Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES - Ugha (Read 33 times)

LRB

6 miles. Still warm, but wind was kicking up, so at times it felt a lot cooler.

I have not visited my dealer the cupcake shop in over a month. Is the scale really doing anything? Not really. 

Unless you go to an extreme, it can take a minute..

LRB

We call those prediction runs around here. Our store/timing team actually put on a fair few throughout the year. I'm always surprised how many people put down fast times. I put down my easy pace because my body pretty much knows how to run that without any thought.

I would too unless it's a prediction jog. lol

LRB

My ass is sore from the glute work I did yesterday. Me likey.

Cyberic

I feel some obligation to do it no matter what since I made him register for it.  He has no sense in his head to think it's a dumb idea to do it 

Just adjust your expectations, and make the most of it.

Cyberic

Weight

Ever since I got my Stryd, I've been reading stuff about power and running economy. There was a chapter about weight in a book I just read.

In the power formula, speed and weight are inversely proportional, meaning that for a given power, if weight goes up by 1%, speed will go down by 1%.

So a given runner, say LRB or Onemile, through their training, running form, cardiovascular capacity and so on, can generate a given amount of power for a given amount of time, say 400 watts for 20:00. The 400 watts they can generate will remain the same as they lose fat weight,  and they will gain 1% speed for every 1% if weight lost. Obviously that doesn't work if you lose so much weight that you lose muscle mass, as your power will also drop.

Some math:

John weighs 150 lbs and runs a 5K in 25:00. 25 minutes is 1500 seconds. If John loses 2% weight and goes down to 147 lbs, he will run the 5K in 2% less time, and that is 30s, so his 5K time will drop to 24:30 with the same power

onemile

Weight

Ever since I got my Stryd, I've been reading stuff about power and running economy. There was a chapter about weight in a book I just read.

In the power formula, speed and weight are inversely proportional, meaning that for a given power, if weight goes up by 1%, speed will go down by 1%.

So a given runner, say LRB or Onemile, through their training, running form, cardiovascular capacity and so on, can generate a given amount of power for a given amount of time, say 400 watts for 20:00. The 400 watts they can generate will remain the same as they lose fat weight,  and they will gain 1% speed for every 1% if weight lost. Obviously that doesn't work if you lose so much weight that you lose muscle mass, as your power will also drop.

will the stryd thing accurately track my distance at the indoor track? my coach wants me to get it for this or some kind of footpod. It's kinda expensive though

bluerun

Super B****

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

will the stryd thing accurately track my distance at the indoor track? my coach wants me to get it for this or some kind of footpod. It's kinda expensive though

There's a little Black Friday special right now (20$ less) but still expensive. It's so reliable as a foot pod, that I configured my Garmin to give me pace and distance from it INSTEAD of GPS. For the past 7 weeks, all my GPS does is track where I've been. Don't actually need a GPS anymore. No auto-calibrate either. It's at 100% (default factory calibration) and I deactivated the auto-calibration as it's great as it is. So now I get the exact same readings if I'm running indoors or outdoors because the source of pace and distance is Stryd in both cases.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There's a little Black Friday special right now (20$ less) but still expensive. It's so reliable as a foot pod, that I configured my Garmin to give me pace and distance from it INSTEAD of GPS. For the past 7 weeks, all my GPS does is track where I've been. Don't actually need a GPS anymore. No auto-calibrate either. It's at 100% (default factory calibration) and I deactivated the auto-calibration as it's great as it is. So now I get the exact same readings if I'm running indoors or outdoors because the source of pace and distance is Stryd in both cases.

I've been thinking of getting one for the HR info and for the TM since I've heard it's very accurate.  But I've been delaying since I am not using the TM.

Maybe they will have a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale.

Damaris

Cyberic

DCRainmaker Stryd review

here’s the three metrics once time-aligned to run start/stop length (1,806 seconds):

Stryd: 5448 m
                      Garmin 735XT: 5441 m
                      Suunto Spartan Ultra: 5438 m

So basically, the footpod is within 7-10-meters (with no calibration).  That’s incredibly impressive. 

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/08/stryd-running-power-meter-v2.html

Cyberic

I've been thinking of getting one for the HR info and for the TM since I've heard it's very accurate.  But I've been delaying since I am not using the TM.

Maybe they will have a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale.

There is. It's the first sentence of my post

onemile

I've been thinking of getting one for the HR info

what HR info would it give?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

what HR info would it give?

Sorry I wrote that automatically.  It should have said power. 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There is. It's the first sentence of my post

Gah, I thought that was just a sale right now and not for Black Friday.  Normally I don't see the specials announced until Friday or Monday so I was hoping, lol.

Damaris

Cyberic

Gah, I thought that was just a sale right now and not for Black Friday.  Normally I don't see the specials announced until Friday or Monday so I was hoping, lol.

I'm on their mailing list now, and they like sending emails