Beginners and Beyond

A Cheater at the Go! St. Louis Marathon this past weekend (Read 87 times)

cjones1

Did you see the pic of her? She just looks like a little weasel, RW has a better article on it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/rosie-ruiz-of-st-louis-marathon-identified

Kendall Schler - Go Marathon 1

Is this the real winner or the cheater?

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

outoftheblue

Has anyone read the story of Kip Litton (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man)?   He had a big blog in which he was claiming to run all these sub-3 races.  In his case, he was actually managing to cross the timing chip mats, but there was never any photographic evidence of him on the course, and in the smaller races people running similar times were not seeing him on the course.  It's a fascinating story -- how much time and effort this person was undertaking to maintain this charade.  He actually made up an entire race, complete with participants he had made up at links accounts for, which he "won."

Life is good.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

the cheater

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Little Blue

That's the cheater.

Hip Redux

Check out the video of her crossing the finish line.  Not for nothing, but she even looks like she was jogging and not racing. Not a very good faker.  Linky.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Check out the video of her crossing the finish line.  Not for nothing, but she even looks like she was jogging and not racing. Not a very good faker.  Linky.

Freaking weasel, she knew she cheated and still took the pics. The lady official in the suit even looked shocked and suspicious when this weasel crossed the finish line.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

RSX

Someone looked up her past results and discovered she has a 37 minute 5k and 2:38 half marathon to credit. Given those performances I couldn't see her accepting the invitation to run Boston - unless she was planning on using the T. The news media kept mentioning the Boston invite being pulled when in reality it was likely a non-issue.

Hard to cheat Boston with mats at every 5k, and being point to point. At least 1 Masters runner has been accused though..

I wonder about the timing of the invite being pulled. This week is kind of late.

Ric-G

And wouldn't the fact she's wearing 3/4 tights be a giveaway? 

yes. when i saw the video, i found that odd too.

marathon pr - 3:16

Ric-G

yes again. not a very good cheater, the witch.

marathon pr - 3:16

Love the Half

yes again. not a very good cheater, the witch.

A witch, a witch

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

You know, I get why people bandit a race.  I don't sanction it but I understand why folks do it.  Hell, a lot of bandits never even cross the finish line.  They hop in mid-point, enjoy a supported long run, and hop out a few miles from the end.  Again, I think it's wrong but I understand why people do it.  I can't for the life of me fathom why people do stuff like this.  It was one thing when not everyone was wearing bibs and you didn't have chip timing.  These days, it's nearly impossible to get away with it if you finish near the top of the pack.  Someone is going to figure it out.  Yeah, you can get by with it if you finish 578th out of 3,421 but not if you finish 1st for crying out loud.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Cyberic

Yeah, it sucks for the real winner that her moment was stolen away.

I'm sure LRB, if he really tried, could run a 2:50 marathon with 3/4 tights. But his bib would not be hidden, every race official on the course would remember him, and there would be gazillions of pics of him taken by the photographers Smile

RSX

Bandits don't just "run" 26.2. I have seen it at other races even 5ks. People who are pacers are bandits if they don't have #'s as an example. 2 of my friends have run in Boston runners from 13.1. I bandited Boston in 2000 but never again because I want a medal for my efforts.

I know 2 people who had #'s copied at last year's Boston. This year all Boston runners have been told if you post your # on FB before Monday, you may be disqualified if it gets copied.

DavePNW

Has anyone read the story of Kip Litton (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man)?   He had a big blog in which he was claiming to run all these sub-3 races.  In his case, he was actually managing to cross the timing chip mats, but there was never any photographic evidence of him on the course, and in the smaller races people running similar times were not seeing him on the course.  It's a fascinating story -- how much time and effort this person was undertaking to maintain this charade.  He actually made up an entire race, complete with participants he had made up at links accounts for, which he "won."

Yes. That is a fascinating story. Long article, but well worth the read. Total sociopath.

Dave

Cyberic

Wow! Just read this. Quite long article, but very interesting.