Beginners and Beyond

We Remember 9-11 Thursday Penguins (Read 27 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

My bank time/temp sign says 49F.  The F does not stand for fahrenheit  Sad

Singer who runs a smidge

What does it stand for?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Scotty - good picture.  Sounds like you had a good run this a.m.  Is it supposed to cool off when the polar vortex descends?

Damaris - you're really being good about the pilates lately.  Does it help?

Jerry - have fun at the gym.

Tracilynn - enjoy your easy three later.

Hopesmom - have fun at rehearsal.

Jack - how is your body feeling after all the rest?  Have you been doing any therapy?

Bin - I hope you enjoyed your daddy time with the little ones.  Have a good swim.

AFM:  9/11 I was working at a lawfirm in downtown DC.  We heard the news and ran into my boss' office to watch TV and saw the towers fall.  It was horrifying. One of my co-workers was driving past the Pentagon when the plane hit there. She arrived late, and told us what she had seen.  Another friend's daughter was inside the Pentagon, and though she survived, she was horribly injured.  My BIL was just arriving for a meeting there when the plane hit.  He got lucky.   A friend sent me an email that more planes were headed toward DC - that was the plane that went down in PA - and nobody knew if it was true, but it seemed very likely. Being in Washington, we really felt like we were targets. They sent us home, but at first Metro was shut down, so I started to walk home (about 15 miles) but then someone on the street said the trains were running again so I got on.  I had called my husband before I left the office, so he sat at the Metro station with several hundred other cars waiting until the trains started arriving. We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV.  Unforgettable.

As for today, bad thunderstorms are forecast for this afternoon, so I'll do a few easy miles on the TM and then go out with my husband for his birthday dinner.

I am only good because I pay for it and if I miss a session I lose like $85.   Talk about motivation.

I think Pilates is great.  I feel more flexible and I started heavy weights last week and I am above what I would normally start in Week 1 and I think it's all because Pilates has made my core and shoulders stronger.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What does it stand for?

Yes, what?

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy gym time, Jerry!

Hope your 3 goes well, Traci, and your shins behave.

Enjoy chorus tonite, HsM.  Sing it loud, sing it proud!

Dang, Damaris...pilates, weights, AND miles!  You're really getting it all done today!  How is that 'crazy lady' at your office?  Any more drama?  You could have your own soap opera.......Attorney Peyton Place....As The World Attorneys..... Brief Dark Shadow.....Ryan's Hope..Is That Everyone Shuts The Hell Up! 

Wow, Jack, I feel for ya!  I don't mind warm-weather running - prefer it, actually, to being cold - but this is getting ridiculous!  Your parents are taking a vacation from being retired?  That must be some stressful retirement!  Wishing them a safe and happy trip.

OK, Bin...get back to it now! 

Wow, Ginny, you were in DC at the time?  That must've been crazy and awful on that day.  Being retired military, I still had several active duty friends, and some who were also retired and working as civil servants at the Pentagon that day.  Very tragic and sad.    Happy B'day to your husband!  Enjoy the dinner.

Glad the shoes are working for you, Lauren!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

3.3 mile this morning.

I remember that day too well. At the time, my office was on Fort Stewart (Army base). Angie called me that morning and said that something was happening in NY and we needed to turn on the news. A couple of us ran to the break room and turned on the TV about 30 seconds prior to the second plane hitting. It fell deathly silent in the usually noisy room. There were things that had to be accomplished that day but the majority of it was spent silently in front of the TV. For days we were glued to the news and I just can't explain how it felt being in the middle of a base full of the most badass soldiers on earth that knew they were about to go to war.

An ironic fact that we still talk about, Fort Stewart was an open base until exactly 2 weeks prior to 9/11. You could enter and drive all over the base whenever you wanted until then. It went from wide open to armed soldiers at gates that were constructed overnight. To this day the gates are closed and you don't just go out there if you want to.

A  sobering fact, there is a place on FS called Warrior's Walk that has been built to honor the soldiers from Fort Stewart that have died in the war on terror since 9/11. There is a tree and small monument with the soldier's information for each of the now 450+ that have given all. I hope to one day make it to NY to see Ground Zero and if any of you ever make it to coastal GA it would be a honor to take you to see Warrior's Walk.

Running for TJ because he can't.

tracilynn

Wow Robert! Chilling story and sad. I (hope) to take you up on that offer of seeing warrior walk

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Robert, I hope to take you up on the Warrior Walk also.

I took a rest day today. I was working nightshift, so was asleep when it happened. My wife immediately woke me up, and I was able to see the 2nd plane hit live. I didn't sleep much the rest of the day.