Beginners and Beyond

Explain track workouts to me (Read 60 times)

LRB

Generally speaking, my fastest workouts (5k and "R" pace) are usually on the weekend, so my Tuesday workout doesn't get much faster than 10k pace. The reason is twofold; 1, I am usually too spent from the previous weekend's workout to run much faster and 2, you don't want to overtax yourself so that you can train uninhibited the following weekend.

There are of course caveats to that, in addition to just going with it if you're feeling it, but I don't think exceeding a workout's goal is the worst thing in the world.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

How many speed workouts does one normally do or suggest?

I'm not sure if I want to keep mine on Sunday, since I normally try for an LR on the weekend, I'm wondering if moving it to the beginning of my week (Tuesday) would be best.

I know I want aim around 6:40-7:00 min pace using my intervals, but increase the distance I have to hold it. Last Sunday I did the 4x400m workout twice, so I think this Sunday  (or next Tuesday if I decide to change days) I will aim to do a 5x800m workout holding that pace. See how it goes with that.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Half Crazy K 2.0

For my last half, I did the speed based workouts on Tuesday or Wednesday. Fridays and Sundays were longer runs with some sort of quality thrown in at times.

Cyberic

How many speed workouts does one normally do or suggest?

I would say one or two, depending on many things.

Often, when people do two, they do like LRB:

• one with shorter bouts of faster running (mile to 5K pace)
          • and another one with longer stretches of not as fast running (10k to HM pace)

I'm doing one a week right now.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I would say one or two, depending on many things.

Often, when people do two, they do like LRB:

• one with shorter bouts of faster running (mile to 5K pace)
            • and another one with longer stretches of not as fast running (10k to HM pace)

I'm doing one a week right now.

This. For a half, it may be some shorter, faster stuff and then a few miles at half marathon pace in a longer run.

RichardR

Me again.

Concerning running the fast parts too fast (the word 'intervals' actually refers to the controlled recovery between), this is what I think I know.....

The idea is to target specifically part of your oxygen delivery system (maybe vo2).  So, what you are trying to do, for example, is right at the edge of what you are capable in that, and hold (but not as long as a max effort).

I feel like if I overcook them, then I am not in the proper target, so I am not getting the benefits.

That, along with the idea of overtraining, so my 49-year-old body can't recover.

McMillan, for example, suggests running 800s at (5K race pace) - (about 20 sec/mi).  For me presently, that would put them at about 3:55.  I can endure a workout of them at 3:45, but I feel it is not the best.

Cyberic

Me again.

Concerning running the fast parts too fast (the word 'intervals' actually refers to the controlled recovery between), this is what I think I know.....

The idea is to target specifically part of your oxygen delivery system (maybe vo2).  So, what you are trying to do, for example, is right at the edge of what you are capable in that, and hold (but not as long as a max effort).

I feel like if I overcook them, then I am not in the proper target, so I am not getting the benefits.

That, along with the idea of overtraining, so my 49-year-old body can't recover.

McMillan, for example, suggests running 800s at (5K race pace) - (about 20 sec/mi).  For me presently, that would put them at about 3:55.  I can endure a workout of them at 3:45, but I feel it is not the best.

Ok. I'm not a big believer in the magic paces thing, but I get what you're saying. I just do not come to the same conclusion.

To me, going faster than the prescribed pace will just make me too tired to hold it as long than if I was going slower (at the prescribed pace), thus the workout is not at maximal effectiveness, but I'm not negating the effects of the workout.

Half Crazy K 2.0

For future programming of your Garmin, here are some rough metric to mile conversions I use:

100m= .06 miles

200m= .12 miles

400m = .25 miles

800m= .5 miles

They aren't exact, but I figure close enough.

As far as pacing, I've quit worrying about the exact pace. For shorter stuff, I want it to feel hard, but not like an all out sprint. I also try to keep an even effort through the whole thing. I find I start them too fast.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

For future programming of your Garmin, here are some rough metric to mile conversions I use:

100m= .06 miles

200m= .12 miles

400m = .25 miles

800m= .5 miles

They aren't exact, but I figure close enough.

As far as pacing, I've quit worrying about the exact pace. For shorter stuff, I want it to feel hard, but not like an all out sprint. I also try to keep an even effort through the whole thing. I find I start them too fast.

I'm only concerned about pacing because I really, really want to get under 7 min/mile pace for a mile to 5k, to maybe even a 10k someday.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)