Beginners and Beyond

Boston RR (Read 82 times)

LRB

68.5 miles worth of racing in 8 days, incredible!  You still going for the T.K.O. at Adirondack?  And by that I mean the podium.

hog4life

Jay, I started to quote your very first paragraph because it was quite moving, but after reading the rest of the report, I can't, because the whole report is moving. You are such a humble man; I wanted to say thank you for sharing your experience. In reading this, I could tell with every sentence that it wasn't about the "race", but more so about the experience. Congrats on a great race! I hope one day to run Boston too.

Jack - I didn't spot Fuzzy, but he must have passed me somewhere en route to his excellent PR.

Rick - That would be the dream, yes.  I'll have to train at my utmost best, and even then, if someone considerably faster shows up, it won't happen.  But there is a non-trivial chance and I'm going after it.

Hog - thanks, I hope you can go someday, it is incredible.

workinprogress11

What a great RR.  A sub 3 while playing to the crowd a week after an ultra.  All I can say is wow!  Congratulations on a wonderful race and experience.

LRB

But there is a non-trivial chance and I'm going after it.

Let that dream be your guide throughout your training cycle, if nothing else it makes training so much more interesting!

B-Plus

Yeah, I decided against it because of the chance of dropping the singlet.  But I would have taken it off first and then tossed the tee.

I'm just glad you didn't wear a long sleeve again. Huge congrats and great RR. Makes me wanna get back there.

Jay, that was a great RR! You are a heckuva runner. Congrats on the race and you captured some of the feelings of the day perfectly.

Ric-G

Enjoy the way you describe these things....great report. Can't believe you ran that 40 mile "jog" leading up to this. Congrats on your race and sharing what it was like that day. Be well.

started that walk.  A mixture of confidence, nerves, pride, and happiness. 

marathon pr - 3:16

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congrats Jay! I loved reading your RR, as always. Great running, and way to hold on even though your legs may have been tired.

- Andrew

Pinktastic

HUGE congrats, Jay!   I really loved your RR - very inspiring!   You have such a way with words.   Have you ever thought of writing professionally?    Thanks for sharing!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

GinnyinPA

Excellent race report.  Thank you for sharing.  And congratulations on doing so well, despite feeling undertrained.

happylily

I cried a little bit reading your report, Jay. They were feel good tears, don't worry. You were not aware of it, but on April 21st, you ran for me. Thank you so much for owning that finish line once again; for you, for me and for thousands of runners across America. You are a true champion in my heart.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

Great RR and congrats!! You captured the crowd and spirit real well. I was so proud of my area on how well everything went. 5k finished after me, but so many spectators stayed to cheer. In past years when I had faster times it wasn't uncommon to see people walking away from their spots carrying chairs etc. but not this year.

TheSuze

Super awesome RR... I teared up at the end. I can't even fathom the emotion that must have been there.

Will run for scenery.

I always love your RRs, Jay,  and this one was no exception.  It feels like being there, an insider's point of view.  Great race and I am so glad there were no cat hallucinations.  I can see how that would be a distraction.

I don't think I'll ever BQ, but from what I hear fantasize I may have to bandit that mile by Wellesley.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!