Beginners and Beyond

Workout Wednesdailies (Read 21 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I was told by one dude that if I run more I could qualify for boston. I was training at 60-70mpw when he told me that. He forgot the most important part for Boston: genetics. And lungs.

Damaris

DavePNW

I was told by one dude that if I run more I could qualify for boston. I was training at 60-70mpw when he told me that. He forgot the most important part for Boston: genetics. And lungs.

Being old helps! 

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Being old helps! 

Not for those that have 70% of lungs with medication and no running genetics!

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Like when people say "run slower to get faster!". Lol no, if I run slower easier runs...I just get slower.

Yep, and often offered with no knowledge or concern about how slow they were already running or what other workouts they did.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sdWhiskers

Yeah that expression has a purpose...when people are starting out, run mostly easy so you can increase your mileage volume, and that gets you faster. But then to continue to get faster, of course you've got to do some workouts.

No, i actually sorta agree in the context you mention. I'm referencing all the runners and "coaches" on like Instagram who insist the only thing standing between everyone and a BQ is running slower for their easy runs.

sdWhiskers

Yes, exactly. And my lungs are good!

I think if i lost 20 lbs, upped my mileage significantly and got a good coach then maybe icould  get close to a BQ for someone 20 years older 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yes, exactly. And my lungs are good!

I think if i lost 20 lbs, upped my mileage significantly and got a good coach then maybe icould  get close to a BQ for someone 20 years older 

Bassically this. And the coach part is something I consider and then whenevevr I look up ones, I nope outta it real quick. There was one group that claimed to work mostly with women of, um say around my age. That part, good, I would need someone who understand a bit about the aging BS. But one of the first things was that they had some statement about needing to trust them and not to say how you've tried something before and it didn't work. Um no. I'm a grown adult paying for this service. I will tell you what time I have available, what I can reassonably do and you work around it, all while treating me a an adult and a partnter in this.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

They are working for you and should be able to tell you why they want you to try it again, at least.

I have a coach (a badass one after Karen, another badass one). She is older, has already gone through meno, and understands way more than I tell her - it's magic, ha). Been impressed since the last two races have been my best in a while even though slow. She is trying to help me out of the worst part of menopause for an athlete and to see if my VO2 Max goes up (some say it does after you go through this but it can take 4 fucking years). When you get to the M, please try not to get this part.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Docket,  I have to assume peri plays a role in everything,  possibly even as far back to 2016 when more running meant shorter cycles (24 vs 28 days), 2 weeks of pms, breakouts and other fun stuff.  It sort of eased when I reduced miles.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, and peri can also last 8 years. WTF. The M seems to last 50 years total!

Damaris

This is the way.

One of my favorite quotes: "Why should I practice running slow? I already know how to run slow. I want to learn how to run fast."

Emil Z.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yeah, and peri can also last 8 years. WTF. The M seems to last 50 years total!

Since my preferred female products are hard to find,  I'd be glad to be done.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Since my preferred female products are hard to find,  I'd be glad to be done.

I am glad I got a hysterectomy 9 years ago! Don't miss that shit.

Damaris