Beginners and Beyond

Week 26 Penguins would not kiss a wookie. (06/14-06/20) (Read 8 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National Kiss a Wookie Day, and now you know as much as I do.  We did name our cat Chewbacca due to his propensity to roar instead of meow, so maybe that counts.  Anyway ....

So I'm back at work full time.  That form I was waiting on Friday never materialized, so oh well.  I did get the official email from my department chair, and between that and the Office of Research, I'm good to go.  Filled out my daily health checklist before I left, I have my PPE, and I'm open for business.  Which means I need to email the investigators that asked in the past month or so if I'm accepting samples, so that's on my to-do list.  I need to wake the instruments back up, do a ton of work things, and call to see if I can get a haircut.

Also my folks are coming up to visit this weekend, so I need to make plans for that too.  Busy busy!!

Oh, and I am now sporting a nice, 2-inch scratch down my nose.  DH had taken Dusty out to pee about 4AM Sunday morning.  We were all getting settled back in, and Maggie was snoozing next to DH.  She sneezed, which startled him.  He jumped, which terrified her.  She made her frantic escape across my face, causing quite the gush of blood, exclamations of pain (no profanity, though, because I'm just that good), and no small amount of tears, because I was really surprised and it hurt quite a bit.

Now wearing my glasses is a little uncomfortable, and I have yet another reason to wear a mask. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - sorry you got hurt. That is not the way you want to get back to sleep. Good luck with being back to work full time. Is your assistant back as well? IT seems to me that if there is enough space in the lab, you should be able to both work.

It's a beautiful day here again, low humidity and not that hot. This won't last, so I want to get out and enjoy it, but with the pain in my left leg, running is not a smart option. I can do it, but it doesn't get better by forcing it. We're going camping for a few days so I may focus on walking instead of running since that is much less painful. Since we don't know where we're going, except "to West Virginia" I don't know what the options are.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Chewy is my favorite character so I'll hug him. Smile

I have 7 or 0. Took today off and on my way to the dentist. I'll decide later but I can't breathe well today due to allergies so we shall see.

HopesMom, ouch! I've suffered a scar on my face from when Trixie woke up startled at my husband's cough and used me as a jump board.

Ginny, enjoy the day.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, it's cooler here, but pretty much rain all week long.  It was only sprinkling this morning, and I brought my raincoat, so I biked in anyway.  Hopefully it won't be pouring by the time I leave!

My folks are coming to visit this weekend, so I'm making cooking plans and baking plans, and taking Monday off work (so this thread will be a day late, don't panic!)  I really hesitated to take a day off work when we're JUST getting back to work, and things will probably be quite busy, but then I decided that I really shouldn't be prioritizing work over a rare family visit.  So it's another day in the lab, receiving samples, getting them started processing, etc etc.  Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We are back to hot summer weather. I have 7 and weights tonight.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

It's supposed to pour all day today, so no biking for me.  Of course, it was barely sprinkling when I got to work, so I might still have to shake my head at myself.  But it's supposed to be pouring when I leave, so there!  And it's supposed to rain tomorrow, and Friday, and Saturday, and Monday, and possibly Sunday ...

But hey, it's just weather, so oh well.  My cat scratch is healing nicely, I'm getting used to this working onsite all week thing, the cool weather makes for good sleeping at night, and how would I appreciate sunny days without rainy days? 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I have 10 on the TM later today.

HopesMom, that's how it always goes for me too. If it's rainy and I don't bring sunglasses, the sun comes out in force. If I do, then it stays raining.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Yep, it was not raining when I left yesterday either.  Sheesh.

So today it is only a 40% chance of rain, so I biked in.  I'm glad I did, because the sun was shining and the weather was lovely.  It'll be hot and humid by the time I leave, but oh well.

The governor very abruptly declared tomorrow a state holiday ... had I known that, I would not have set my experiments to finish on Friday.  So, I'll be working.  I might leave early, or I might not.  Depends on how the day goes.  My folks are visiting this weekend, so I'm already planning to take Monday off to spend with them.  And since I'm working tomorrow, I can save the holiday to use some time in the next year.  Crazy times!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Probably because it's Juneteenth?

I have 5 and weights. My ankles and Achilles have been hurting lately in the morning and then calm down. I think the TM might be wobbly and my weak ankles are paying for it. Must check the TM and redo.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Yes, for Juneteenth.  I don't disagree with the premise for the holiday, just wish I'd had more notice.  It's very clearly a reaction to what's going on around the country and in Richmond specifically ... I wish it hadn't taken this level of protest for us as America to recognize things that are important to non-white people, and the existence of systemic injustice.  At least some things are changing, which is good.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hello, penguins all!  I didn't bike in today, as it's supposed to be raining this afternoon.  Which probably means it'll be totally sunny, but oh well.  I'm also having to get used to riding several times a week again, instead of just Mondays.  Like I'm having to get used to working several times a week again.  I even had to gas up my car!!

I'm getting a haircut today, which will be all kinds of wonderful.  I called to get their Covid protocols, since they were supposed to send me an email and I never got it.  I was going to overtip a good bit, but turns out I don't have the $20 bill I thought I had.  I do have $15, though, so that'll be a slight overtip.  Oh well.

And my folks are driving toward us, even as we speak.  They'll get here fairly late tonight and will go straight to their hotel, and we'll see them in the morning.  Which means I need to clean off the table when I get home tonight!  That whole "flat surface collects stuff" thing.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sounds like a busy day. Hoping your parents get there safe and quick.

I have 6 with speedwork and Pilates.

Damaris