Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's ThursDAILY (Read 18 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning !!!

Seminar day for me, so I'll be lucky to get a short run in. (unless I bail out early)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have 10 with 6 at MP on the TM because we are still in the mid 90s with no end in sight.

Damaris

hog4life

I got 5 last night and looking for 8 or so this afternoon.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After some out-patient minor surgery on Tuesday for a cyst, I ran on Wednesday around 4 pm with Me, Myself, and I. I guess I was still having a bit of a reaction from the surgery and the meds cuz when I started the run, Me was a bit tired. Myself felt a little better after the first mile and actually had a pretty good run. Pushed a bit too hard the last mile though and post run I was a pooped old dog. 3.5 miles done. This morning at 6 a.m., Me, Myself, and I were back at it, in some slow drizzling rain. I guess the run yesterday did help - along with going to bed early last night and getting plenty of rest - because Me felt great this morning starting out. Myself pushed it a bit for the entire run, and after it was all over, I felt really good and back to my usual running self - 3.4 miles done. I did get a bit soaked and the temp was in the flippin' 60s already and the humidity was near 100%...felt like a dang sauna out there! But it's all good, I ran normal - normal for me, lol - and am a happy dog again.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Quartet rehearsal last night was good, bring on chorus rehearsal tonight!!  I'm looking forward to the weekend, though.  

Jerryb -- good luck with your short run!  I'm bailing on seminar today, as it's a topic I'm not very interested in.  So bail!

Docket -- good luck with your TM 10!!

hog -- enjoy your 8 or so!!

Scotty -- Sounds like a good run for You, Yourself, and You!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I seem to have gotten a bit of a cold. At least it came after the marathon? I think that I'll rundown to my haircut place and get a trim. I haven't had a haircut since May and I guess I should make my hair look reasonable for this gala tonight. My normal throw it back into a ponytail routine probably isn't acceptable. Being girly is hard. Sad

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

10x400/200 intervals, total 6 miles this morning on the TM.  It's hard to cheat on the intervals when they are programmed.

Good group runs Scotty, Hope there was not to much talking.

Philliefan33

sapf-- I bet you caught a cold because you were so run down from the marathon effort. Your poor little immune system couldn't draw on reserves--all reserves were gone!

i planned to run today, but I've been doing errands all day and now it looks like we might be packing up and heading to the mountains this evening. No worries, I just need to run two days between now and Saturday, so Friday/Saturday can replace Thursday/Saturday.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

PF - you are totally right about my immune system being taken for a ride re: marathon.  Luckily I'm not super sick, just a little cold.

I got my hair cut -- I told DH it was a pixie cut because the last time I got my hair cut he told me it was "too short".  It is maybe a bit past my chin now.. which is ideal because I can still pull it all back but I don't have to brush it when it is so short.  I am really lazy when it comes to that type of stuff.  Now I have to hunt for my makeup.  I think the last time I used it was July when I attended a friend's wedding.  This should be fun.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Glad you and yourself are recovered from surgery, Scotty.

Made home by 3, so DW was waiting to run, so 3.5 miles.  68*, windy and humid, but we beat the cold front and rain that are on the way.  

GinnyinPA

Jerry - I'm glad you and your wife managed to get a nice warm run before the front passed through.

Scott - I'm glad you've recovered from your surgery.  You should have let us know beforehand, so we could send prayers/good thoughts your way.  Nice runs.

D - I hope your MP run went well.

Mitch - I hope your 8 went well.

HM - I hope rehearsal went well.

Jill - get better soon.  A little extra sleep should help.  I hope the gala was fun.

PAD - nice intervals.  I do all my speedwork on the Tm, which is a problem because I don't know how to find those paces on my own.

Margo - enjoy your weekend in the mountains.

AFm:  I did 5 easy miles this afternoon, then unpacked books for a while before heading out to dinner with Jim.