Beginners and Beyond

Seriously Sundailies (Read 33 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Not all shoes are the same, not even the support shoes. Some are for lighter or bigger pronators and probably the Ravennas are not the type you need

My feet, legs have been feeling great in the Ravennas. But I'm noticing that my feet are more annoyed in other shoes now, especially the Asics GT 2000s.

It's like once you find the perfect shoes, all others begin to fit horribly.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

No more marathons

10 miles, 8:01 pace.

I have two weeks until my HM and I am sick of training. 

I know the feeling - and that's why I'm rarely able to follow any training plan for long - always seem to be adjusting it in one way or another.

11.7 today, another 24 month high single run.  If I hadn't signed up for a HM at the end of the month my long runs would top out at 8.

And speaking of that, while I know that running 11 or 12 miles isn't going to hurt in training for 5ks, is it really going to help much.  And by that I mean much more than 8 mile long runs?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

DavePNW

20 miles. Went really, really well. Avg pace of 8:30; turns out this was my fastest 20+miler ever, by 10 sec/mi. (And #2-3 were also this cycle.) First 6 miles kind of meh, then a pretty steady ~8:30 for 7-15, then went progressively faster after that. Mile 19 at GMP, mile 20 at HMP.

66 for the week.

Kind of over the hump now, Pfitz has a 3-week taper. Although next week will still include a 12-mile MLR, 17-mile LR, and total 52 miles. And oh yeah, as soon as I post this I'm gonna sign up for a 5k on Saturday. Nice relaxing taper.

Dave

LRB

And speaking of that, while I know that running 11 or 12 miles isn't going to hurt in training for 5ks, is it really going to help much.  And by that I mean much more than 8 mile long runs?

I don't think there is a one size fits all answer to this. It depends on personal preference to a degree, how well one recovers, and where you are in your training.

65 to 80 minutes is all I have the tolerance for when training for 5ks. That puts me in the 8 to 10 mile range and suits me just fine, where others want/need to go further. Having said that there are times I will run up to 90 minutes, it just depends.

So I didn't really answer your question. lol

DavePNW

I'm no expert, but many would say yes. Some say that training from 5k to 50k is pretty much the same, until you get to 4-6 weeks before the race and start honing the skills more specific to that distance. This is a good read, from Jeff who posts on the forums.

Dave

Ric-G

got up this morning and did not feel like running anything at all...but i didn't think about it or talk myself out of it...just went out and did 5.5 miles which is better than overthinking. glad it's done. now some yard work later and pizza later too...saw the original "ted" last nite from redbox - nice, gross humor...i heard some people thought it was a kid's movie with a cute teddy bear...

lrb - ugh, that is one reason it's easier to just go it alone although running with others can be ok. but waiting in the cold would be awful. thats why its just easier to walk out the front door and go.

dave - great pace on the 20.

marathon pr - 3:16

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

20 with12 @ 9:31mm done.

Damaris

DavePNW

Where's that gold star lady? 

Dave

No more marathons

Dave and LRB - yeah, see I knew that - since my PhatOldMan PR's in the 5K and 10K came at the end of (5K) or during (10K) marathon training.  But I was hoping someone would say "nah, 8 miles is plenty for 5K training".

I really don't like running, and I hate running long.

Thanks guys.

And LRB - agree - 65 to 80 is about the limit of a good run and drudgery.

MTA:  Dave - thanks for the link.

He's a leaker!

DavePNW

Dave and LRB - yeah, see I knew that - since my PhatOldMan PR's in the 5K and 10K came at the end of (5K) or during (10K) marathon training.  But I was hoping someone would say "nah, 8 miles is plenty for 5K training".

I really don't like running, and I hate running long.

Thanks guys.

And LRB - agree - 65 to 80 is about the limit of a good run and drudgery.

Um, then why do you do it? 

And I agree with the last line only if you are talking about miles per week. 

Dave

LRB

lrb - ugh, that is one reason it's easier to just go it alone although running with others can be ok. but waiting in the cold would be awful. thats why its just easier to walk out the front door and go.

That's option # 1, 100% percent of the time (provided the sidewalks are clear of snow). Today though, I wanted to give my twigs a break from the concrete and asphalt jungle, and run on dirt for a change.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the running surface really makes, but if nothing else, it was nice to run on the trail for the first time since last fall.

Zelanie

Celebration may have been premature. I woke up super sore today. Not my shin, but everything else. I thought it might loosen up if I ran, but after 0.1 mile of hobbling it just didn't seem like a good idea to run any more.

I have an alter G run tomorrow, but it might just be that I'm not in "8 weeks away from a marathon" shape right now.

The 4 mile post run dog walk yesterday was also probably not a good idea. I don't even think I will pool run today. Just stretch and rest up for tomorrow.

No more marathons

Um, then why do you do it? 

And I agree with the last line only if you are talking about miles per week. 

Yeah, I get that often.

1.  It fits my current schedule ( I mostly run at lunch time at work)

2.  It is the best exercise I can do in that time

3.  I'm reasonably good at it (at least for an Old Phart)

4.  It forces me away from my desk for an hour in the middle of the day

5.  I can multitask (I listen to books on tape while running).

My sport of choice would be tennis or racquetball - just don't have time with my current work schedule.

And I want to get top 5 at National senior games in 2017.  After that I'll probably (maybe) stop.

He's a leaker!

workinprogress11

20 miles. Went really, really well. Avg pace of 8:30; turns out this was my fastest 20+miler ever, by 10 sec/mi. (And #2-3 were also this cycle.) First 6 miles kind of meh, then a pretty steady ~8:30 for 7-15, then went progressively faster after that. Mile 19 at GMP, mile 20 at HMP.

66 for the week.

Kind of over the hump now, Pfitz has a 3-week taper. Although next week will still include a 12-mile MLR, 17-mile LR, and total 52 miles. And oh yeah, as soon as I post this I'm gonna sign up for a 5k on Saturday. Nice relaxing taper.

Sweet!

workinprogress11

Also sweet!