Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 29 La Llorona "Weeping Woman" 8-mile Relay (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.   Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20number%2029%20La%20Lllorona%20Relay

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 29th race of 2019 was La Llorona Relay at LBJ park in San Antonio on May 11, with a star time of 6 pm.   This was my second event of the day after doing a morning 5K.  La Llorona is the ‘weeping woman’ ghost of San Antonio.  You can read about the legend here:  https://texashillcountry.com/la-llorona-weeping-woman/  .  The relay consisted of teams of 4 people, each doing a leg of 2 miles.  This was the first year for the La Llorona being a relay; in the past it has been a 5K and a 5-mile event.  When I arrived, one of my team-mates had already picked up our packets and bib numbers, so that was convenient.  Got myself pinned up with our team number and also got the baton since I was the first leg for our team.  Then wandered around getting some photos.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_6286_zpsfa5bw1qh.jpg

photo IMG_6293_zpsbhmzmpmi.jpg

photo IMG_6288_zpscixh9ilz.jpg

Our MC, who is also a VP with Kiolbassa Sausage

photo IMG_6289_zpskou1hjdw.jpg

When I got to the parking area, 2 of my teammates were in their car waiting..."spookily' waiting, lol

photo IMG_6280_zpsxzjt3jtf.jpg

My 3 team-mates.  Yet, it was 3 ladies and me.  Go figure... 

photo IMG_6290_zpsyjhkbwbg.jpg

Our music man

photo IMG_6292_zpsfxflhn7c.jpg

Participants, volunteers, supporters, etc

photo IMG_6281_zpspubshph0.jpg

photo IMG_6282_zpsee76mdrz.jpg

photo IMG_6283_zpsjm5gdukk.jpg

photo IMG_6284_zpszcxixsza.jpg

photo IMG_6285_zpsxq61xaev.jpg

photo IMG_6294_zpstemvdvrd.jpg

photo IMG_6296_zpsduxoksmh.jpg

photo IMG_6298_zps0vgippeq.jpg

photo IMG_6295_zpswg5qxhoy.jpg

photo IMG_6299_zpsxerd1qjv.jpg

photo IMG_6300_zpsgpnjmqgp.jpg

photo IMG_6301_zpsup9wilrl.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Concrete off-road paved trails in this park.  I have done several 5Ks in this park so knew about where the 1-mile turn-round point would be. Carried my camera and the race baton, and took one walk break – stupid arthritis won’t let me run non-stop – and got some photos, and then ran nonstop to the end of my leg.  I think I was the slowest team member, averaging 11:09 miles, with a time for my leg of 22:19.  Our fastest team member, Krista, averaged 9-something minute miles; she was the last leg of our team.

photo IMG_6302_zpsrgfua8un.jpg

photo IMG_6303_zpsgwxpoaoa.jpg

photo IMG_6304_zpsrqanu7b9.jpg

photo IMG_6305_zpsgu2v6dvr.jpg

photo IMG_6306_zps4d5i4elh.jpg

photo IMG_6307_zpsswhd7zbe.jpg

photo IMG_6308_zpsvkhotozf.jpg

Had lots of rain Friday night and Saturday morning, but dried out by Saturday evening, leaving this mess near the bridge we crossed over.  Standing water and mud = bugs.  Glad I put my Avon-so-Soft non-toxic bug repellent on before I started.

photo IMG_6309_zpsw8bzpw37.jpg

photo IMG_6310_zpskh2xlbyi.jpg

photo IMG_6311_zps74dvdbvv.jpg

photo IMG_6312_zpsuuwykffi.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

I wandered around getting photos of people coming into the finish, volunteers, other finishers, and participants waiting to do their legs.  Nice little after-party going on too, with Kiolbassa sausage wraps, beer, music playing, various fruits and other stuff, water, soda, etc.  There was also a costume contest;  lots of people dress up for this one.  Our team did not win anything but we sure had a lot of fun.

photo IMG_6313_zpsezk6pyry.jpg

photo IMG_6314_zpsqk1yzc4k.jpg

photo IMG_6315_zpstk8cahtf.jpg

photo IMG_6316_zpszt45h8gz.jpg

photo IMG_6317_zpsg2wwf9me.jpg

photo IMG_6318_zpsa8ewvypq.jpg

photo IMG_6319_zpsqjvn3izc.jpg

Race Director Cecilia of iaap; official photographer and Number 1 La Llorona for the event...here 'relaxing' at the finish line area, waiting for get photos of finishers coming in

photo IMG_6320_zpsw3jbpc6o.jpg

I think she just gave me the La Llorona curse look, lol.

photo IMG_6321_zpsfar1vtkt.jpg

Thanks, iaap guys, for timing, course setup, results, etc

photo IMG_6322_zpsqp6igdij.jpg

Important volunteers...handing out the sausage wraps

photo IMG_6323_zpsjoyhh0xj.jpg

This guy had not intended to run but when he got here to cheer, a team was one person short and he got drafted...and he ran in those shorts and his non-running shoes...and still did like 8-or 9-something minute miles, good grief.

photo IMG_6324_zpsntrz24w8.jpg

photo IMG_6325_zpspbme2cr0.jpg

Found the beer and sausage!

photo IMG_6326_zpsmzg1me0d.jpg

Team members coming in

photo IMG_6328_zps9doce3or.jpg

photo IMG_6329_zpskbiubsmp.jpg

photo IMG_6330_zpswleegh1v.jpg

Friend Sally coming in, her teammate Bob waiting to take the baton

photo IMG_6331_zpshicdfahg.jpg

photo IMG_6332_zpsgnwlsgl4.jpg

photo IMG_6333_zpsqk3a3dmc.jpg

photo IMG_6334_zpsd36wcnfu.jpg

Teammate Krista finishing our final leg...she did great.

photo IMG_6335_zpsn4wwg3a0.jpg

Team Dogg Handlers, happy finishers

photo IMG_6336_zps4qsk2x9w.jpg

photo IMG_6337_zps6wsquund.jpg

Bob bringing it in for the last leg of his team

photo IMG_6338_zpsnqko29tx.jpg

photo IMG_6345_zps7pzgkefp.jpg

photo IMG_6339_zpsewpyqjr9.jpg

I'm surrounded!

photo IMG_6342_zps7g33vbo1.jpg

Ceci and our MC Anthony

photo IMG_6344_zpssxexyneq.jpg

EPILOGUE

Before the start I heard a lot of chat about people not too sure of making this event a relay since it was traditionally a 5K for individuals, and quite a popular event – including me, I was a bit skeptical but  decided what the heck, just have fun with it.  The turnout was probably lower this year than it usually is for the ‘traditional’ 5K distance, but after the race, the majority of the chat was quite positive, with lots of people saying they had surprised themselves at how much they had enjoyed this event as a relay. I don’t know if it can replace the traditional event as individual runners and walkers, but it was well thought-out, well organized, and as said, very enjoyable. I think with ‘word-of-mouth’ getting around to our other community runners, this one might have a better turnout in the future, if iaap does it as a relay again.   I would do it again and would recommend it.  Nice course, nice post-race goodies, nice quality race tee – iaap always puts on quality events.

Mucho thanks to all the people that made this one happen for we participants: volunteers, sponsors, vendors, organizers, police officers that were out there for us, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thanks for what you do!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like fun, especially for those who dressed for the occasion.