Beginners and Beyond

99 problems but SUNDAILIES ain't one (Read 40 times)

Beth, brava on the 11.25.

Ric-G, bravo on the 8K. That food sounds all kinds of yummy.

Lily, terrific 20.5. Soup sounds delicious.

OK. I picked up nine packets of Gu for race day. On my way home to shower, foam roll, and stretch.

Just B.S.

Well ok, but I'm still slow. I just do 3 sports, slowly Smile but always have fun.

Lame? You still have 90 minutes to do! You do three day's worth of training within a day, again and again.  Don't ever say the word lame when talking about yourself!

outoftheblue

10K done, coming in with an unofficial time of 54:30.  It's a PR, and the race ended better than I had expected, but I had a rough go of it today.

For starters, there was a road closure on the way there, which made me get to the race 20 minutes later than planned.  So, my only warm-up was running the third of a mile or so from my car to the check in area, arriving just in time to use the bathroom, grab my bib and run to the start.   The course was really congested with the long stretches being on a gravel and sand walking path shared by bikers, strollers, dog walkers and tons of walkers/runners that were not part of the race.   There were also 2 stop lights to navigate (slow-down and jay walk in my case).  So lots of slow down, speed up, step aside.

But the bigger issue were just how dead and unresponsive my legs felt today.  When I tried to pick up the pace after the first half a mile, I just could not.  At mile 2, I already felt gassed.  I almost called it quits and  pulled off the course, but then decided this would be a good time to practice some perseverance and mental discipline.  By the time I came to the hills at mile 3 I had made peace with myself and was chugging along as best I could.  At that point, I honestly wasn't expecting any PR at all, and wasn't on pace for one.  But, after the hills were over I started to feel a little bit better.  My legs were more fully warmed up and I was able to pick up the pace and finish the race strong-ish.

So, I learned a few things today:

1-- Don't quit.

2-- I'm a slow starter and need to build in proper warm-up time.

3-- My training plan is probably a wee bit aggressive.  My legs were screaming for a recovery day and instead, I took them racing.  I'm going to ease up just a bit going into these last 4 weeks before my HM.

Life is good.

happylily

Wow, congratulations, outoftheblue! You PRed on a tough course (hills in a 10k should NOT be permitted), with no taper, and on a day when you didn't feel 100% strong. That is a great sign that your training is working well! I'm very happy for you. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

outoftheblue

Thanks Lily.  Your words really made me feel better.  You seem to have a knack for it!  

Life is good.

happylily

Thanks Lily.  Your words really made me feel better.  You seem to have a knack for it!  

I wish we had the hugging emoticon here. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

10K done, coming in with an unofficial time of 54:30.  It's a PR, and the race ended better than I had expected, but I had a rough go of it today.

For starters, there was a road closure on the way there, which made me get to the race 20 minutes later than planned.  So, my only warm-up was running the third of a mile or so from my car to the check in area, arriving just in time to use the bathroom, grab my bib and run to the start.   The course was really congested with the long stretches being on a gravel and sand walking path shared by bikers, strollers, dog walkers and tons of walkers/running that were not part of the race.   There were also 2 stop lights to navigate (slow-down and jay walk in my case).  So lots of slow down, speed up, step aside.

But the bigger issue were just how dead and unresponsive my legs felt today.  When I tried to pick up the pace after the first half a mile, I just could not.  At mile 2, I already felt gassed.  I almost called it quits and  pulled off the course, but then decided this would be a good time to practice some perseverance and mental discipline.  By the time I came to the hills at mile 3 I was made peace with myself and was chugging along as best I good.  At that point, I honestly wasn't expecting any PR at all, and wasn't on pace for one.  But, after the hills were over I started to feel a little bit better.  My legs were more fully warmed up and I was able to pick up the pace and finish the race strong-ish.

So, I learned a few things today:

1-- Don't quit.

2-- I'm a slow starter and need to build in proper warm-up time.

3-- My training plan is probably a wee bit aggressive.  My legs were screaming for a recovery day and instead, I took them racing.  I'm going to ease up just a bit going into these last 4 weeks before my HM.

Congrats on a tough a day!

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

6 miles.... 51 degrees "feels like" 57....gorgeous!!!! Hard to believe winter will return tomorrow with a high of 33 and snow predicted Tuesday and Wednesday. Also....no walk breaks....just one for about 30 seconds where there was still a huge pile of ice and slush about 15 feet long that hadn't melted, but I hardly count that.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh and about to go visit my cousin's wife in her rehab facility. She "met" he daughter yesterday and said, "Oh she's so big! I remember her much smaller!" aka she remembered her!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

Oh and about to go visit my cousin's wife in her rehab facility. She "met" he daughter yesterday and said, "Oh she's so big! I remember her much smaller!" aka she remembered her!

That is great news, Kristin! Yeah! Hopefully this means that she will get back all of her memories in the coming weeks/months. I hope so!

Just B.S.

Blue congrats on a great race! IMO the sweetest PRs are the ones we really work for.

StepbyStep-SH

OOTB - Congrats on the PR under tough circumstances!

Kristin - Great news!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

outoftheblue

Kristin -- so glad to hear that your sister is remembering things! That's great.

I must have been tired, i just re-read my post on my race and there were a million typos.   Brain is not connecting with legs or hands today, I guess.

Life is good.

Ric-G - great job on the race and the smorgasbord of yum.

Lily - nice 20, enjoy your bath and soup.

Beth - slowly? no way.

OOTB - great job, congrats on the unexpected PR!

Kristin - good news

"Chilly Challenge 5K"

35 and sunny was better weather than expected, so I ventured shorts with a long-sleeve tech tee under a singlet.  I felt very good aerobically all race and kept a relaxed upper body, but my legs never got as loose as desired.

Today's course was quite fast, a simple square on flat city streets with the exception of noticeable uphill over the last .25 or so.  Add a decent headwind there, and the gap to my closest competitor wasn't kickable.  He was a very strong masters runner, and I felt a bit bad about throwing him the dismissive "you lined up wrong" no-touch elbow as the lead pack initially sorted out (and then losing to him), lol.

17:34 was good for 4th, and the clique of sorts that I've been hanging out with had a strong showing:  2,4,5,7 men and OA female winner.

Racing is even less serious than normal when it's against friends.  Three consecutive AG chili bowls and an optimistic start to the season. Smile

outoftheblue

Nice racing Jay.  You are definitely running with a fast crowd.

Life is good.