Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 16: Culinaria Wine and Beer 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

A BIG THANKS to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%2016%20Culinaria%205K?sort=2

Before My Start

My 16th race of 2019 was the Culinaria Wine and Beer 5K Wine held on March 16, 2019. Culinaria is a year-round organization committed to the celebration of local food, wine, and spirits in San Antonio and the support a lot of local charitable organizations throughout the year at many festivals and events. Since Sunday was St. Patrick's Day, there were quite a few people in green including me.  Race start time of 8 a.m. at Shops at La Cantera, a huge complex of multi-stores, eateries, bars-and-grills, etc.  Six Flag Fiesta Texas is right next door to the complex.  Race start time of 8 a.m.  I arrived with about an hour to go until start time and got a few pre-start photos.

I have arrived..

photo 010_zpsliyojgdr.jpg

A little blurry, sorry, my camera does not like the dark. These are a few of the set-up people that were doing the timing, results, etc. They were onsite at about 4:30 a.m.

photo 001_zpsjarhtwsr.jpg

Race day volunteers, selling some souvenir shirts, etc.

photo 002_zpskam3r3uy.jpg

photo 004_zpsquqtv0q5.jpg

Music and sound guy

photo 013_zps5kdmgv3r.jpg

Pancakes before the run, anyone?  They also had them after

photo 014_zps2xgu0s8p.jpg

Various others

photo 006_zpsbmcrumwv.jpg

photo 007_zpsyud8wnsh.jpg

photo 008_zpscujkk7h8.jpg

photo 009_zpsvklsyhjk.jpg

Ahh, sun is up now....better...

photo 011_zpswz6fvrdu.jpg

photo 012_zpsarqicnpo.jpg

photo 015_zpsyfv5lpj3.jpg

photo 017_zpsfgrpzdft.jpg

With friend Michelle.  We met many years ago at the very first time this race was done.

photo 019_zpsputwt3bc.jpg

My friends here are quite speedy walkers

photo 020_zps6cqhtkrx.jpg

Look at the camera, doggie...

photo 021_zpskpd2nveo.jpg

Good doggie

photo 022_zpsg9vsno1a.jpg

photo 025_zpsnwgbo8sb.jpg

Friend Jill, quite a speedy walker

photo 026_zps6ps3sghr.jpg

photo 023_zpsonuw02jm.jpg

photo 024_zpstcmi41vg.jpg

On the Course

Out-and-back course around the various parking lots at the Shops at La Cantera.  Not a lot of scenery, but for doing a parking lot run the course was pretty well thought out, so it  was not laps, thank goodness, since this shopping area is so big.  The coruse was a tad short, however, at 2.9 instead of 3.1.  I don't think anyone minded at all, lol, just got us back faster to the post-race food, beer, and wine.  Probably next year they may just move the start finish line back a bit and thaw would make up the distance.

photo 027_zpsdy6y5xaw.jpg

photo 029_zps8czbopmp.jpg

photo 030_zpstb5m7bvl.jpg

photo 031_zpszdjuhjjo.jpg

photo 032_zpsiqyexqdn.jpg

photo 033_zpse2kfyj50.jpg

Made the turn-round and am heading to the finish

photo 034_zpsrqnrfehu.jpg

My friend heading for the finish

photo 035_zpsyox1hryc.jpg

photo 036_zpsuswe4jab.jpg

Strollers allowed.  The course streets were nice and wide, so lots of room to maneuver.

photo 038_zpsf5u4rws2.jpg

photo 039_zpslrgniq7e.jpg

photo 040_zpse7fh6g2y.jpg

After My Finish

I ended up with 32 minutes and change. Awards were given to the first in each age group, which sure was not me, lol, so I wandered around getting some photos and some food...but did not get any beer from the event because whichever company brought the beer, which was Michelob beer, did not bring nearly enough, the beer was gone in about 20 minutes, good grief.  Need better planning on that for next time. Oh well. Lots of other stuff - wine, tequila, and lots of various foods - and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

One of the after-race choices

photo 055_zps2w2agrp5.jpg

photo 041_zpsvft0dqzu.jpg

This guy is wearing the race shirt participants got

photo 042_zpskd6humwb.jpg

photo 043_zpsmdjd4fcd.jpg

photo 044_zpslw0w6sj1.jpg

photo 045_zps5e4w5lpj.jpg

photo 046_zpsbdlyphob.jpg

photo 047_zpsc6hwzpzb.jpg

photo 048_zpsdtv1svew.jpg

photo 049_zpsotselurw.jpg

Ran behind this guy in the middle for a while.  Inspiring and motivating.

photo 051_zpszhgypbnn.jpg

photo 052_zps19ntbd5h.jpg

photo 053_zpsbhppdv0q.jpg

photo 054_zps77alcr4i.jpg

photo 056_zpsqys6fnfk.jpg

photo 057_zps2le08r4v.jpg

photo 058_zps6olpkuow.jpg

photo 059_zpsovttnsud.jpg

One of the local shop bars right near the finish area kindly supported the participants and event by opening its doors, so me and few friends went in there - warmer too inside - and so I got my beer after all.  photo 060_zpsofp1qlwx.jpg

Back outside to get a few more photos

photo 061_zpsp1rhwrwr.jpg

photo 062_zpsgktocrvy.jpg

Found friend Michelle again, who finished faster than I did, as usual.

photo 063_zpsy2khsppa.jpg

photo 064_zpsbezyxjlk.jpg

photo 065_zpsid84ldcl.jpg

photo 066_zpsmvly4wm2.jpg

photo 067_zps9ebaqjy9.jpg

Modeling the finisher medals.  I think they are the finisher medals. I never saw these, so not sure.  photo 068_zpsgvyz5cmw.jpg

photo 069_zps3e0tapau.jpg

photo 070_zpsyqtq3ecv.jpg

photo 071_zpsak4sf03u.jpg

photo 072_zpssc6kwlnz.jpg

photo 073_zpsm85lehhi.jpg

Back inside...my friends were still after-partying, lol

photo 074_zps1ldfcc8t.jpg

photo 075_zpsrr5rgsbi.jpg

Epilogue

In spite of the short course and not enough beer for everyone who wanted one, pretty nicely organized event. With what he had to work with, Race Director Scott Peacock did a pretty good job of creating a parking lot race route that was not too boring at all, and the out-and-back was a nice touch - the times I've done this one before it was a loop course - as you got to see and cheer friends on along the way.  Pretty nicely designed quality race shirts and lots and lots and lots of various goodies post-race.  This event almost always sells out, it is so popular. We also had some pretty decent weather - around 52 at start time, but this time of year our normal is usually in the 60s in the am - with some sunshine and cloud cover.  All-in-all, an event I certainly would do again and would recommend to others.

Mucho thanks to all the folks that made this one happen for we participants:   Shops at La Cantera Management and stores personnel and their security folks out there for us who let us invade their space for about many hours;  and, of course, all the sponsors and vendors, volunteers, setup folks, race director, etc., who all had to be out there very early to get everything going for us; and anyone else involved I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt