Beginners and Beyond

Snowy WednesDAILIES (Read 22 times)

I remember hating those Hansons “strength intervals,” because they were always harder than I thought they should be.

Dave

onemile

9 miles with 6x1000m. My workouts have been mostly pretty rough since re-starting a month or so ago, but today I finally felt a bit of a breakthrough. I hadn't been able to get any pace less than 6:45 or so, at best, and sometimes only that in the later reps. Today felt smoother than it's been; the rep paces: 6:43, 6:44, 6:39, 6:34, 6:33, and the final one crushed at 6:19. Booyah!

Nice!

onemile

I remember hating those Hansons “strength intervals,” because they were always harder than I thought they should be.

I believe he is doing a Hansons HM plan where you run faster than HMP (I think the marathon plan has it between MP and HMP?)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Yup, I know what you mean, especially as they come on the last day of six days of running, before the rest day. 

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I believe he is doing a Hansons HM plan where you run faster than HMP (I think the marathon plan has it between MP and HMP?)

In both the FM and HM, the "strength" work is supposed to be about 10 seconds per mile faster than goal pace, so you're essentially correct that the work is done at a slower pace when training for a marathon.

Yup, I know what you mean, especially as they come on the last day of six days of running, before the rest day. 

When I was doing both Hansons & Pfitz, I could not IMAGINE skipping my weekly rest day. 

And I’ve never seen a Hansons HM plan, so I didn’t think about how that workout would change.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

When I was doing both Hansons & Pfitz, I could not IMAGINE skipping my weekly rest day. 

And I’ve never seen a Hansons HM plan, so I didn’t think about how that workout would change.

I've done both plans.  There are a lot of similarities, though the FM plan has more miles overall (of course).  These workouts are one of the big differences.  It's a lot harder doing these 10 seconds faster than HM pace than it was doing them 10 seconds faster than FM pace.

I agree - skipping the rest day just doesn't feel like an option.  A few weeks ago, I had to move my rest day for the blizzard and wound up running the plan 8 days in a row - that was tough.

(To be honest, I think the HM plan was something they threw together to publish quickly so as to take advantage of the popularity of the FM plan.  That said, I can't complain as I've had a lot of success with the HM plan.)

I agree - skipping the rest day just doesn't feel like an option.  A few weeks ago, I had to move my rest day for the blizzard and wound up running the plan 8 days in a row - that was tough.

Well I say it as a point of nostalgia (as others here certainly recognized), because as of a few years ago I virtually never take rest days. And I don’t miss them. Before then, it would have been unthinkable.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Well I say it as a point of nostalgia (as others here certainly recognized), because as of a few years ago I virtually never take rest days. And I don’t miss them. Before then, it would have been unthinkable.

Understood.  Perhaps some day I'll graduate to your level.    For now, I'm continuing to see improvement where I am.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh, I had to pack all my shit after my deposition in the office today as we are moving in the Summer and I thought that for 5 months I wouldn't have as much shit as before, but nope. I am finally done after 3 hours of packing and taking them to my car.

IN just released 50+ for vaccination. I am this close and next!

Damaris

Understood.  Perhaps some day I'll graduate to your level.  

It’s not a graduation, there isn’t anything necessarily inherently better about it. For me it was just an evolution and matter of personal preference. I get plenty of shit here for not taking enough days off. 

Dave

onemile

It’s not a graduation, there isn’t anything necessarily inherently better about it. For me it was just an evolution and matter of personal preference. I get plenty of shit here for not taking enough days off. 

there's nothing wrong with not taking days off... it's the obsession with not breaking your streak. But you seem to have broken out of it a little 

delicate flower

I just had my first hard workout in months.  5 x 4:00 hard/3:00 easy.  I averaged a 6:23 pace on the intervals.  A good starting point for building some speed.  6.71 miles/6:43 avg pace for the run.  My lungs were burning...not used to that.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

OK, I'll just settle for being less evolved for now.  Seriously, though, I get it.  When I started 7 years ago I was taking 2 (or 3) rest days per week.  Things change.  People change.

OK, I'll just settle for being less evolved for now.  Seriously, though, I get it.  When I started 7 years ago I was taking 2 (or 3) rest days per week.  Things change.  People change.

For my first couple years of running, I ran 3 days/week like clockwork. Including up to my first marathon. You can probably guess how that went. 

Dave