Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES: Two shifts to freedom (Read 37 times)

GinnyinPA

I've seen lots of bears, both black and griz, while hiking and backpacking, but never while running. Our nearby state forests are so heavily hunted I rarely even see deer. We did have a bear in the neighborhood a few years ago, probably investigating the orchards next door, but he was out earlier than we were walking. Most black bears will run off when they see you, unless they are in an area where they aren't hunted. PA does have bear hunts.

DavePNW

I've come to respect the coyotes. They help enforce people keeping their dogs on leashes and not leaving their dogs in the backyard barking all day. Based on what I've read on our local next door app, coyotes can basically scale any type of wall that you can build around your yard. No (smaller) dog is safe.

Now, more afraid. We have a wooden fence around our yard. Our dog does get barky in the backyard sometimes, usually at a dog the next yard over. But we certainly don't leave her out all day, and bring her back in pretty quickly if the barking doesn't stop. I hope her punishment is not to get eaten by a coyote.

Dave

From the Internet.

Shit's getting real! Last time I'll run more than 2 miles at MP until the big day. 2 easy then 4 MP; started off a little hot for the first mile, dialed back a little too much in miles 2-3, just right for number 4. 7:28 felt easy but not TOO easy. Then 4x1min on/min off to keep some pop in the ol' legs. Feeling good. HR was a little high, not sure if that's the cold I've been fighting off or the adrenaline thinking about race day or the headwind/slippery pavement, but effort wise it was great.

Unless taper magic REALLY gets a hold of me, I think my race day plan will be to stick with the 3:20 pace group for a mile or two, work my way down to 3:15ish pace, empty the tank after 20 if I still feel great. One more week of tapering to go + haven't broken out the cheater shoes for a workout yet, maybe that'll wind up being a conservative plan, but right now it feels appropriately equal parts safe (i.e. no blowup) and bold, lol.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've come to respect the coyotes. They help enforce people keeping their dogs on leashes and not leaving their dogs in the backyard barking all day. Based on what I've read on our local next door app, coyotes can basically scale any type of wall that you can build around your yard. No (smaller) dog is safe.

Not here they don't, and we do have coyotes, a lot. People still leave their dogs outside on chains or running loose. And there are a few dogs I wouldn't mind disappearing at the teeth of a coyote, sadly they're still out there....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

Not here they don't, and we do have coyotes, a lot. People still leave their dogs outside on chains or running loose. And there are a few dogs I wouldn't mind disappearing at the teeth of a coyote, sadly they're still out there....

there are a few ankle biting yappers I wouldn't mind seeing disappear in my neighborhood

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Incidentally for you MI people, Fred Meyer is also very much like Meijer. Which despite the name similarity is completely unrelated, but Meijer was in fact founded by a Fred Meijer.

I like Meijer and finally able to shop there.

Damaris

LRB

there are a few ankle biting yappers I wouldn't mind seeing disappear in my neighborhood

Is the one that bit you still around?

onemile

Is the one that bit you still around?

not sure. I have seen a different dog at that house off leash but if their garage door is open and I see any dog in the yard, I usually turn around and go the other way!

LRB

not sure. I have seen a different dog at that house off leash but if their garage door is open and I see any dog in the yard, I usually turn around and go the other way!

Yeah FTS!

DavePNW

I like Meijer and finally able to shop there.

Did not realize they had them down in Indy.

Dave

DavePNW

The other problem with getting up at 2AM is that many more hours needing to fill with food. Doesn't matter that I should have been sleeping - if I'm awake, I'm eating.

Also of note: my Boston jacket was outranked at the gym this morning by a Berlin shirt.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

We got one here in E'ville.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

All over.

Damaris

onemile

The other problem with getting up at 2AM is that many more hours needing to fill with food. Doesn't matter that I should have been sleeping - if I'm awake, I'm eating.

Also of note: my Boston jacket was outranked at the gym this morning by a Berlin shirt.

only if they were a berlin time qualifer 

RunningOnSand

So speaking of runs, last night's run was interesting.  About halfway in, a bear scared the hell out of me.  I was just running along on the bike path, kind of zoned out, and I ran right past it just a couple of feet away.  Like if I took one step to my left, I could have touched it.  I started him and he grunted at me, which startled me and I jumped.  

I think I would have freaked the f out.