Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins are braving the pirate donut hangover! (Read 11 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

If only!!  I discovered through FB that Krispy Kreme gave away a free dozen donuts to anyone dressed like a pirate.  I discovered this when my cousin posted that he dressed up his four kids and hauled off an amazing four dozen donuts!!  Not that there's a Krispy Kreme anywhere near me, but I might have to go find one next year!!

SRD, and a quartet gig tonight.  Singing for a women's homeless shelter.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

My neighbor is in a pirate band.  They cleaned up yesterday!

5 this morning w/4x800

From the Internet.

Adventure fartlek this morning! 2-3 minutes hard with 2ish minute recoveries - in the middle of the third hard rep, I saw a coyote up ahead. Like, a HUGE coyote. Like I was questioning whether it might really be a wolf or a mountain lion or something. Dude didn't even flinch when I clapped my hands, so I booked it down a side street as hard as my little legs would go. When I hit the other side of the woods I could hear it yipping in the distance. That's the second time in a week, the first one was much less bold and let me pass. Guess I'm avoiding that street before dawn from now on! D: Too bad 'cause it was one of my favorite routes.

Singer who runs a smidge

That'll cause some SERIOUS fartleks!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  Back from Cali.  DNFd the marathon due to asthma (first 8 miles were on a sandy and dusty trail so that wrecked my lungs).  No fucks given when I quit.  LOL.  Ran 10 today as my birthday run.  Pilates later.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Up at 5 this morning and out to the UTSA campus for a run/walk. Planned on 3 easy miles...but after the first mile I was feeling good and thought to myself "I may have 4 in me today..." Ended up with 4.1 miles in 46:17..not really speedy, but when I was done I felt I could have gone a bit farther...but did not want to push it. Doncha just love running days like that? Nice mental confidence booster too for my 8K coming up this weekend. Have not done 8K distance in forever...but I'm at 4 now...so, shoot, I can crawl the last .96 if I have to.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Adventure fartlek this morning! 2-3 minutes hard with 2ish minute recoveries - in the middle of the third hard rep, I saw a coyote up ahead. Like, a HUGE coyote. Like I was questioning whether it might really be a wolf or a mountain lion or something. Dude didn't even flinch when I clapped my hands, so I booked it down a side street as hard as my little legs would go. When I hit the other side of the woods I could hear it yipping in the distance. That's the second time in a week, the first one was much less bold and let me pass. Guess I'm avoiding that street before dawn from now on! D: Too bad 'cause it was one of my favorite routes.

Clapping your hands?  Are you nuts?  i would have gone into 'stealth mode' lol, and tried to get around/away from him as quietly as possible.

I remember running in Norway in the 80s.  BIGGEST damn dog I ever saw was running parallel to me maybe about 300 or so yards to my right.  It never bothered me, just kept running even with me and kinda 'gave me the eye' every once in a while.  After I got back to the Norwegian Air Base, the Norweigians were about falling down laughing when I told them....and then told me there were no dogs out there in that forest, that was a WOLF!  Dang..I'm glad I didn't know at the time!  Tongue

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Afternoon!  Back from Cali.  DNFd the marathon due to asthma (first 8 miles were on a sandy and dusty trail so that wrecked my lungs).  No fucks given when I quit.  LOL.  Ran 10 today as my birthday run.  Pilates later.

Sorry about your DNF, Damaris.  Sandy, dusty, that sounds like a tough run.

And, BTW.....

Image result for dog saying happy birthday!

Singer who runs a smidge

Clapping your hands?  Are you nuts?  i would have gone into 'stealth mode' lol, and tried to get around/away from him as quietly as possible.

I remember running in Norway in the 80s.  BIGGEST damn dog I ever saw was running parallel to me maybe about 300 or so yards to my right.  It never bothered me, just kept running even with me and kinda 'gave me the eye' every once in a while.  After I got back to the Norwegian Air Base, the Norweigians were about falling down laughing when I told them....and then told me there were no dogs out there in that forest, that was a WOLF!  Dang..I'm glad I didn't know at the time!  Tongue

YIKES!!!  I'm glad all I have to worry about are deer, and Chewbacca.  And something that might be an owl -- we've heard it, but we've never seen it.  It's not a regular hoot, more of a whirr.

Singer who runs a smidge

Happy birthday, D!!

GinnyinPA

Scotty - sounds like a nice run. It has been a while since I've had one like that, where I wanted to go extra.

HopesMom - enjoy your concert tonight.

PAD - nice intervals.

Lauren - I always worry when wild animals don't run away from me that they might have rabies.  Good thing you left the area.

Damaris - I'm sorry about the asthma wrecking your race.  Happy birthday.

AFM:  Beer runners tonight, but I'm not sure I'm going.  They're running along with a walking group that is just starting in town and the railtrail is likely to be really crowded.OTOH, it's company.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks!  Hugs.

I took today off and I've been busier than had I not been!  Gah.

Damaris

From the Internet.

Lol I was bright and flashy, there was no hiding! Last time I saw one I clapped and yelled and it scampered off into the woods and left me alone. Probably wouldn't have bothered me today either, but I'd rather not find out!!

That's wild about the wolf, wow! You have the most intense wildlife encounters!

Happy birthday Damaris!