tingling in my feet began to disappear.

Say what you want, that's your opinion but I'm a believer. 

I actually feel hopeful that things are looking up, and I'm looking forward to when my marathon training actually begins in May... rather than just hoping and praying I can finish the race.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Published research for the most part does not support it. Vitamins taken in from food, yes. But not through supplements. Same with things like fish oil and probiotics.

A second issue is that in many cases, you have no idea what you are really taking. Or how much, because regulations are much more lax than pharmaceuticals. "Dose makes the poison". Do you really need to take 5,000 % of Vitamin xyz?

I only take iron.

I agree.  Unless you are deficient in iron, Vitamin D, or something like that, where the pills work in getting you to the level you need, the other stuff is basically BS, per the doctors I know.

Damaris

LRB

Sometimes I take vitamins and other supplements and sometimes I don't. YMMV

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Eh, I'll continue taking these.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Baboon

delicate flower

HR lady just walked into the room that I am working in wearing a horizontally striped black and white shirt.  I told her she was dressed like the Mueller Report.

<3

Cyberic

When I was weight lifting, in my early 20s, for a while I took all kinds of supplements (vitamins and minerals, amino acids) and my pee would glow in the dark. Not sure if that shit was legit or not, lol. I never took steroids, but I probably would have, eventually, if I had kept lifting.

Since that time, I don't think I ever took supplements again. Don't feel like I need them. I eat potato chips instead!

LRB

I ran 8.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

HR lady just walked into the room that I am working in wearing a horizontally striped black and white shirt.  I told her she was dressed like the Mueller Report.

LOL

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Got off work way early because someone told the furniture installers no one would be in today and they could start working in our area. Pretty easy to convince the higher ups we should go home. Got in 8 miles before the steady rain started, now waiting for the storms to start.

onemile

I ran 7 with RRP. He was scheduled to do 4 but said he would go for 5-6 if I wanted. I said 4 was just fine. 

DavePNW

Hello and Friday ROFFLES!  Today is the first day my legs don't ache while just walking around.  I've still got a fair bit of chaffage that needs to heal, but at least my muscles no longer hurt.

You are ahead of me. Still sore walking around, and bending down. Mainly quads and left hamstring.

Dave