Beginners and Beyond

Finally FRIDAILIES (Read 42 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Damaris this 97 heat index business is scaring me..... it has been 60s and low 70s for all my runs this week!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

meaghansketch

Good, good.  You are doing what I did, looking past the glass ceiling and letting your training dictate goals.  Excellent.

Yes, that's a good way to put it.  I think the theme for my training this year is becoming 'stop putting limits on yourself'. For too long I've let my perceptions of my past self dictate what I wasn't capable of.  I'm determined to leave that behind and find out where my limits are.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hydrate.  That is all.  The 97F is not the bad thing.  It's the 77DP that is August.  We're only running a few miles.  We are running, right???????????????

Damaris this 97 heat index business is scaring me..... it has been 60s and low 70s for all my runs this week!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Go get them!  I am in the same conundrum now.  My asthma has limited my performance in the last two years. Should I go balls all out in Chicago or not?  I feel like doing so.  After all, what is to happen?  You don't PR, but you learn something about yourself.

Yes, that's a good way to put it.  I think the theme for my training this year is becoming 'stop putting limits on yourself'. For too long I've let my perceptions of my past self dictate what I wasn't capable of.  I'm determined to leave that behind and find out where my limits are.

Damaris

LRB

You are on the right path, the quote from Jack Daniels in my signature line sums it up best.

As for me, we are currently driving through the great state of Arkansas, yeee doggie!  It is a 21 hour drive from H-Town to the D and we are about  8 hours in, with an eye on driving right on through (with pit stops of course).

The kid is a driving beast like Pops so we are making good time, with no signs of fatigue....yet.

Antipodean

Sorry for charging in here uninvited. Joking I have been experiencing PVCs (feels like palpitations) for over a year now and have been through a load of testing. Just recently I saw a cardiologist and did a treadmill stress test. Conclusion? Absolutely nothing to worry about. Doc said it's normal and that I only feel it because I'm worried about it and consequently focused on it. He said to ignore it. And to keep on running. He is now my personal hero. And in the weeks since he told me that I haven't even noticed the PVCs. I still have to do a follow up echocardiogram, but am confident that will be good.

If you don't feel symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, I have (or had, haven't noticed it in a few years) a common arrhythmia known as Premature ventricular contractions (PVC), something of an "extra" heartbeat originating in the ventricle. It was pretty pronounced about 5+ years ago when I was really out of shape but I haven't noticed any symptoms for several years now. I'm not on any medication for it, and I have no idea if I should be running or not. Considering how much better I've felt since I started running, I'll go out on a limb and say that it is more healthy for me to run than to not run.

Maybe I'll tell my doctor that I run. Some day...

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

LRB

Sorry for charging in here uninvited. 

Supp yo!  Where 'dem donuts at?

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Sorry for charging in here uninvited. Joking I have been experiencing PVCs (feels like palpitations) for over a year now and have been through a load of testing. Just recently I saw a cardiologist and did a treadmill stress test. Conclusion? Absolutely nothing to worry about. Doc said it's normal and that I only feel it because I'm worried about it and consequently focused on it. He said to ignore it. And to keep on running. He is now my personal hero. And in the weeks since he told me that I haven't even noticed the PVCs. I still have to do a follow up echocardiogram, but am confident that will be good.

If you don't feel symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it.

That's about what I was told, and that's about what happened. Though it was discovered when I was getting a physical for a new job and the nurse was unable to get my blood pressure due to the PVC. She couldn't hear the heartbeat well enough to get a measurement (she was using the old-fashioned apparatus to measure it). Anyway, it was pretty frequent and pronounced at that time, but I was also borderline high blood pressure and had about 50 pounds of excess weight and a boatload of stress going on.

I also went through the treadmill stress test, EKG, ECG, and some other stuff at the time. Even had to wear the monitor for a day (it really peaked their interest when I spent 20 minutes shoveling the snow away from my mailbox - my HR jumped pretty high for that time period).

Anyway, thanks for the post.

I think that Sarah's situation is different than ours was though.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54