Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #201 (Read 23 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Cyberic,  is travel more regulated in Canada right now? I know they don't want Americans in, but can Canadians travel between provinces?

DavePNW

Dave would say 0-100.

Great point about the scrutiny. Even if it didn't get canceled the days leading up to the race would turn ugly and force its cancellation, which is exactly what happened to New York in 2012.

Exactly what I was thinking, but I’m getting sick of continuing to post that. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Dave

Cyberic

Cyberic,  is travel more regulated in Canada right now? I know they don't want Americans in, but can Canadians travel between provinces?

Not freely, no. Some provinces won't let people from other provinces enter. There are police blocks. Some provinces have a mutual agreement I think in the Maritimes, but I can't remember if they were talking about it, or if it's done.

Cyberic

Exactly what I was thinking, but I’m getting sick of continuing to post that. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Now I'm even more convinced (for some reason I had missed the posts about NYCM 2012 cancellation. Actually I always just skim over the marathon cancellation talk, as I would not run those American marathons anyway)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Not freely, no. Some provinces won't let people from other provinces enter. There are police blocks. Some provinces have a mutual agreement I think in the Maritimes, but I can't remember if they were talking about it, or if it's done.

In a strange way, I would think the travel restrictions could be helpful for your race. The race organizers could say it for those in Quebec only and it is enforceable. Here in the US, the travel restrictions are mostly voluntary and in many cases aren't taken seriously (aside from Hawaii).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

In a strange way, I would think the travel restrictions could be helpful for your race. The race organizers could say it for those in Quebec only and it is enforceable. Here in the US, the travel restrictions are mostly voluntary and in many cases aren't taken seriously (aside from Hawaii).

Yeap, especially if it's a small race, like the two that occured here this weekend.

Damaris

Cyberic

Your argument makes sense. Quebec is not one of the provinces enforcing the ban of people from other provinces. That would have to be done by the race itself.

I think that technically it could be done (holding a race) but I do not think it will happen, because people who criticize are not going to read all the details. Just looking at how "discussions" turn out in any Facebook post about covid measures, the mandatory mask in closed places for example, people's minds are made up about the whole covid thing, and discussions just get out of hand without anybody ever changing his/her mind

DavePNW

discussions just get out of hand without anybody ever changing his/her mind

That doesn't sound like Facebook to me! /s

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Your argument makes sense. Quebec is not one of the provinces enforcing the ban of people from other provinces. That would have to be done by the race itself.

I think that technically it could be done (holding a race) but I do not think it will happen, because people who criticize are not going to read all the details. Just looking at how "discussions" turn out in any Facebook post about covid measures, the mandatory mask in closed places for example, people's minds are made up about the whole covid thing, and discussions just get out of hand without anybody ever changing his/her mind

I was thinking if Quebec was banning people from other provinces, a race would have a better chance of happening. If the travel restrictions only happen on the back end, I can see people from outside trying to come in to run.

Basically my thoughts on races is small local ones probably are not an issue. I think enough can be done to minimize (not eliminate) risks. When you start getting people from out of town, maybe the race itself can have minimal risk, but now you have to think about hotels, restaurants, bars, planes, trains, etc. Wherever the out of towners visit.