Beginners and Beyond

Week 29 Penguins need smoochies!! (07/05-07/11) (Read 8 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's International Kissing Day today, so pucker up!!  I'm looking at another crazy day to start another crazy week, so I could use the stress relief.  I'm behind in converting my class to online, mostly because I still don't know what I'm doing as a teacher in the first place.  So I really need to put some extra time in on that.  I've got some stubborn samples that I'm working on, some samples lined up behind them, and likely another big set coming in.  My day off was nice (I made some killer bread), but mostly the weekend wasn't as productive as I would've liked.  I think I didn't get more things done than I did get done, which always leaves me frustrated with myself.  Oh well, it's Monday again!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I have 11 miles. Took Thursday off, Friday was the holiday and on Friday, I thought it was already Sunday but still Sunday came in too quickly.

HopesMom, hope your day is not too crazy.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - what class are you teaching next semester? Same as last year? Not getting much done is the story of my life, especially when it's hot. I don't want to run errands, don't want to cook, and certainly don't want to clean when it's as H & H as it is now. Sitting in the cool living room with a cold mountain dew is a lot more appealing.

D - good luck with your 11 today. That's a long time to run after you put in hours of work.

Not sure whether I'll run on the TM or do the bike this afternoon. I slept really late, to make up for not sleeping the night before. My leg doesn't hurt today, but I haven't tried to run and we only did a short walk with Ben since it's so hot and there's no shade. Still, not waking up in pain is progress, of a sort.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, it's the same as last year, but I need to get it ready to go online in case we need to go online in a hurry.  Currently I'm scheduled to teach in-person.  We'll see what happens ...

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, folks!  Another scorcher here today, but I'm biking anyway.  And another crazy day in the lab, but that seems to be the new norm.  I'm still working on some stubborn samples, I can see the main peak but not the two smaller peaks.  I've got a question out to a friend to see if he's got any advice on that.  Tomorrow I really need to stop working on this sample and run some other samples instead, though that will mean switching out part of my system, which I hate.  It always takes longer than it should to get everything aligned again.  Still, it has to be done!  Quartet chat over lunch today, which I'm looking forward to.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Tell the samples to get it together!

I have an RD. Just came back from the dentist for my second crown.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, Penguins!  I've got a headache today, I suspect from tension.

So, here's all the drama.  I received a terminal contract last week, which means that my appointment here will end in a year, at the end of June 2021.  It was a complete surprise to me -- although my contract is always year to year, there was no intimation that I would not be renewed.  I talked to my advice guru here yesterday, and she said that basically my university is coping with the COVID-induced budget shortfall by shedding as many personnel as they possibly can, on any pretext they can come up with.  Shortsighted, but they don't want to tap our $2m endowment.  (What exactly, then, WOULD cause them to use it?  What's it for?  Who knows?)  Anyway, there's a possibility that though the university is not choosing to continue supporting my facility, the college could.  So I sort of got fired, in a year, and sort of not.  There's no way of knowing, at this point, whether I would have a job come next year.  Perhaps I would know more in a few months, but then I've lost a few months of job hunting.  I really don't want to leave the area I'm in, but my work is so specialized that there is literally no position available in this area, and one is not likely to arise.

It's a pickle.  And is causing me huge stress.  I hate it.  And I can't fix it, and I can't do anything about it.

So I'm job hunting, except do I really want to?  Or need to?  Would I be better off seeing how things coalesce?

Yeah, a headache.  Plus those samples, though I may be making progress on them.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, no, HopesMom. I'm so sorry. Hoping the college keeps you.

PS, stupid the stuff they are cutting which hardly makes a dent into their budget.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - that really sucks. I would have thought the lab was important enough they'd need to keep it open. Sorry you're going to have to deal with this.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, it's kind of insane around here.  They'd have to cut 1/10 of their faculty to cover the budget shortfall, which I'm betting is not the way to go.  However, it sounds like they're trimming absolutely everyone they can get away with.  I don't know how likely it is that the college will keep the facility, but I have a meeting today with the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and the Dean of Research, so maybe I will know more after that.  I'm betting, though, that they will say "We'd like to do this, but no guarantees if we can" which would leave me in the exact same boat I'm sitting in now. 

No biking today, I needed a break.  Plus my chorus zoom starts at 7:00, and with biking and my crazy week, I'm just walking in the door at 7:00.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck at the meeting. Keep us posted!

I have 6 tonight.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi, Penguins!

So I learned at my meeting that the whole shebang comes down to finances (no surprise).  I run high-end mass spectrometers, think $500k or more purchase price.  The upkeep on these monsters is minimum $15k per year each, and more likely to be $40k or more each.  Nobody thinks this is justified in this current climate by the volume of business that I do, so they want to stop supporting the instruments, which makes me rather superfluous.  And hey, this way they get to keep my salary as well.  There still may be a path forward here, but it definitely won't look like it does now, so it's something I would have to consider when I know what form it takes.  So, I'm looking.  I've got a year's grace period, so hopefully something good will come along.  I'm giving part of my day each day to job hunting, otherwise I'm trying not to stress.

Biked in this morning, which was lovely and unstressful.  Thank goodness!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm so sorry. Hoping you find something good you can move to.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

I'm sorry HM. I hope you find something quickly, though that may be difficult in today's uncertain times.

I'll try to run again this afternoon, though the grumbling from my backside makes me dubious. This is a good year to be injured, since I have no reason to push myself hard, except that I hate not being able to run without pain.