Beginners and Beyond

Sundailies and the west coast people are complaining again (Read 21 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Dave, HCK - sorry for your losses.

My family doesn't do funerals.  The last time I can recall being at a burial was when visiting my grandmother in Germany and a friend of the family was being interred.  I think that was 50 years ago.  I've been to a few wakes since, but that's about it.

12 miles for me.  Felt quite tired afterwards.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Half Crazy K 2.0

I almost started typing out the religious disaster that was my dad's funeral last year, including the fuckhead pastor saying my bro and I are going to hell....but my HR and BP are rising so I won't. We almost walked out. Of my dad's funeral. Not at all what he would have wanted.

OMG, that is awful. That pastor sounds like a real ass. Not the time or place for that.

Half Crazy K 2.0

My family doesn't do funerals.  The last time I can recall being at a burial was when visiting my grandmother in Germany and a friend of the family was being interred.  I think that was 50 years ago.  I've been to a few wakes since, but that's about it.

The Catholic side of the family does the full mass/burial. I remember one of parents or maybe another family member commenting that the priest really went quick for the burial since it was so cold out that day. Usually Catholic priests aren't known for the speed at which they go through a service. Growing up, my parents often selected which mass to go to based on what music group was there. If it was full choir, skip that one since they had to do every verse of every hymn.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

The Catholic side of the family does the full mass/burial. I remember one of parents or maybe another family member commenting that the priest really went quick for the burial since it was so cold out that day. Usually Catholic priests aren't known for the speed at which they go through a service. Growing up, my parents often selected which mass to go to based on what music group was there. If it was full choir, skip that one since they had to do every verse of every hymn.

I recall attending a wedding with a full mass.  Everything was so slow and deliberate that it near drove me crazy.  I had no idea just how long it could take a person to wipe out/dry a goblet.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I recall attending a wedding with a full mass.  Everything was so slow and deliberate that it near drove me crazy.  I had no idea just how long it could take a person to wipe out/dry a goblet.

A friend of mine described Catholic mass as sit-stand-kneel-repeat.

delicate flower

I almost feel bad for the 49ers and their QB situation.  Almost, but not really.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

I almost feel bad for the 49ers and their QB situation.  Almost, but not really.

I want to see Philly win, so don;t really feel bad. At this srate, they are going to be asking anyone dressed to volunteer, althoughh it looked like Purdy might try to come in.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Then there is my dad who like me was an atheist and his GF took his ashes and had a full blown mass. 🤷‍♀️

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Back when I followed football, in the 80s and 90s, I was a Giants fan, so I don't want to see either Philly or SF win.  In the other game, Bengals/Chiefs, I just don't care enough about either team to pick one.

As to funerals, I figure they're for the survivors, so whatever my kin want to do upon my death is fine with me.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Dave - sorry about your BIL. He sounded like a good guy.

Easy ride on the bike this morning for me and some upper body and rehab type stuff after. No work so glad about that! No real rooting interest in either game but did live in KC for a year so I'll go with the Chiefs!

I almost started typing out the religious disaster that was my dad's funeral last year, including the fuckhead pastor saying my bro and I are going to hell....but my HR and BP are rising so I won't. We almost walked out. Of my dad's funeral. Not at all what he would have wanted.

Ugh, double yikes. 

Reminds me of a story that is only similar in that it involves a person with no clue how to behave themselves at an important occasion. My friend’s parents were divorced when he was very young; he was raised by his mom & step-dad, and his bio-dad had only sporadic involvement in his life. Bio-dad did come to his wedding, and was apparently unhappy with the seating arrangements for his side of the family. He got into it with the bride, in her face screaming at her—literally minutes before she was to walk down the aisle. He ended up storming off in a huff and I believe missed the whole thing.

Dave

Quickadder

Usually Catholic priests aren't known for the speed at which they go through a service. 

Catholic priest in Baton Rouge holds a mass for runners before the Louisiana Marathon and then runs in the race. His target time for the mass was 26.2 minutes. Featured in Runners World a few years ago.

Running Priest to Offer Special Mass Before Louisiana Marathon | Runner's World (runnersworld.com)

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

The late game was a good one. What a stupid fucking penalty to give it away.

Dave