Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 48 SA Summer Series 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252048%2520SA%2520Summer%2520Series%25205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE THE START

My 48th 5K of 2019 was the SA 5K Summer Series.  This series of 4 summer 5Ks benefits SA Youth, helping young people achieve academic success, develop their character, and promote healthy lifestyles.  The 5K today was the last one for this season’s series.  Event location was McAllister Park in San Antonio.  E-Dragon Productions, owned by the local Burciaga family of runners, organize these events, with local race management company iaap doing the timing and results.

I arrived with about 40 minutes to go to the start time and did my usual pre-start photo thing.

Start/Finish Line before all the activity begins

photo IMG_1136_zpsynmfd6ka.jpg

Our MC Lana

photo IMG_1141_zps959ubzdn.jpg

Various

photo IMG_1137_zpsdlerftwi.jpg

photo IMG_1138_zps2ljplfkq.jpg

photo IMG_1139_zps1fuhqeja.jpg

photo IMG_1140_zps5veapwva.jpg

photo IMG_1142_zpsmhvlvok0.jpg

photo IMG_1143_zps00inhj1b.jpg

photo IMG_1144_zpsyjhv1jca.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo IMG_1145_zpsxsuer7bo.jpg

photo IMG_1146_zpsrecs04dd.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Start time of 7:30 a.m., a nice early start which is nice for a warm July day; and this morning it was warm.  Our unusual cooler-than-usual July week ended this morning with high morning humidity and dewpoint moving back in and the temp already hitting the mid-70s by start time.  The course was nicely laid out over several of the paved trails in the park.  I ended up with 3.3 miles, mainly because during my walk breaks, I went back a little on the course at various spots to get a couple of photos and then had to go back in the other direction on the course. I was also very sluggish – I ate my oatmeal too late before the start time and boy, could I feel that in my stomach as I ran, since that stuff takes a while to digest – and I ended up with 3.3 miles in  a slow 38:46.  This was a fairly smaller race in number of participants so that still got me 2nd in my 60 – 69 age group.

photo IMG_1148_zpsilyljj1a.jpg

photo IMG_1151_zpskm3mm9rj.jpg

photo IMG_1153_zpsw79vslv7.jpg

photo IMG_1154_zpsmggetzbw.jpg

photo IMG_1155_zps5hprtzsn.jpg

photo IMG_1156_zpsilgdgmoi.jpg

photo IMG_1158_zpsetbwboc7.jpg

photo IMG_1159_zpsddiayhrn.jpg

photo IMG_1160_zps5vxubt3r.jpg

photo IMG_1161_zpspznkdtsr.jpg

photo IMG_1162_zpsazermlqp.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

First thing I did was get some water and a nice ice-watered down towel volunteers were handing at the finish, and then I went and sat in my car for about 10 minutes with the a/c blowing…that felt good and cooled me down nicely. Then it was off to get a few post-finish photos.

photo IMG_1164_zps3f7zy81a.jpg

photo IMG_1165_zpsf0giypui.jpg

photo IMG_1166_zpsivsu1ubz.jpg

photo IMG_1167_zps8oabypus.jpg

photo IMG_1168_zpskrsexq9x.jpg

photo IMG_1169_zps4sxmsf4d.jpg

photo IMG_1171_zpsn8rhtjgy.jpg

photo IMG_1172_zps4zeqoq50.jpg

photo IMG_1174_zpshxjvujgh.jpg

photo IMG_1176_zpsqti5tqiu.jpg

photo IMG_1178_zpseb7ufnp2.jpg

photo IMG_1179_zpshmd0jurg.jpg

On the way back to the car....the deer in this park are very friendly, they are so used to people

photo IMG_1181_zps8f3bzfso.jpg

Age group award

photo IMG_1183_zpsundvx7de.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a nice series of races held during the summer months, with race locations being various parks around San Antonio. The kids are the ones who benefit from this program, and each are mentored by an adult running person during the year, culminating with this series of races.  For age group and other race award winners, placques nicely done by E-Dragon Productions.  Very reasonably priced too, and if you bundle the 4 races, you get a nice discount.  Definitely will do these in the future when they are held and certainly would recommend them to others.

Thanks so much to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement out there for us, food vendors, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all for what you do so we participants can have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

That looks like a nice park to run in. Was most of the course shaded?