Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 23 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh, sounds horrible, Cy.   Hoping for no infection.

Damaris

DavePNW

Tooth was too far gone. I opted to have it taken out.

Problem: my sinus membrane is right there in the hole left by the tooth, with no bone to make a barrier from the sinus. There's even a small hole in the membrane. No running until Saturday. No hard running until a checkup next Thursday. My marathon might even be out of the question. I'll know next Thursday, depending on how everything is looking.

I'm in shock.

Shit.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Cyberic, damn. That sound horribly painful with the tooth.

sdWhiskers

I love it during long runs (and of course, before the race).

I can't do it before or during a run but I love me a mountain dew after a run. Yes, yes, I still drink regular soda and not diet. I drink no coffee or tea so need my caffeine one way or another.

sdWhiskers

Problem: my sinus membrane is right there in the hole left by the tooth, with no bone to make a barrier from the sinus. There's even a small hole in the membrane. No running until Saturday. No hard running until a checkup next Thursday. My marathon might even be out of the question. I'll know next Thursday, depending on how everything is looking.

I'm in shock.

Yikes!

From all my past teeth issues, I've learned to try and get in your normal calories.  If you are able to run, you'll be in a rough spot if you've been eating only ice cream and jello. Hope you get some good news next week.

LRB

I had a tooth infection that penetrated the sinus membrane once. You would've thought I had a gun shot would to the brain the way the dentist reacted, he lost his shit.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I had a tooth infection that penetrated the sinus membrane once. You would've thought I had a gun shot would to the brain the way the dentist reacted, he lost his shit.

I think the issue is that the brain ain't that far from the sinus. And if the infection spreads there, you're fucked.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I hear you.  My infection was close to infecting that and it hurts already in and of itself, I can't imagine if it had spread.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

One of my coworkers has had sinus issues forever (I think from her smoking) and her infection spread to the back of the neck/spine.  She is still dealing with issues, drainage, surgeries, etc.

Damaris

LRB

I think the issue is that the brain ain't that far from the sinus. And if the infection spreads there, you're fucked.

It was bizarre. They were like, scared for me. Meanwhile, I was like when can I get the F up out of here.

Had a similar situation last year with one of my implants. If he was concerned however, he didn't let it show.

LRB

No running until Saturday. No hard running until a checkup next Thursday. My marathon might even be out of the question. I'll know next Thursday, depending on how everything is looking.

What does The Google say?

Baboon

delicate flower

Cy, that sounds freakin awful.  

<3

RunningOnSand

I'm in shock.

So what do they do at the checkup? just make sure it's not infected? Are you getting an implant? WTF?

RunningOnSand

In case anyone was interested in reading more about sinuses being exposed after tooth extractions, here you go.

Cyberic

The dentist prescribed antibiotics to prevent sinus infection. He did not say it was infected, just that it was not protected by anything. The non running is for the blood clog in the tooth hole to really "take root", as that is how healing starts. Running will increase the blood flow, and we don't want the blood clog to go away.

I usually heal fast. So I'm pretty confident. The scary part is that what I have to heal can usually be seen or felt, so I have some feedback to monitor the progress. This sinus not being protected thing, how do I know if it's ok or not? I'll have to rely on the dentist's opinion, and I'm afraid he'll play it extra safe. Even after 10 days, the idea is to know if the healing is solid enough to withold the pressure that will be generated in the sinuses during a marathon. I have no idea what my body goes through in those last 3 miles. Is there pressure in the sinuses or not???

I might try to Dr Google that. I'm really not sure I'll find anything interesting.