Beginners and Beyond

Shoes, Drafting, Etc.... (Read 43 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I also think the shoes, the pacers, etc., are not determinative.  A huge part if the runner's ability and mental state.  He has shown that he has the qualities of someone capable of doing something like this.  But it's not the shoes or the pacers, etc.  It all helped but without him it wouldn't have been done this year, IMO.

Damaris

DavePNW

Kosgei's performance is the hard one to believe.  She broke a 16 year record by 1:21 which no one has come close to touching. She did this by running a first 5k that is on par with Hasay's 5k PR and the second place female was a good 7 minutes behind her.  And it was a four minute PR for her, which is huge

LOL

Dave

DavePNW

I also think the shoes, the pacers, etc., are not determinative.  A huge part if the runner's ability and mental state.  He has shown that he has the qualities of someone capable of doing something like this.  But it's not the shoes or the pacers, etc.  It all helped but without him it wouldn't have been done this year, IMO.

Well he’s certainly one of the few, but maybe not the only - the top elites all have the same kind of qualities. Bekele came within 2 sec of Kipchoge’s WR. Anyway, considering the shape Kipchoge’s clearly in and the conditions, I’m interested in what he would have done if he just ran Chicago instead.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am surprised they were able to run that fast on Sunday because the 30mph gusts and the headwind for most of the tough miles on the course was brutal.

Damaris

onemile

I am surprised they were able to run that fast on Sunday because the 30mph gusts and the headwind for most of the tough miles on the course was brutal.

Brigid had 2 pacers running in front of her for most of the way, prob shielded the wind

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Brigid had 2 pacers running in front of her for most of the way, prob shielded the wind

They certainly shielded her from the TV camera.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yeah, I still don't know what on earth he is talking about or what got his rambling going. I mean I haven't looked for discussions on this, but apparently he is saying that the shoes both wore during their record-breaking marathons aren't even out on shelves yet and were prototypes. Basically he and others would like to know how on Earth to top marathon athletes were able to shave 2 minutes of their times, I guess it is a lot harder for top athletes to improve more than they already are 

Maybe this will clarify it a little.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Maybe this will clarify it a little.

I just have a hard time believing that shoes/technology can do more work than the body can... like I seriously doubt the shoes either of them wore would help me in any major way   Trying to understand it, I might as well be teaching myself trigonometry or something lol

But then again, I don't really understand shoe technology, I just wear the shoes that the LRS tells me is best for my feet.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I just have a hard time believing that shoes/technology can do more work than the body can... like I seriously doubt the shoes either of them wore would help me in any major way 

But then again, I don't really understand shoe technology, I just wear the shoes that the LRS tells me is best for my feet.

Have you ever had one of those Nike's in your hand or on your feet? You can tell immediately that it's a very different shoe. There was significant engineering that went into those shoes. What struck me the most was that the carbon fiber makes it so you can barely torque it with your hands.  Even if they are under 1% more efficient than a regular shoe, the benefit would be over 30 seconds in a 2 hour marathon.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

onemile

I just have a hard time believing that shoes/technology can do more work than the body can... like I seriously doubt the shoes either of them wore would help me in any major way   Trying to understand it, I might as well be teaching myself trigonometry or something lol

https://www.outsideonline.com/2400514/nike-vaporfly-carbon-plate-presentation

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/18/upshot/nike-vaporfly-shoe-strava.html

https://www.wired.com/story/the-science-behind-nikes-new-vaporfly-next-marathon-shoe/

Cyberic

The guy (Magness) is saying that based on (bla bla bla ... everything he said), it is pretty clear the shoes are the reason why we see such jumps in WRs in the past 2 years, and that they should be banned.

I don't see the problem with his argument. Now do I agree with his conclusion? That's another story.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have never held a nike, I've pretty much just gone for the shoes I've been told to wear or purchase them online.... I never once thought there was a huge amount of difference other than that mine are more for support and stability and I'll never be able to wear a shoe made for fast racers.

I try to read those articles lol........ I think I'll just go out and get my other 3 miles in 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I have never held a nike, I've pretty much just gone for the shoes I've been told to wear or purchase them online.... I never once thought there was a huge amount of difference other than that mine are more for support and stability and I'll never be able to wear a shoe made for fast racers.

In my own experience simply shifting from racing in training shoes to racing in lightweight racing flats made a difference of at least several seconds per mile. These high tech shoes that Kipchoge wore would be even more effective and could easily explain the difference between his WR time and his Breaking2 and INEOS159 times.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

onemile

You thinking that there isn't a huge amount of difference in racing in the Ravenna vs the Next% doesn't mean there isn't a huge difference. There is a huge difference.

Runshortii

Any women on here run in the vaporfly? I thought about jumping on the bandwagon for a racing shoe, but it being technically all men’s sizing makes me nervous