Beginners and Beyond

Financial Friday Penguins (Read 17 times)

GinnyinPA

Scotty - massage may help.  Do you do any foam rolling now?  Are you doing any yoga?  There are some good yoga piriformis stretches.  One problem with hamstrings is if they are torn, you don't want to stretch them, because you can make it worse.  When I was really bothered by my hamstrings, I went to a PT who gave me some good exercises that helped when I was doing them regularly. (Not hamstring stretches, but hip stretches and quad stretches and myrtls with resistance band.)  I also did things like side steps and grapevine to loosen the hips.  I was lucky because as long as I ran slowly and avoided hills, I could continue to run without too much pain. Eventually it stopped hurting, though my hamstrings are still too tight.  I understand not being happy with no running. As long as I'm not in acute pain, I run, even though I know it's wrong.  I've been ignoring my current adductor problem because it didn't hurt while running, but then it began to hurt while running. :-(  Stairs may not be a good idea for you because they do put stress on the glutes.

Zelanie

Scotty, have you tried the myrtl exercises?  That's a big part of what they have never doing now, plus single leg squats and leg raises so that my hips and core do more of the work.