Beginners and Beyond

Beat the Heat Saturday Dailies (Read 22 times)

delicate flower

Nice job Baboon and Fred...under the circumstances! Shitty races are better than no races. 

16 miles with 8 at MP. Paces were about where I wanted them to be, but the effort felt harder than I’d like, and it seems there is no way in hell I could ever hold it for 26.2 miles. So, just like always at this point in the cycle. Race is two weeks from tomorrow. 

Pro tip: cola flavored Gu is disgusting.

I brought three Hammer Gels to my race today and used them all...for a half marathon.  I took the Nutella flavored one 15 minutes before the race, then an espresso one w/caffeine at mile 4, and another at mile 9.  I wasn't in the mood but forced myself for the fuel because I needed it.

Also, nice run, Dave!  Looking forward to your marathon.

<3

delicate flower

Well, it was a hot day on a slow course and being 55 years old didn't matter because they were doing 10-year age groups, so I was right in the middle of the 50-59 band.  My time was not even close to a PR thanks to conditions, but I did come in 2nd in my AG.

My son ran the 5k and won his AG (1-14 M) and came in 24th overall out of 141. (Where's the proud father icon?)

AG awards all over the place for the Freds!  Congrats to you both!

I need to look at the race calendar and find my next race.  Races are back, but not all the races are back.  So with limited choices, they tend to be locally-stacked fields.  Three guys in my race today were in the 1:10 range.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Thanks, everyone.

Baboon - congrats on your race.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Half Crazy K 2.0

Fred, congrats to you and your son on the AG placement!

LRB

1:32:16 in my HM.  12 OA, 1 AG.  886' of uphill, with some warm humidity added in.  I assumed this would be a short course (I got 12.86) but other folks got 13.1, so maybe it's just me?? Anyway, I had a good run.  The course was relentless.  At no point during this race did I feel like I was going fast.  I won my AG by 8+ minutes.

You fittin' to go sub-1:25.

LRB

Funny thing about my rehab is that I was making little progress, with soreness and tightness after every run no matter how slow or short. Then, two weeks ago, I ran 2 miles "hard" on the back end of a 5 mile run. During my run, I stopped at a bagel shop to get a bagel for my daughter who had a rowing regatta that morning. I was late because I ran a bit more than I should have before getting to the store. So, I picked things up on the way home, not because I intended to but, because I would have been in deep doodoo if I didn't get the bagel home by 7am! Ever since, the tendinopathy has been much better. Maybe the faster pace loosened up scar tissue or something. Anyway, I'm happy it's in remission or whatever this current state is called. I'm now doing two PT sessions a week for a while to try and build glute, hammy and general strength in the hope I can build my miles and pace this summer without straining it again. We'll see...

That would be a welcomed change to what faster paces did to it last year.

LRB

Morning, I did the minimum length run that I call a LR, that is 2 hours flat.

Did a tempo section of 23'/5'/23' that would normally be MP/15KP/MP, but because of the heat, and my lack of acclimatation to it, I did it by effort. Resulting paces are 7:00 / 6:52 / 6:58. I might have taken it a bit too easy in the 5 minutes, but overall the numbers show I managed my effort pretty well. RP blew up and did the 2nd 23' at 7:30ish pace.

Pro Tip: Don't kill your running partner. 

Nice run. 👍

LRB

Well, it was a hot day on a slow course and being 55 years old didn't matter because they were doing 10-year age groups, so I was right in the middle of the 50-59 band.  My time was not even close to a PR thanks to conditions, but I did come in 2nd in my AG.

My son ran the 5k and won his AG (1-14 M) and came in 24th overall out of 141. (Where's the proud father icon?)

We'll use PFI for short. 

LRB

Nice job Baboon and Fred...under the circumstances! Shitty races are better than no races. 

16 miles with 8 at MP. Paces were about where I wanted them to be, but the effort felt harder than I’d like, and it seems there is no way in hell I could ever hold it for 26.2 miles. So, just like always at this point in the cycle. Race is two weeks from tomorrow. 

Pro tip: cola flavored Gu is disgusting.

Hmm, I haven't had a cola anything in so long, I'd probably barf that up. lol

LRB

As for me, I got all dressed up and headed over to a barbecue that isn't happening for another 7 days. There is so much about this bone-headed move that can't be undone it's not even funny. 

delicate flower

As for me, I got all dressed up and headed over to a barbecue that isn't happening for another 7 days. There is so much about this bone-headed move that can't be undone it's not even funny. 

lol

And now you need to find dinner.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lol, LRB.

congrats, racers!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ran my 10 today.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Congratulations to Fred, Baboon and Wolvmar.

I ran 8.

My main question here is how dressed up do you get for a barbecue?

Dave