Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 47 Winter In July 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252047%2520Winter%2520in%2520July%25205K?sort=2

Link to photos only:

Full report below.    

BEFORE THE START

My 47th race of 2019 was the Winter in July 5K held on July 27th at Wheatley Heights sports complex in San Antonio, Texas.  There was also a 10K and a Kid’s Run.  This event raises funds for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital in Memphis.  I try to do this event every year as it’s a personal one for me as, way back when, during my Air Force days, I was a volunteer at St. Jude’s.  Kids with cancer are some of the most courageous people I have ever met. 

Start time of 7:30 a.m., a nice early start which is nice for the warm July days.  We did get pretty lucky with the weather as, locally, we’ve been having a week of fairly mild temps, low humidity, and low dewpoints for Texas summer in July.  It felt pretty good out there and not overly oppressive.   I arrived with just a little under an hour to start time and did my usual pre-start photo thing.

BBQ Food truck on site

photo IMG_1074_zpsaw1detps.jpg

My friends and the owners of the BBQ Food truck.  Great people.

photo IMG_1061_zpsowwy7bb1.jpg

photo IMG_1063_zpsxuyuuxun.jpg

Our MC

photo IMG_1066_zpst3hqwi6h.jpg

Various photos before the start

photo IMG_1064_zps7ni0qhyp.jpg

photo IMG_1067_zpsbhksq2zb.jpg

photo IMG_1068_zpstmyxszes.jpg

photo IMG_1069_zps4kh1vvgt.jpg

photo IMG_1071_zpsbjablhur.jpg

photo IMG_1072_zpsfkjfrzzs.jpg

photo IMG_1073_zpsqy8bhzlr.jpg

photo IMG_1075_zpsk4xnrvod.jpg

photo IMG_1076_zpsjdkur8hv.jpg

photo IMG_1077_zpsrgm1xuwu.jpg

photo IMG_1078_zpsuvj6qswx.jpg

photo IMG_1079_zpsdgfcqfku.jpg

photo IMG_1080_zpsuakmv58s.jpg

photo IMG_1081_zpsqciwqzwk.jpg

photo IMG_1082_zpscfrk11gz.jpg

photo IMG_1083_zps71auq2vu.jpg

photo IMG_1084_zps2zjltvzm.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started on an asphalt pad behind the stadium bleachers, going out one of the stadium gates and then a short jaunt past the parking area.  We then went onto a service road that took us to nearby Martin Luther King Park where we did a route on the park’s paved trails to a turn-round point and then came back the way we had gone out.  The course was very flat with just a mile incline at the start and finish, and lots of shade along the route.  I ended up with a time of 34:15, which put me 4th in my age group of 60 – 69.  The overall finisher male did it in 17-something, zowie!  The 10K overall male winner finished in 42-something if I remember correctly.  I think on my run I did that pace for about 30 seconds and then I had to lie down and rest for a minute.  😉

photo IMG_1085_zpskgzgcom2.jpg

photo IMG_1086_zpsqkewjb9y.jpg

photo IMG_1087_zps9y9ji0vw.jpg

photo IMG_1088_zpsl3jqsy9h.jpg

photo IMG_1091_zpsyhgvbgk1.jpg

photo IMG_1092_zpsffj3qg6r.jpg

photo IMG_1093_zpsmhty64ny.jpg

photo IMG_1095_zpsu9eiqqel.jpg

photo IMG_1096_zpsdqc2j4yr.jpg

photo IMG_1097_zpstedp2dk1.jpg

photo IMG_1098_zps8qg0lf0f.jpg

photo IMG_1099_zpsqj3e5jmk.jpg

Heading to the finish...about 1/4 mile or so to go from here

photo IMG_1101_zpsxjgwalv7.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

First thing, get some water and some post-race food and sat for a while just relaxing and enjoying some of the post-race goodies. After that, did my usual post-race wandering around like an exploring dog, chatting with friends and taking various photos.

photo IMG_1102_zpshmtzwqno.jpg

photo IMG_1105_zpshqb6w07x.jpg

photo IMG_1104_zpsdpmi7ome.jpg

photo IMG_1107_zpsao55o8iv.jpg

photo IMG_1110_zpspqsvrekr.jpg

photo IMG_1111_zpsgn71pkgu.jpg

This cold, sweet tea sure hit the spot post-race to help me get my blood sugar back up..

photo IMG_1117_zpsm421bl51.jpg

photo IMG_1116_zpstequxfbx.jpg

photo IMG_1118_zps4iuucgr8.jpg

photo IMG_1119_zps7ozz4me4.jpg

photo IMG_1121_zpstamvprye.jpg

My friend Woody, with character Woody

photo IMG_1122_zpsjwnstavm.jpg

photo IMG_1125_zps3vsnk6fb.jpg

photo IMG_1126_zpsy6jjk4tf.jpg

photo IMG_1132_zpst2xsqyrc.jpg

photo IMG_1133_zpsxfqi61b4.jpg

photo IMG_1127_zpsubrpqqcy.jpg

photo IMG_1128_zpst0bjt0gu.jpg

photo IMG_1129_zpslfrbw1fz.jpg

photo IMG_1130_zpsifr3uexm.jpg

Thanks, Race Day folks and Race Director Rebecca (2nd from right)

photo IMG_1131_zpswcomfh6x.jpg

The race shirt

photo IMG_1135_zpspclum0sc.jpg

EPILOGUE

Really nice turn-out for this event – 278 total finishers, 5K and 10K - and raised quite a bit of funds for the cause too, somewhere close to $10K as someone told me.  Nice little after-party too, with Cow-Tipping BBQ food truck serving up brisket tacos and there was also snow cones, Luziana cold tea, various fruits and veggies, and lots of free stuff from the sponsors that had tents there.  Also photo opportunities with various ‘characters’.   Really nice quality race shirts and finisher medals to all finishers.  This is always a very nicely organized event, led by Race Director Rebecca who does a great job each year. I have done this one in the past and will continue to do it in the future.

Thanks so much to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement out there for us, food vendors, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all for what you do so we participants can have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt