Beginners and Beyond

RR - Mt. Charleston Marathon Factoids (Read 46 times)

Cyberic

There's a well-known downhill race around here called Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon. Because the first 3 miles are through an unlit tunnel. But after that initial flat portion, it gradually descends 2000 feet over the remaining 23 miles. Website says "It's never steep enough to be uncomfortable; you just feel like you're having a good day." Although it also says it's a gravel trail. A lot of people use it to PR/BQ; I am kind of avoiding it so far, because it seems a little hokey to do it that way. Although I'm probably not too proud to give in, if I continue to come up short by other means.

Some people cheat to get in. This is legal. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Ric-G

Did the downhill make it hard to rein yourself in the first half? I'd think it would be easy to burn yourself out - even if it continued downhill, it's still a marathon.

Dave, I generally suck at pacing. Any "successful" marathon I have ever run has included consistent splits. (rolling, flat, etc.) And in my book a 3 to 5 minute positive split is close enough. I have stupidly run downhill courses before and screwed up with big positive splits. So my biggest checkpoints in a marathon are the halfway point and then 20 miles. If I did not screw up pace-wise by that point, then I have a better idea if I can finish well.

marathon pr - 3:16