Beginners and Beyond

B&B 2021 Miles Game (Read 51 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

There's a feature called "report" or "reports" in the group, in which I put in the dates (from last week's Monday to Sunday) and I get everyone's mileage in one place. After that a CTRL-F finds each runner easily. Easier than getting them from multiple posts, actually.

Cool.  I didn't know that existed.

Even easier might be to copy/paste the report into Excel and use a vlookup function to get the data out.  Along those lines, another simplification would be to set up a separate group for the participants, but we might lose some people that way.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12; Firecracker 4-miler, 7/4

DavePNW

I'd be willing to run the spreadsheet if people are willing to copy/paste their weekly mileage here so I can get it all from one place rather than having to visit everyone's log.  There'd also have to be general agreement about what happens when miles aren't posted (i.e. how often or far back will retroactive adjustments be made?).

You can ask Damaris about running a game relying on people manually posting their miles every week! That was how the RWOL game worked, IIRC, and every week there were slackers. There is a core group here you wouldn’t have to worry about, but some people come & go. I agree with Cyber that public log info makes it the easiest, but anyone volunteering to run the game gets to set their own rules.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

You can ask Damaris about running a game relying on people manually posting their miles every week! That was how the RWOL game worked, IIRC, and every week there were slackers. 

Usually the same people, and it enraged me.  Nothing like not posting your miles on time during a playoff week and saying "Oops I forgot tee hee"

<3

KCRuns

Congrats DaveP on Miles and Overall Winner and Cyberic on Consistency!  Y'all did great!

And thank you, Cy, for running the game this year!

Even though this was not a good running year for me personally, I enjoyed seeing the weekly totals and how everyone was doing.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Cool.  I didn't know that existed.

Even easier might be to copy/paste the report into Excel and use a vlookup function to get the data out.  Along those lines, another simplification would be to set up a separate group for the participants, but we might lose some people that way.

It does and I think it's for all members, not just for the admins. It's super easy when you run it Monday through Sunday and it shows you everybody in order. I can help if you decide on taking it this year so we can do it one more year (and maybe then rotate with others as reporters after that).

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

It does and I think it's for all members, not just for the admins. It's super easy when you run it Monday through Sunday and it shows you everybody in order. I can help if you decide on taking it this year so we can do it one more year (and maybe then rotate with others as reporters after that).

I can take it on (it would help if I could have the spreadsheet).

It would be easier if we set up a group for those participating.  We could keep the conversation here on B&B, but the report would only show the members of the game, rather than the almost 1,000 active and inactive members of B&B.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I can take it on (it would help if I could have the spreadsheet).

It would be easier if we set up a group for those participating.  We could keep the conversation here on B&B, but the report would only show the members of the game, rather than the almost 1,000 active and inactive members of B&B.

Cy will send it to you. And I agree; we can do it as part of the Dailies and those who wish to participate. We only did the number of people you saw in the results. We can try the same number minus those that never chimed in (a couple or 1).

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Cy will send it to you. And I agree; we can do it as part of the Dailies and those who wish to participate. We only did the number of people you saw in the results. We can try the same number minus those that never chimed in (a couple or 1).

Just saying the updating will be easier if we have a separate group for participants.  We need not use the group for any interactions (keep the discussions here), but for administrative purposes the separate group will help.  It will also make clear who wants to participate (i.e. those who join the group).

Half Crazy K 2.0

Cyberic, thanks for doing this! It wass really interesting to watch these numbers all year. Congrats on your consistency.

DavePNW, congrats on winning!

It was sort of interesting seeing how this game & the other one impacted each other. I probably had more random high weeks due to the other game. Then my consistency went into the crapper in November and December (plus I think there were a few weeks where I didn't have everything in my log unitl Monday to hide it from the other game).

Cyberic

I can send the spreadsheet as is, or I can fix it dor 2022, but for that I need the players' names. Last year I didn't ask, just took regulars who had at least 3 years of log data.

That is the shitty part about it being a spreadsheet and not being a proper computer program with a database: the relation between tabs is by Row/column number and not by name, so once the player's names have been laid out, and another tab gets its numbers from that row or column, it's kinda fixed after that. Note that I'm a very casual spreadsheet user.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I can send the spreadsheet as is, or I can fix it dor 2022, but for that I need the players' names. Last year I didn't ask, just took regulars who had at least 3 years of log data.

That is the shitty part about it being a spreadsheet and not being a proper computer program with a database: the relation between tabs is by Row/column number and not by name, so once the player's names have been laid out, and another tab gets its numbers from that row or column, it's kinda fixed after that. Note that I'm a very casual spreadsheet user.

I can take the spreadsheet as-is.  Shall I PM you my email address?

Cyberic

I can take the spreadsheet as-is.  Shall I PM you my email address?

Sure. I can also PM you a link to download it without knowing your email address

DavePNW

That is the shitty part about it being a spreadsheet and not being a proper computer program with a database

Off-topic, but for the math geeks out there: I just read a fun book called Humble Pi: When Math Goes Wrong in the Real World. Just like it sounds, it’s about some disastrous real-life consequences that arose from various types of bad math. One section discusses the fact that Microsoft Excel is too often used in situations where a proper database is more appropriate. In large part the issues are that Excel makes assumptions about what kind of data you are entering—e.g. a number, a date, or text—which may not be what you intended. I think we’ve all had that happen.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Sure. I can also PM you a link to download it without knowing your email address

I sent you a PM with my email address.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Off-topic, but for the math geeks out there: I just read a fun book called Humble Pi: When Math Goes Wrong in the Real World. Just like it sounds, it’s about some disastrous real-life consequences that arose from various types of bad math. One section discusses the fact that Microsoft Excel is too often used in situations where a proper database is more appropriate. In large part the issues are that Excel makes assumptions about what kind of data you are entering—e.g. a number, a date, or text—which may not be what you intended. I think we’ve all had that happen.

Excel also assumes you understand order of operations when you set up formulas.

There are definitely times I use Excel that would be more appropriate for a database. Too bad I suck at setting those up.