Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES: It's time to get this train moving (Read 36 times)

Runshortii

I ran 15. It was 75 and full sun and I felt like hot garbage. Legs felt fine, I think the sun just zapped me. And I have an annoying blister on my pinky toe

LRB

As DC movies go, The Dark Knight series, The Man of Steel, B v S, Suicide Squad; were all dark, much to the chagrin of critics. Yet they have a following because of it (albeit not mainstream, apparently). Wonder Woman was heart wrenching at its climax and left an indelible mark. I didn't really care for The Justice League but Aquaman with Nicole Kidman starring as a BAMF more than made up for that.

It is curious how Heath Ledger's Joker was critically acclaimed, yet his character was one of the most diabolical in the history of cinema. But no one was complaining about DC movies being too dark then. Why the change? Marvel, of course.

I do not judge these franchises against one another because to me, they are two different entities entirely. Alas, it seems that movie critics cannot help but to hold DC to Marvel's standard, which is inherently flawed in my opinion.

Anyway, Shazam! as an origin story is nicely done. They completely went away from what DC is known for, in an attempt to attract the Marvel audience/adulation I suppose. How they played the family versus the adopted family angle was really good, especially when it all came together. The villain upstaged the hero in my opinion, but I think that was just due to the innocence they were trying to display in the lead character(s). In the end though, I felt as if I was watching the Power Rangers or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Which is not a knock on either franchise, it's just not what I want or expect from DC. YMMV

LRB

Shazam! is a fun movie, and because of that I like it best out of all the DC movies I've seen.  I like it better than Wonder Woman because the latter takes itself more seriously.  Don't let all the "light fun" comments fool you though...Shazam! is every bit a superhero movie.  It kind of reminds me of The Greatest American Hero show because he gets his powers rather suddenly and has no idea how to use them or what he can even do.

That is an accurate analogy.

LRB

I ran 15. It was 75 and full sun and I felt like hot garbage. Legs felt fine, I think the sun just zapped me. And I have an annoying blister on my pinky toe

Damn. I managed to miss the heat and the blisters/chafing that usually accompanies it. Hopefully I am as lucky next weekend.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

As DC movies go, The Dark Knight series, The Man of Steel, B v S, Suicide Squad; were all dark, much to the chagrin of critics. Yet they have a following because of it (albeit not mainstream, apparently). Wonder Woman was heart wrenching at its climax and left an indelible mark. I didn't really care for The Justice League but Aquaman with Nicole Kidman starring as a BAMF more than made up for that.

It is curious how Heath Ledger's Joker was critically acclaimed, yet his character was one of the most diabolical in the history of cinema. But no one was complaining about DC movies being too dark then. Why the change? Marvel, of course.

I do not judge these franchises against one another because to me, they are two different entities entirely. Alas, it seems that movie critics cannot help but to hold DC to Marvel's standard, which is inherently flawed in my opinion.

Anyway, Shazam! as an origin story is nicely done. They completely went away from what DC is known for, in an attempt to attract the Marvel audience/adulation I suppose. How they played the family versus the adopted family angle was really good, especially when it all came together. The villain upstaged the hero in my opinion, but I think that was just due to the innocence they were trying to display in the lead character(s). In the end though, I felt as if I was watching the Power Rangers or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Which is not a knock on either franchise, it's just not what I want or expect from DC. YMMV

This.  And they are entertaining in their own way.  No need to compare them.  We can watch them all and I consider ourselves lucky to live at a time where all the CGI is making the best of all we read and watched while young, from Transformers to DC, Marvel and even SW.  It's an amazing time at the movies.

10 miles done. I'm done with training.

Damaris

RunningOnSand

Ugh, solidarity (well, from yesterday). The heat!!!!

Maybe someday I'll increase to running 6 days a week. I do not know if I'll ever get to 7 days per week of running. seems like a monstrous leap to me.

I have not seen Shazam! yet, but we did (finally) see Captain Marvel yesterday. Fun stuff. I also purchased tickets for us (and my 3 nephews) to see EndGame next Saturday. ICANNOTWAIT.

EndGame next Saturday. ICANNOTWAIT.

+1000. We just re-watched Infinity War in preparation.

Dave

RunningOnSand

RunningOnSand

Oh and PS I just saw Infinity War for the first time on Friday. Holy shit!!! 

Cyberic

My 19 yo nephew was here for easter supper. He told me he started running. He's not rich (student), and he has big feet, so I brought him downstairs and he picked 3 pairs of shoes I don't run in. He couldn't believe all the shoes I have, and couldn't believe I was giving him 3 pairs, lol. 2 pairs of NBs, that I used but my feet don't like anymore, and a pair of Nikes I wore only once for like 4 miles, and hated.

Maybe someday I'll increase to running 6 days a week. I do not know if I'll ever get to 7 days per week of running. seems like a monstrous leap to me.

You can train for a marathon on 5 days. You can do it better on 6. For a long time I insisted I would never go to 7 days because my rest day was sacred. But there you go.

Dave

Runshortii

You can train for a marathon on 5 days. You can do it better on 6. For a long time I insisted I would never go to 7 days because my rest day was sacred. But there you go.

I almost like marathon training on 6 more than 5 simply because not every run has to be so long to up the mileage.

i used to always want a rest day after a LR or hard workout, but the last few times I have I’ve felt worse for a few days after than if I had just done an easy recovery run

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am off on Friday and we are heading there at 11am to see it.  We never buy the tickets before the movie, but normally there are not that many people that early watching anything.

Damaris

I am off on Friday and we are heading there at 11am to see it.

That’s awesome. I feel like taking Friday off to do this.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

To me, this is a it totally depends how your body reacts thing. I did 6 or 7 days for about a year and a half. Usually the 6th and 7th day were 3 miles. My body sent me all sorts of signals that it absolutely did not approve of this and I ignored them. It wasn't until I dropped to 5 that I realized all the issues were related to the number of days I was running. And to top it off, I was no faster, actually got slower, on 6 days versus fewer.