Beginners and Beyond

Integrity vs. Outcome Goals (Read 127 times)

happylily

Are you  guys making fun of me Sad ( insert foot stamping)

Only if you start wearing a huge scarf around your neck, like coach Stevo. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

Only if you start wearing a huge scarf around your neck, like coach Stevo. 

I make scarves does that count? Smile

Just B.S.

This is why I look up to you so much. We are very similar and you are the best cheerleader and set an awesome example to others.

Thanks Hil means a lot to me Smile

happylily

I make scarves does that count? Smile

Jeeze, you make it hard for me. First the scrapbooking, then the handmade Christmas ornaments,  now there's knitting scarves... You're trying to make feel inadequate, is that it? Okay, okay... I bow to your superiority... There, happy? 

Just B.S.

Jeeze, you make it hard for me. First the scrapbooking, then the handmade Christmas ornaments,  now there's knitting scarves... You're trying to make feel inadequate, is that it? Okay, okay... I bow to your superiority... There, happy? 

Knittting AND crochet. If you were my fb friend you could see all my awesome creationsSmile

Now I am happy but you are still faster than I will be in my dreams and let's not mention the abs. .

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, those abs!  I used to crochet, but now that my grandmother died, I feel I don't want to crochet anymore.

I am also not your FB friend so I have not seen your  projects!  Just saying!

Damaris

RSX

Beth is very talented!! She is FB friends with both my wife and I. Lily is too snobby for FB (just kidding)

happylily

Beth is very talented!! She is FB friends with both my wife and I. Lily is too snobby for FB (just kidding)

I know you. You're not kidding.  Part of me is snobby about Facebook, yes (the whole populace does Facebook, ewww). And part of the reason why I don't do Facebook is because I'm too stupid to understand the concept. I'm a dinosaur.

Beth and Damaris, abs are completely useless and overrated. They don't make us run faster and give us a false sense of fitness. I see abs in the mirror, then I think fudge, mmmm... then I run with a full stomach and feel sick for hours after. I'm an idiot. Maybe I need a session with Stevo after all. :-)

Will run for scenery.

Kinda late to the party, but I found nothing at all in the OP that rang true for me.  When I sign up for a race (marathon, or other) I do it precisely b/c I want to run that race.  If I sign up for a race and don't enjoy it - enjoy it while it's happening - then for me it was a mistake.  Time to re-evaluate things : goals, training, stategy.

As for being "the kind of person who runs a marathon", I don't think about it much.  I don't mind at all when friends/family/strangers say nice things, but that's about 0% of what gets me out the door.

And "wanting to be the kind of person who has a six pack" : WTF ?  Does anybody even have a clue what that's about ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Hip Redux

And "wanting to be the kind of person who has a six pack" : WTF ?  Does anybody even have a clue what that's about ?

I am guessing someone who has a six pack would be someone who exercises regularly and eats well.   Or at least, that's the idea behind wanting to be that "kind of person" - someone disciplined, making good choices, etc.

DavePNW

IDK, but I don't want to be the kind of person that has a six-pack. Because in fact the typical image is that of a self-obsessed, shallow, douchey guy. (Sorry, no offense to anyone here - especially Lily - who may have them; just stereotyping!) Also to be the kind of person that has them, I'd have to do a lot more ab work, which sucks. I would just like to have them because they look awesome.

Dave

Hip Redux

IDK, but I don't want to be the kind of person that has a six-pack. Because in fact the typical image is that of a self-obsessed, shallow, douchey guy. (Sorry, no offense to anyone here - especially Lily - who may have them; just stereotyping!) Also to be the kind of person that has them, I'd have to do a lot more ab work, which sucks. I would just like to have them because they look awesome.

But for the ladies, no douchery involved!

happylily

I agree 100%. Although my SO has some awesome abs and he is the most humble, down to earth, kind person you'll ever meet. He was traumatized (slight exaggeration here) as a teenager because of his very skinny, rail-like body shape and he started lifting in his 20s to try to change this. He did a great job and I'm proud of him, though I would still find him attractive if he were back to his former very skinny self. But when he talks about the guys he sees at the gym, those who lift like him, he laughs. Many vain people there. As for me, I'm just a skinny mean old woman. The abs are there only as a result of never having had to lose weight, and years of exercising (not necessarily ab work). The truth is: get thin enough and abs will appear. We all have them.

LRB

On the subject of abs, anyone I know who has them (4 people come to mind) always had them.  Two of them in particular drink more beer and eat more BS than a college freshman, and are as ripped as ever.

I do not know a single person who worked out and achieved visible abs, which is not to say it does not happen, just that I have not come across that person(s).

And no, for all my blood, sweat and tears toiling in the gym the past 15 years and doing all kinds of dieting, I do not have them either.  I am okay with that though because I have everything else. 

happylily

Actually, what makes us attracted to certain physical features? Some kind of animal instinct? Why do women like broad shoulders and abs on men and men like big breasts and prominent butts on women? When it comes to facial features, we are all unique in our tastes, but when it comes to bodies, we all gravitate around those characteristics. Weird...