Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 31 times)

onemile

(1) Nice workout planned. A little like the one I did today, only yours is tougher (I have to fit mine in 35 minutes).

(2) I don't care much anymore about the exactitude of a workout. If the plan says 1 mile repeats, but for some reason running by time is more appropriate on a given day, I will estimate how long a mile should take me, round that to a nice number, and do repeats of, say, 6:30 or 6:45 instead of 1 mile. The benefit to my health is exactly the same even if the repeats are a little longer or a little short of the prescribed mile.

My alternative plan was to just run the tempo segments by effort and kind of use my footpod pace as a gauge. I know it shows that I am running approximately 15-20 sec per mile faster than I actually am, so I could aim for 15-20 sec below my goal pace.  But then I probably care about the exactitude too much when it's the effort/time that matters

onemile

3 x (1 mile T w/1 min jog) + 3 x (193m R w/193m jog)

where T is ~6:35 and R ~3:38

3:38??

Cyberic

3:38??

Shoot, more like 5:38

MTA: Fixed the original. Thanks.

onemile

Shoot, more like 5:38

MTA: Fixed the original. Thanks.

I wasn't sure if that was a typo or some weird KM speak 

Cyberic

My alternative plan was to just run the tempo segments by effort and kind of use my footpod pace as a gauge. I know it shows that I am running approximately 15-20 sec per mile faster than I actually am, so I could aim for 15-20 sec below my goal pace.  But then I probably care about the exactitude too much when it's the effort/time that matters

Why don't you calibrate it? I can't stand it when my footpod is off.

During warmup, run one lap and check the distance the pod gives you. If it's long, go in the settings and lower the calibration factor, and it it is short, do the opposite. After a few laps, you should find the correct value. On the 620, for the calibration correction to take effect, I have to stop the workout (and save it), play with the calibration, and start a new workout. I tried playing with the calibration during a workout (while paused) and it lets me change it, but ignores the change.

Or you could just wear it outside and let the Garmin magic do the work.

Cyberic

I wasn't sure if that was a typo or some weird KM speak 

The pace was 3:30/km, which converted to 5:38 /mile, but I mixed the two it seems. So it's more a mental screwup than a typo.

onemile

Why don't you calibrate it? I can't stand it when my footpod is off.

During warmup, run one lap and check the distance the pod gives you. If it's long, go in the settings and lower the calibration factor, and it it is short, do the opposite. After a few laps, you should find the correct value. On the 620, for the calibration correction to take effect, I have to stop the workout (and save it), play with the calibration, and start a new workout. I tried playing with the calibration during a workout (while paused) and it lets me change it, but ignores the change.

Or you could just wear it outside and let the Garmin magic do the work.

I wear it outside but no magic has happened..

For some reason I thought you couldn't set the calibration factor on the 620/630..

My pod always gives me .29 when it should be .28 for one lap

and 1.06 when it should be 1 for a mile

So what should my calibration factor be?

But also I switch it between different shoes

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Are you a swimmer?

Sigh, not a good translation.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I got to drive today.  Funny, I have a new car and no chance to even get in it until today.

Damaris

From the Internet.

I am sick. Fever for the second day in a row so I can't imagine it would be smart to run at all today. Blargh. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll get out for a few easy miles to clear out the snot and see where I'm at.

I had a down week built into the plan next week, so I guess I'm just taking that a week early. Bonus, the way my marathon build was structured, this will actually make it easier to get in a mini-taper and mini-recovery for the New Bedford half in March. I think putting in an honest hard effort for that race will make it easier to dial in on the marathon goal - my current PR is still sitting at 1:48:09, and I ran 1:44:44 on a long run a few weeks ago, so I'm due for a huge PR even if I don't race it all-out.

Back to sleep!

No more marathons

OMG HI!  I am skiing Breckenridge today.  HOORAY!  I passed on an opportunity to swim this morning.  I just didn't feel like it.

So jealous.  Breckenridge is such a great ski vacation spot.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Today's schedule was 12 X minute with a minute "hard" followed by a minute "moderate".

So a total 24 minute workout with warm-up and cool down to bring it to 6 miles.

I had paces in the back of my mind of 10K ish for the "hard" (so around 7:20 to 7:20) and about 8:30 for the moderate which is on the faster side of a good average slog jog for me.

Ended up averaging about 7:20 for the hard (with the last six being faster than the first six) and the moderate averaging about 8:20.

Feel really good about this workout.  Essentially ran a 5K in 24 minutes - which isn't too bad for an OldPhart.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

It's going to be something like 18, feels like 5 when I run tonight (15 mph wind) and tomorrow is supposed to be the same.  My run for tomorrow is a tempo run of 2x15 min going from HMP down to a little faster down to 10k pace (progressing the pace each 5 minutes).  and then 4x200m.

So I was trying to figure out how to do this at the indoor track and I figure the 15 minutes will end up being approximately 2.25 miles.  8 laps at the track is 2.24 from the middle lane and that way I can check my lap pace to make sure I am on track and get a true measure of my pace

Gotta admit - these Hudson Elite coaches come up with some really inventive workouts.

MTA:  I sent them a note about the referral.

He's a leaker!

GinnyinPA

17 mph winds made it a colder run than usual, especially since a cold front dropped the temperature as the day progressed.  I ran an easy 5.2, not looking at my watch, and ended up a bit faster than usual, probably because I was trying to outrun the wind.

LRB

17 mph winds made it a colder run than usual, especially since a cold front dropped the temperature as the day progressed.  I ran an easy 5.2, not looking at my watch, and ended up a bit faster than usual, probably because I was trying to outrun the wind.

If the weather we're having is any indication, there'll be more of that to come!