Beginners and Beyond

RR - Mississippi Blues Marathon (Read 90 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Badass Jay!

('cause one time was not enough)

tracilynn

~~~~~~~

Traci

Brilliant

Badass Jay!

('cause one time was not enough)

Nope, not enough...

This RR is so inspirational; I feel like I know someone famous. Big grin

Mmmmm...beer

I'm really glad you guys bumped this, I was out on the boat when Jay posted this and I never saw it.

HOLY SHIT!!!  That was amazing Jay!  Incredible training and race effort, and a totally kickass report to boot!

I will definitely use that bit about 1/3 of your mileage at or above MP for my next marathon cycle.

Congrats!!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

WOW, Jay....just WOW!   Congratulations on your marathon win!   Great report, very entertaining reading!

Hope you are recovering well!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

I'm really glad you guys bumped this, I was out on the boat when Jay posted this and I never saw it.

HOLY SHIT!!!  That was amazing Jay!  Incredible training and race effort, and a totally kickass report to boot!

I will definitely use that bit about 1/3 of your mileage at or above MP for my next marathon cycle.

Congrats!!!

LRB

Aw shit, the light just came on!

LRB

Mmmmm...beer

Aw shit, the light just came on!

Now the question is, can I do high mileage like last cycle, AND 1/3 at or above MP?  That would be an insane cycle, but would probably yield some insane results too, if it didn't break me. lol

I wanna be like Jay one day.

-Dave

My running blog

Cyberic

I asked a local fast guy (marathon PR 2:26) what his percentage of volume at Marathon pace or faster was, and he told me it was between 25-30%.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

That is actually about the % my coach is pushing for me this next marathon (Boston 2016) cycle.  As I am a middle distance guy, the long long mile runs are not as beneficial as other (speed) type of training is.

LRB

That is actually about the % my coach is pushing for me this next marathon (Boston 2016) cycle.  As I am a middle distance guy, the long long mile runs are not as beneficial as other (speed) type of training is.

You're running Boston next year? It's on G!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I asked a local fast guy (marathon PR 2:26) what his percentage of volume at Marathon pace or faster was, and he told me it was between 25-30%.

That's around what's recommended.  Although Matt Fitzgerald puts the perfect balance at 80/20 (20% above threshold, 80% easy).

Damaris

Haha, thanks guys.

D^2 - You could do it even with higher mileage, I'm sure.  The trick seems to be spreading out that fast stuff over the week, neither doing some herculean LR nor many days that are *totally* GMP or faster.  (But, do a few, even if they're races.)

For example, a standard easy day might be 7 as easy as you need to go, and then 3 at MP.   Then maybe the next day is 8 recovery, but with the next being 12 where you're doing 3 miles worth of 5K pace intervals interspersed with recovery jogs and then capping the workout with the final 3 at MP again.

Extended blocks of easy pace are monotonous anyway, so it's fun to avoid them when possible.

Mmmmm...beer

Haha, thanks guys.

D^2 - You could do it even with higher mileage, I'm sure.  The trick seems to be spreading out that fast stuff over the week, neither doing some herculean LR nor many days that are *totally* GMP or faster.  (But, do a few, even if they're races.)

For example, a standard easy day might be 7 as easy as you need to go, and then 3 at MP.   Then maybe the next day is 8 recovery, but with the next being 12 where you're doing 3 miles worth of 5K pace intervals interspersed with recovery jogs and then capping the workout with the final 3 at MP again.

Extended blocks of easy pace are monotonous anyway, so it's fun to avoid them when possible.

I noticed that in your other post, about adding some MP miles at the end of easy runs, I like it, seems like a good way to add MP mileage without breaking yourself.  Thanks!

-Dave

My running blog