Beginners and Beyond

2014: Good, bad or indifferent? (Read 66 times)

Little Blue

Running, it was my most consistent year ever.  PR'd in 5K and HM.  Met my 2014 in 2014 mileage goal yesterday.

Personally, I'm happy to see 2014 in the rear view mirror.  This year should be much better.  If it's not, I've done something wrong.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

The thought has crossed my mind more than once.

I have also thought about it, even if it is "just" a 50k. After my next marathon in May, we'll see. Some shorter races would be nice and I would like to PR in those distances, but... Decisions, decisions.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The thought has crossed my mind more than once.

I can recommend many in your area. 

I'm volunteering to be a sweeper at this one, for instance: http://www.frontrunnerusa.com/event/chippewa-50k-and-10k-trail-run

Running is dumb.

I can recommend many in your area. 

I'm volunteering to be a sweeper at this one, for instance: http://www.frontrunnerusa.com/event/chippewa-50k-and-10k-trail-run

You're trouble. Wink

I know a couple people who have done that one in your link. The one on the Superior trail in the fall is always near or on my birthday and one that I've considered.

Cyberic

The bad turned good: My fall half was the first time I failed to reach a running objective I set for myself. I learned that believing is not always enough. A few months later, I'm glad it happened to me, as It made me realize many things, most important is that to meet my own expectations I need to work harder than I was before.

Since my 2014 goal was not to suffer a run stopping injury, and that I'm running more than ever with just minor aches and pains, I say 2014 was a very good year for me running wise.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The one on the Superior trail in the fall is always near or on my birthday and one that I've considered.

That's probably my favorite race.  But you don't have the 50K option.  You're either running the marathon (which is sort of like an ultra in itself...it takes me longer than a "normal" 50K) or the 50 miler.  But hell, all in, right?  Go for the 50.

Running is dumb.

MI_Tim

A little of everything.

This year was great from a non-running standpoint and okay from a running standpoint. I finished my PhD and bought a house in March, got a job that I like in August, and got married in September. Running started out pretty well, but then my IT band started complaining at the end of March and I didn't really start running again until October. I was able to participate (read: hobble/walk) in the Beat the Blerch HM and visit Seattle at the end of September, though, which was awesome. Running is now going well enough, but I'm keeping an eye on my IT band. I joined a gym last week in the hopes that it will get me back into regular strength training/injury prevention. I'm feeling tentatively good about next year. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Running wise - very positive

Life wise - no so good - lots of loss this year

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Except, for 6 weeks on the DA, it was a great year runningwise.  Personally as well.

Hope to do a few more destination HM's in 2015.

Zelanie

The good:

• No injuries requiring time off
                        • Completed first marathon
                        • 5K PR (early and weak, though)

The bad:

• I think I got slower as the year went on

From the Internet.

Both, I think.

Financial rollercoaster - we started the year off thinking we were going to be broke forever, scraped together application fees and crossed our fingers that we'd get financial aid to send the kid to a good elementary school. Husband was encouraged to apply for and got a job that was a significant pay increase, we bought our first house, kid now goes to a public school in a top school district. Owning a house is expensive and we're still getting used to that.

Running-wise it was definitely a good year. PRs everywhere, my first double-digit runs, most miles ever in one year, lots of new running friends, etc.

Personally, since winter hit my mood, motivation, ability to do anything but run and sleep have taken a nosedive. I don't feel sad, just tired and indifferent.

Two acquaintances passed away this month, one succumbed to pneumonia at 29 and left behind a wife and 3 month old son, the other was 25 and was killed in a horrific car crash a few days ago. Didn't really help the whole mood thing, they were both super nice people taken way too young.

I'm looking forward to 2015, for sure.