Beginners and Beyond

TUESDAILIES Are Up Way Too Early Today (Read 49 times)

LRB

What do you like about it?

Well for starters it's accurate at the track (or is close enough that I haven't started a thread bitching about it!), which was huge for me as I spend a shit load of time there. The 220 was having problems with that for whatever reason.

It's super fucking quick with the satellite (like in the count of three sometimes) which I didn't really realize was a big deal until I started doing side by side comparisons with it the 220 and the 410.

In that pic I posted from the half marathon last week, I am wearing both watches. That was essentially a 14 mile litmus test and quite frankly, the 620 outperformed the 410 like a mother fucker. It wasn't even close.

That led me to try it during my race Saturday, where it didn't give me all these off the wall readings like the 220 seemed to do when I ran fast.

The multiple uploading options are fucking awesome. My runs are uploaded to my RA log through my cell the moment I get into my car (and you foo's know I'm all about that shit yo, for reals), all I have to do is enter the ancillary stuff (shoes, weather, route etc.).

Basically it is becoming an afterthought, like your watch should be. Not something you are constantly pissing and moaning about.

The direct connection to my computer is not as fast, but I have come to accept that and usually just go shower instead of standing there and waiting, which can make it seem like it's taking too long.

All of this and I don't even have the HRM for it, which unlocks an entire world of metrics and run data that is sure to please me even more should I pull the trigger on it.

DavePNW

MTA: also on an unrelated note, my computer is not recognizing my Garmin.  

Nevermind, it's fine now. 

Dave

onemile

All of this and I don't even have the HRM for it, which unlocks an entire world of metrics and run data that is sure to please me even more should I pull the trigger on it.

Oh that HRM prediction stuff is awesome.  It told me I could run a 3:09 marathon.   :swoon:

(...except I hate wearing a HRM so I haven't for like a year)

LRB

This is how I upload every time. With my 210, the computer hardly ever recognized it at first, I always had to disconnect/reconnect a few times, and it was the bane of my existence. Haven't really had this problem so much with the 220 (yet), and the connection mechanism seems a bit more sturdy. I think it able to connect wirelessly; I have never tried it but I think I would need Garmin Connect, which I don't have.

Garmin connect is simply a website where you create an account, register the device and you're done. If you upload it through wireless, It goes directly to your RA log as well as your GC account. You don't necessary have to go to Garmin connect anymore once it's setup.

LRB

Oh that HRM prediction stuff is awesome.  It told me I could run a 3:09 marathon.   :swoon:

(...except I hate wearing a HRM so I haven't for like a year)

I know right?? I'm like WTF would I spend $100 on the stupid thing when I'm not going to wear enough to ever get that value out of it FFS.

DavePNW

Garmin connect is simply a website where you create an account, register the device and you're done. If you upload it through wireless, It goes directly to your RA log as well as your GC account. You don't necessary have to go to Garmin connect anymore once it's setup.

I keep thinking about doing that. Always seemed like a lot of people complained about using GC, then there were all the problems with RA, which I guess have now been fixed. Do I need to download GC software on my computer? Or just bluetooth via phone?

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

That is my only complaint about the 620.  The upload via wi-fi works great. But when I have to transfer a workout to it (via the USB cable), sometimes it is a real PITA.  Doesn't want to recognize that it's plugged in half the time.

Why do you transfer workouts via USB cable?

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I keep thinking about doing that. Always seemed like a lot of people complained about using GC, then there were all the problems with RA, which I guess have now been fixed. Do I need to download GC software on my computer? Or just bluetooth via phone?

If you are unloading through USB you already have Garmin Express, so there is nothing else to download.

To use the Bluetooth on your phone, you would need to install the Garmin connect app, which takes less than a minute to download on a 'droid. Not sure about an iPhone.

onemile

Why do you transfer workouts via USB cable?

Is there another way to do it? When I tell GC to send the workout to my device it tells me I have to launch Garmin Express and plug in my watch...

bluerun

Super B****

Is there another way to do it? When I tell GC to send the workout to my device it tells me I have to launch Garmin Express and plug in my watch...

I do it from my phone, but I guess that wouldn't be an option if you don't have the GC app.  Wifi?

chasing the impossible

onemile

I do it from my phone, but I guess that wouldn't be an option if you don't have the GC app.  Wifi?

I have the app. I didn't try it that way but I will. I don't know how you would do it via wi-fi?

LRB

I have found that basically no matter how you send a workout  to the watch (by computer or the GC app on the phone) it will eventually get there by one or the other the next time it syncs.

DavePNW

If you are unloading through USB you already have Garmin Express, so there is nothing else to download.

To use the Bluetooth on your phone, you would need to install the Garmin connect app, which takes less than a minute to download on a 'droid. Not sure about an iPhone.

I don't think that is the case. When I connect the Garmin via USB, it shows as an external device; I upload runs to RA via the file import option, just grabbing the .FIT file.

Anyway I may just give it a try.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

I have the app. I didn't try it that way but I will. I don't know how you would do it via wi-fi?

Neither do I

I used to use the USB cable, but it never failed to drive me insane; I haven't had any problems sending it from my phone.

chasing the impossible

onemile

I don't think that is the case. When I connect the Garmin via USB, it shows as an external device; I upload runs to RA via the file import option, just grabbing the .FIT file.

Anyway I may just give it a try.

When you have the 620, it doesn't save the FIT file to your computer. It uploads via wifi and it is not saved locally. So then if you want it, you have to go to GC and download the FIT file.